Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-732

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Looking for some "real world" opinions on this unit.

I have been looking for bit at a unit like this, and the Maverick seems to be the most popular.

I went to order one from Amazon and was slightly deterred by some of the reviews. ie Probe lengthe is too short, probes failing after only a few uses, not accurate. etc. I know its more human nature to condemn than to praise, so Im looking for some "real" users to see if the Mav is an ok product to purchase.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I love mine. I fried one probe but it was my fault(egg got to 700). I leave my unit outside all the time with no issues. Battery's last for weeks with the unit turned on.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Works just fine for me, and I've been using two for about 6 months.  I have had one probe go bad in that time.

Will not work above 600 degrees, but I don't know why you'd want to.  If you accidently over heat and get the dreaded HHH, just remove the probe until the Egg cools below 600, and it should come back.

The meat probe is long enough for me, and replacement probe have a 6 foot cable (which is a pain in the neck IMO).

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    +1 on the long replacement cables being a pain in the neck.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    It's fine, buy it. Not sure if there's a better option in that price range. Treat it like consumables, if you use it a lot you will need replacement probes or a new one eventually.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I got mine on Amazon...love it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Love mine also.  I use it on all cooks when I use the Platsetter.  I always run the probe wires along the platesetter so they are shielded from the direct heat.  I find the probe wire length is just fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Had mine for 4 months, to date works just fine. I do not even set it up when doing pizza, have seen some photos of folks who do - I think they are asking for trouble. I have the short probes, 3 foot, and sometimes they even seem too long.
    BBQ alarms, high and low, food temp alarm are easy to set except for the time it takes to lower one of the alarm points. If your BBQ low is at 250 and you want to reset it to 225, you have to hold the button until the temp display counts up to the maximum and then restarts at the minimum to zero in on your target. Seems to take forever, even though it is only seconds.
    I use the timer when using my electric starter, do not want to forget it is on.
    Sometimes I wish there was a better unit with the features of the Maverick. I like the stand alone wireless, do not want blu-tooth. IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I really like mine.  I do not recommend the ET 73.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • hondabbq
    edited October 2012

Works just fine for me, and I've been using two for about 6 months.  I have had one probe go bad in that time.

Will not work above 600 degrees, but I don't know why you'd want to.  If you accidently over heat and get the dreaded HHH, just remove the probe until the Egg cools below 600, and it should come back.

The meat probe is long enough for me, and replacement probe have a 6 foot cable (which is a pain in the neck IMO).

Receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 F

Taken from the Maverick site.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• hondabbq
    Ordered my Mav today.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The dome thermometer works fine for me on hot stuff.  That's were you get probe failures.  My advice, don't use your maverick for anything over 400F dome. 

The dome thermometer works fine for me on hot stuff.  That's were you get probe failures.  My advice, don't use your maverick for anything over 400F dome. 
    My plan was to only use it for the long cooks. I also ordered a Thermapen as well for everything else.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    hondabbq said:

My plan was to only use it for the long cooks. I also ordered a Thermapen as well for everything else.
    The thermapen rocks the party.  You get a better feel for the temp throughout the meat if you "poke" it in several places every now and then.
  • I had the older ET-73 before I got the ET-732.  Both units work fine, and the 732 has a longer transmit distance, so I like that.  After fighting w/ the default-length probe wires (I think they were 2 or 3 feet), when I ordered the 732, I decided to "upgrade" to the 6-foot long wires & I like those a lot better.  I also started wrapping the probe wires in aluminum foil to help protect them (something I had never done on the older ones). 

All-in-all I like the unit, however, after having used both the 73, as well as the 732, I have a couple gripes about some (in my view, unneeded) changes to the 732. 

First, the battery compartment on the transmitter is held in place by tiny screws.  This requires you to use those little eyeglass or computer screwdrivers to change the batteries.  The 73 had a thumb-slide on-off compartment - MUCH more convenient!!

Also, the 732 has only 1 button to change the target temp - you can only change the temp in ascending numerical order (ie, 1,2,3,4...) rather than both ascending AND descending (as was the case w/ the 73).  This is a pain if the target temp of your previous cook was higher than your next cook. 

For instance, let's say the last cook I did, I set my target temp to be 165.  However, the next cook I wanna do, I want to set the target temp to be 140.  The crappy thing is I have to hold the button down & go up from 165, ALL THE WAY around (I think the max target temp is like 500, or something), and back around to 140 - rather than just go back from 165 to 140 - LAME!!!

Anyway, aside from those couple minor inconveniences - I'd still say it's a WINNER!!

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Spoke too soon. Two days ago all was OK, yesterday my Maverick went crazy. The food probe is Ok, but the pit probe has gone nuts. Will suddenly change from a current valid temp of 275 to 380 then display LLL, alarm will activate. By the time I walk to the egg, it has reset and all is normal. Found if I moved the probe wire slightly the display would again go crazy. Maverick is in the process of sending another probe. 

I really wish there was something from Thermoworks with the same wireless feature. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I've got a 73. Bought it in April of this year. It is perfect, zero problems or complaints. I've never took it over 400 tho, don't see the need. I've got my thermapen for fancy stuff.

I'd strongly recommend this product, would buy another tomorrow.

XLBGE 
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    If you wrap the leads in foil they last much longer. It seems to keep the smoke and grease out of the braid. Be sure to foil abit past where the cable and probe are attached.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Being still fairly new at this and accessory challenged....what's a thermapen?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2012
    henapple said:

Best instant read thermometer ever. Made in England. Pricey but well worth it.
    Made by thermoworks.
  • hondabbq
    edited October 2012
    Could you put aluminum tape where the probe and the braid meet to prevent moisture from getting in or preventing a failure and the joint?
  • hondabbq
    edited October 2012
    henapple said:

389 posts in this forum and you dont know what a Thermapen is? Really? I think someone is fibbing.