Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hope this is not your favorite restaurant

Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Kentucky restaurant shut down after road kill found in kitchen

Published October 01, 2012

A Chinese restaurant in Kentucky has reportedly been forced to shut its doors after allegedly serving up roadkill.

WKYT.com reports that the Red Flower Chinese Restaurant in Williamsburg was shuttered on Thursday after a customer called the health department when she saw a dead deer being wheeled into the kitchen.

"Two of the workers came in wheeling a garbage can and they had a box sitting on top of it,” Kate Hopkins told the website. “And hanging out of the garbage can, they were trying to be real quick with it. So that nobody could see it. But there was like a tail, and a foot and leg. Sticking out of the garbage can and they wheeled it straight back into the kitchen.”

Paul Lawson, Whitley County’s environmental health inspector, said the owner’s son admitted to pick up the dead animal from the side of I-75 North in Williamsburg. The restaurant was immediately shut down.

"They said they didn't know that they weren't allowed to,” Lawson said. “So that makes me concerned. But maybe they could have before. They didn't admit to doing it before.”

Owners can reopen the restaurant, Lawson said, if it passes a secondary health inspection proving that they have properly sanitized it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Non legal meats in freezer is what was in the paper for closing one here in Killeen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    That's disturbing. I rarely eat out for dinner but have to for lunch about every weekday.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Atleast it wasn't the neighborhood cats.  That happened to a chinese place by my house when i was growing up.
  • Glad to see they're resourceful!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Another reason to stay home and have a great meal on the egg. 

Not to sound racist, but 9 times out of 10, the folks that are found trying to illegally harvest inedible "red tide" poisoned shellfish on the west coast are selling to or outright own asian restaurants. No wonder people get sick. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657

Not to sound racist, but 9 times out of 10, the folks that are found trying to illegally harvest inedible "red tide" poisoned shellfish on the west coast are selling to or outright own asian restaurants. No wonder people get sick. 
    i know ive dug and eaten clams from closed redtide beaches for about forever, still waiting to see someone get sick from red tide in newengland
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Kentucky.  Roadkill.  Chinese restaurant.  It all makes sense to me.  :)
  • This is why I don't like eating food that is covered in thick dark sauces or fried to s___t especially at these Chinese restaurants. Its almost impossible to determine what meat you are eating. Could be a cat, rat or god forbid my missing dog. They are not all bad thou.
  • Crap!  Now what do I do?  I had reservations!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Crap!  Now what do I do?  I had reservations!
    Buy a wok and spider.  You can make far better Chinese food than the restaurants.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522

i know ive dug and eaten clams from closed redtide beaches for about forever, still waiting to see someone get sick from red tide in newengland
    :D
    Hope you always stay healthy, but if you dig from a known red tide beach (due to Alexandrium fundyense as it is known in the Atlantic) and have never had an issue, buy a lottery ticket. 
    PSP, paralytic shellfish poisoning is dangerous, the toxin in the shellfish caused by red tide cannot be cooked away, like e-coli in beef

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GREG
    GREG Posts: 22
    Everything tastes like chicken in those places.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    How come pounding venison with a 12-oz chrome hammer before sautéing is okay, but if you smack it fresh with a Ford F-350 first, its not?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I live in Kentucky and this has been getting a lot of air time here.  Eastern Kentucky is in its own world and that is where this occured.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Duganboy said:
    I live in Kentucky and this has been getting a lot of air time here.  Eastern Kentucky is in its own world and that is where this occured.
    My family on my mother's side were from Kentucky.  London, to be exact.  Beautiful country.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I work in the restaurant facilities business. The things I see in some restaurant chains will make you stay home.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch said:
    How come pounding venison with a 12-oz chrome hammer before sautéing is okay, but if you smack it fresh with a Ford F-350 first, its not?  
    Botch, i was drinking from my water bottle when I read that.

/you owe me a new keyboard :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

have you watched Zimmern or Boudain shows? The stuff they eat in thailand, or that part of Asia amazes me. Especially shots in local markets where they have scorpions, grasshoppers, worms, .....

"fresh" roadkill may be just fine there. Or maybe cured and hung??

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• That venison was probably the best meat that's been through that place. I can only imagine the creatures they cooked up for their customers in the past.
  • MEOW!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I am not sure if there is a connection but has anyone noticed that there is usually a Chinese restaurant near the vets office....maybe its just me!?!!  

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• I am not sure if there is a connection but has anyone noticed that there is usually a Chinese restaurant near the vets office....maybe its just me!?!!  
    Dang...now you are going to make me start looking!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!