Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found in charcoal

Newbbqer
Newbbqer Posts: 78
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Filling up the egg for tonight's cook, I started moving some bigger pieces around and look what I found. A big piece of plastic. That would not have been good had I not noticed it. This came out of a 20 # bag of BGE lump.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Yep you will occasionally find rocks, plastic, metal...all sort of fun stuff..dump carefully, but dump the lump all the same...
  • I found a 12in piece of aluminum band in my 20lb bge lump.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I found a Willy Wonka golden ticket in a bag of juicy blueberry briar lump.  I was so angry because I'm a savory kind of guy.
  • It's definitely not cool when this happens but is to be expected. Especially when buying a big name manufacturing company. Read about how charcoal is made. So far I haven't found anything but lump in my RO (same company)

XLBGE 
  • I found a Willy Wonka golden ticket in a bag of juicy blueberry briar lump.  I was so angry because I'm a savory kind of guy.

Oompa, loompa, doopity, doo.  I've got another puzzle for you! 

What do you get in a bad sack of lump?  Stones & debris make you feel like a chump!  Get on the Forum just to whine & complain.  Eggheads reply and they share the same pain!

I'LL NEVER BUY THAT LUMP AGAIN!  Oompa, loompa... 

Flint, Michigan
  • I found a Willy Wonka golden ticket in a bag of juicy blueberry briar lump.  I was so angry because I'm a savory kind of guy.

What do you get in a bad sack of lump?  Stones & debris make you feel like a chump!  Get on the Forum just to whine & complain.  Eggheads reply and they share the same pain!

=))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I found a Willy Wonka golden ticket in a bag of juicy blueberry briar lump.  I was so angry because I'm a savory kind of guy.

Perfect Fred, just perfect!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    You guys open the bags?  Waste of time.  I just put the bag in the egg and light the bag itself.  I Egg to relax, I don't think opening a bag, emptying it into the Egg, then picking through it for foreign objects, etc.  

I'm just saying, opening the bags and looking through the lump, then finding another way to light it is too much work.  I bought my Egg to relax, not to do more work.  Just light the bag.

:)) Just kidding.  Worst thing I've found was a rock or 10 in all different brands.  The plastic is a little bothersome if you don't find it.  
  • I am new but my first bag had a nail and a big chunk of what looked like burned glass in it.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Yikes...these stories scare me a bit.  Sounds like some bags need to be labeled "Natural Lump Charcoal..and some other junk"
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

I had half a brick in my most recent bag of the beloved WGWW

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've found rocks. It'd "stink" to not notice the plastic. I'm sure the meal would be ruined.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    i found fiber glass and insulation in a 8lb bag from royal oak. kinda scary. I use a high q and never sort or whatever it is you eagle scouts do to the lump. I now at least watch as i pour it in and stir a couple time with my ash tool. I belive if i had cooked plastic in mine i would call bge and ask for a new egg. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I found Jimmy Hoffa in a bag of Wicked Good last week. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

Trim,

Call Geraldo...quick...

:D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's a big bag....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499

Now THAT was great!!!  ^:)^
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)