Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Q battery operated controller??

2»

Comments

• Thanks mickey. That's good people right there :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • So I'm trying to quantify battery life on the party Q.  I have cooked at various temperatures with the original battery incuded (4 AA regular energizers, not the copper tops but the cheaper silver and black ones included with the PartyQ).  I have cooked, on my XL BGE, low and slow, well over 30 hours with no signs of the batteries dying,  Temperatures were set to 250 degrees through 2 overnight cooks.  2 Pork Butts on 2 separate occasions.  Am going through the second load of chicken legs and thighs right now set for 300  degrees for the big Boss's day lunch tomorrow, and they are still working as new. I will replace with the rechargeable AA's I already have for other radios etc.  I really do like the simple Party Q device, and my worst fears about short battery life have been put to rest.

To sum up, 2 loads of pork butts 14 hours each, is 28 hours
    3 loads of chicken pieces (thighs and legs) at 1.5 to 2 hours each, is about 6 hours

It all equals 34 hours total on the original batteries.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    wow, that's awesome battery life.  Way more than I would have guessed.  Maybe if you get the vents just about right, the fan doesn't run much.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • First of all...Thanks Mickey. Got the loaner party Q today. I'm properly lubricated and about to fire up the egg for an overnight brisket. So all you guys that use these things....is there a Trick to setting the daisy or anything else I should know?????
  • Thanks everyone! What would I possibly do without the support from this forum????? Awesome.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    If I had one I would help. But I don't. Just winging it my assumption would be to set it according to desired temp, and I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.
  • U_tarded said:
    If I had one I would help. But I don't. Just winging it my assumption would be to set it according to desired temp, and I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

I'm just messing around :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't know the party Q, but I have a DigiQ.... Should work the same.  Daisy wheel doesn't really matter.  Just keep it half way and work the damper on the party Q - more closed if you can't get the temp down.  That's about it.  If it doesn't have a damper, the party Q should handle it.
    Lemme add, if you still can't get the temp down and the partyQ doesn't have a damper, then close the DW and ignore when I said the DW doesn't matter.  Cause I can see cost savings in that scenario from BBQ Guru.
  • Lemme add, if you still can't get the temp down and the partyQ doesn't have a damper, then close the DW and ignore when I said the DW doesn't matter.  Cause I can see cost savings in that scenario from BBQ Guru.

no damper on the party Q. It's all daisy. I got it figured out all by myself (closed the daisy a little more. Im smart like that).
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sweet.  I was too lazy to look it up, still haven't, but I did a double-take on the douchiness on posting conjecture and thought after the first post that damper on my DigiQ looked expensive to make. So I posted more.

U_tarded said:

I'm just messing around :)
    I was just messing around hence the bad holiday inn joke from some old commercials.  you could have just started a couple of threads instead.  
  • I just left my DW cracked open about 25%.  I stayed that way through the entire cook and held steady at 250 where I set it.