Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless breasts - first attempt

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited June 2012 in Poultry
After cleaning out the egg from yesterday's kielbasi smoke, decided to try boneless chicken breasts for dinner tonight.  Rubbed with Tasty Licks 'Smokin Good BBQ Rub' and done indirect, dome temp 400 degrees, handful of pecan chips.  Pulled them at internal temp of 175 and let set 10 minutes.  The most tender, moist boneless breasts I've ever cooked.  Family loved them.  (Pic is slightly out of focus - didn't realize my son had "adjusted" my camera)

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Congrats on the success.  Now start taking them off at lower temps.  The first ones I pulled off the Egg at 160 degrees were so juicy I would have sworn they weren't done if it weren't for the fact...they were.

It's always good to get a win on the first try :)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Boneless (in my case skinless) chicken breasts are blah inside, and terrific on the Egg.  I consider them a proof of concept cook to prove the Egg does cook differently.  I marinade mine in teriyaki most often.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Tjcoley
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll take them off earlier next time, although these were very moist and tender. I've found with the egg it's easy to get a win.  This is the most forgiving cooker I've ever used.  From 25 minute Pig Candy, on up to a marathon 25 hour pulled pork smoke (patience is a virtue) I have yet to cook anything on the BGE that didn't turn out fantastic.  The best six months of eating I've had.  
  • How long did you cook the breasts on each side? These are going to be my next cook. My husband thinks we should save the BGE for longer cooks on the weekend but I want to show him that these would make a good weeknight cook. About how long from the time you lit the charcoal until you took them off of the grill?
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    How long did you cook the breasts on each side? These are going to be my next cook. My husband thinks we should save the BGE for longer cooks on the weekend but I want to show him that these would make a good weeknight cook. About how long from the time you lit the charcoal until you took them off of the grill?
    For me it would be 1 1/2 beers or one Knob Creek/rocks
  • Tjcoley
    Duganboy said:
    How long did you cook the breasts on each side? These are going to be my next cook. My husband thinks we should save the BGE for longer cooks on the weekend but I want to show him that these would make a good weeknight cook. About how long from the time you lit the charcoal until you took them off of the grill?
    Closer to two Tito's rocks.  @Grillin G Ma - I think they were about 10 - 15 minutes per side, and probably should have been a little less.  As advised above I now cook to 160 internal then take em off and let them rest a bit.  So total time of less than an hour from dumping in some fresh lump, lighting and cooking.  
    Boneless (in my case skinless) chicken breasts are blah inside, and terrific on the Egg.  I consider them a proof of concept cook to prove the Egg does cook differently.  I marinade mine in teriyaki most often.
    I think boneless breast is a blank canvas for whatever flavor profile you wish to add.  I agree, Doc, teriyaki more often than not.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Read somewhere about marinating in apple cider or peach cider. On my to do list.
    Tjcoley said:
    Duganboy said:
    Closer to two Tito's rocks.  @Grillin G Ma - I think they were about 10 - 15 minutes per side, and probably should have been a little less.  As advised above I now cook to 160 internal then take em off and let them rest a bit.  So total time of less than an hour from dumping in some fresh lump, lighting and cooking.  
    Tito's is one of the greatest things I've ever gotten off of this board.  Hard to find here in the Bluegrass, but it is one smooth drink.
  • Duganboy said:
    Tjcoley said:
    Duganboy said:
    Tito's is one of the greatest things I've ever gotten off of this board.  Hard to find here in the Bluegrass, but it is one smooth drink.
    Im enjoying a big a$$ double Tito's as we speak.so much for not drinking during the week :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    YOU are the one who put me on the Tito's CT!!!
  • Tjcoley
    Right there with you Cen-Tex.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Great cook Tj, discovered the indirect (roasting) 400-450 heat range, gives a nice crust with rubs, sugar or herb based, without the char that often comes with cooking direct (grilling). I seldom use smoke because the cook time is so short, must give it a try with pecan. Thanks!

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how anyone can drink this JD's Tennessee Honey (was a gift from a well meaning child) - must try it in a BBq sauce, because it does not make it as a sipping liquor. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Here is this evening's cook. Brushed with EVOO and covered in John Henry' s Mojave Garlic Pepper rub. BGE was set up indirect with 2 or 3 apple wood chunks thrown in for good measure. Roasted at 400 degrees turned after 10 minutes and pulled at 160 internal. Very moist and flavorful. Even took on some smoke. Thanks for ll the help guys :D
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I marinate mine in Ken's Zesty Italian Dressing and cook direct at 325, about 10 minutes a side.
    These are one of our favorite meals
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Looty
    Looty Posts: 16
    So I just followed the above ideas, 400 temp, about ten mins per side, ten min rest, pulled off at 165 internal temp. This was for two breasts, boneless and skinless. One came out great the other good. Both juicy and tasty, the good one was a bit spongy, the great was was perfect in texture. My question is why. They came from the same bag of chicken...granted it was a frozen bag of Tyson from BJ's. But I have always had good experiences with that brand. They were marinated in a white wine, vineger, parsley, olive oil, garlic salt, rosemary and pepper for a few hours. Cooked over Cowboy lump and a few chunks of cheery indirectly. I did have a spike of temp to 500 for a few mins, but quickly got it back to 400 Toughts
    Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Did you check the internal temp on both before you pulled them?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Looty
    Looty Posts: 16
    Internal temp was 165 when pulled
    Atl, Lg Egg, TV Guy
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Like you said the Egg is one forgiving cooker. You over cook something and it still comes out more moist than if you had cooked it right on most other grills.

Just to throw another time temperature combo in the mix: I did 2 boneless skinless breasts to top a pizza this past Saturday. They cooked indirect in a casserole dish on 1/2" shims on the plate setter installed legs down. They cooked for 40 minutes at 375 dome temp to reach 165. They had only been seasoned with salt & BBQ sauce, but as I was cutting up the pieces to top my pizza I sampled a few. I couldn't believe how moist and delicious they were.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Lmartin
    Lmartin Posts: 11
    I am new to the egg world. I got one for Christmas this past year. As far as chicken, I always use apple juice in drip pan. It works will with turkey and pork too. I will try beer next time to see how we like it. Love my BGE.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I like to cook the at 375 indirect. Before putting them in the grill, I soak in olive oil and slather on Rudy's Rub. I shoot for 45 minutes, never flipping, and add HEB's Raspberry Chipotle marinade when I snuff it when internal temp reaches 160. 10 minutes later, perfect. As for the Tito's, CenTex... You should try Enchanted Rock out of San Antonio. It's incredible.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • They are very good seasoned with a little EVOO and dizzy pig pineapple head. I usually pull them at 160 but got side tracked the other night and they were 175. Thought I ruined them but they were excellent.