Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tired of replacing gaskets.....

2»

Comments

• I like my platesetter and my wife the same way...legs up!

;)
    Flint, Michigan
  • BOWHUNR said:
    ...snip...
    Mike
    Generally agree, but there is a fourth choice. Thermeez from Cotronics. The 395 series is self adhesive and is good to 1100. Trouble is, it will cost you about $120 for 150 feet, three 50 foot rolls. That's the smallest amount they sell. 
    If you are on your third Nomex, you have pretty much spent that anyway. I have used Rutland gaskets on my airtight wood stoves, that's what it is designed for and it works. Have never used on the egg near foods, not sure I would, lots of others have - but that's just me. 
    just got off the phone with Dan, the engineer, at Thermeez -

The 395 is what you want.  Don't use the self-sticking, the adhesive is only rated to 300*.  They sell a high heat adhesive.

I directly asked him if their gasket was safe around food.  He directly said there was no FDA approval, but lots of BGE peeps use their products over the fiberglass and they'd never had any negative feedback.  

Their site clearly states it is safe and non-toxic "ceramic" fibers.

he also added, disappointingly, that getting the gasket wet would break it down.

8-D

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Fred19Flintstone said: I like my platesetter and my wife the same way...legs up! ;) Fred, quit reading all those suggestive topic titles Doc's posts, he is a bad influence. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @MaskedMarvel, thanks for the Thermeez info.....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I don't get this. I have had my egg 3 or 4 months. I have done pizzas, and steaks and burgers at 550-650. And plenty of low and slow. My original egg gasket seems fine. I think joe@bge has a similar experience. Does anybody think it could be something else, like the top not aligned right?
    LBGE
  • I currently cook pizza at 650, legs down, stone flat on PS.  I just installed a new Nomex about a month ago after Rutland crumbled off after 6 mos. Based on some photos I have seen there appear to be two types of Nomex gaskets.  The one BGE is providing looks gray in color and someone mentioned it was like a felt/Nomex  composite.  I bought one that is white and does not have any adhesive.  I installed the Nomex with Permatex Copper and after a couple of pizza cooks it looks great.  You need to make sure the Nomex gasket does not hang inside the Egg when you install it. 

For those of you thinking of the Rutland gasket here is a few tips.  If you have a store in your area that sells wood stoves you can by the Rutland from them for about $17.  Don't use the cement that comes the Rutland but use Permatex Copper.  The Rutland is harder to install correctly because you have to be careful not to stretch it or mis-shape it as you install.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Cotronics does not recommend their self adhesive for the egg if you call them and talk to an engineer. They say to get their high heat glue and a non adhesive band. I have done 3 rutlands with permatex before and of them the large and medium bases cracked so they got replaced but the small I put the Rutland on with permatex only lasted about a year and a half before the permatex failed. I installed a nomex with 3m super 77 like 3 years ago on one of my larges and its still there. I would like to try the cotronics but it's expensive. The nomex is the best way to go in my opinion.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    3 months no pizzas 1 clean burn no more factory gasket. Went Rutland and will do it again even if it is an annual thing. They don't know if it is safe, they don't know if its harmful just a batch of CYA if you ask me by saying it shouldnt be near food. At one time cell phones gave you tumors, computers caused carpel tunnel, and everything is "known by the state of California" to cause cancer. So I say drink liquer smoke cigars and eat fatty meats. It's only a grapho glass gasket, the person I the lane texting while driving is probably more harmful.
  • Come on people, go commando!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Come on people, go commando!
    I like living on the edge Travis.  Those mystical little fibers from the Rutland and fumes from the Permatex keep me on my toes! :D  I swear some of these guys must get out of the shower to take a pee.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BOWHUNR said:
    Come on people, go commando!
    I like living on the edge Travis.  Those mystical little fibers from the Rutland and fumes from the Permatex keep me on my toes! :D  I swear some of these guys must get out of the shower to take a pee.

Mike
    I have a gasket and I don't bother leaving the shower....;)

• I have burned up many a gasket, rutland gaskets are ok except the glue stuff doesn't stick very well the nomex will burn, well it just kind of turns black and crinkles up the felt turns real black and flakes off and no gasket works fine except I always feel like I'm going to chip the lid everytime I close it.The answer to the gasket problem is use a felt gasket, their the cheapest and heres the secret, don't use such high temps when cooking pizzas use 450 0r 500  the crust will be just as good and crisp the only very small drawback is that it will take a little longer to cook but it is the difference between spending  $45.00 and 2 hrs of nasty scrapping and gluing per pizza or enjoy a little more adult beverage and conversation waitng for your pizza to get done.

FW

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I found a flat glass gasket with a tube if 1000 degree adhesive at menards for about $7. I decided to quite fighting the fight and replace the gasket about every two months. The heat won.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Mickey said:
    Another thought. Don't replace gasket. Works just fine without a gasket.
    This.  I burned up several and just did not replace the last one and have not missed it at all.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    lakewade said:

Mickey said:

Another thought. Don't replace gasket. Works just fine without a gasket.

This.  I burned up several and just did not replace the last one and have not missed it at all.  

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.