Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET 732 on the way!

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading reviews about Digital remote thermometers, and it seems that most people on here use this model of the Maverick. Tonight, I decided to go ahead and order from Amazon. However every time I pressed order now, it led me back to the ET 73 model that was $20 cheaper. After a few rounds of this, i was getting pretty frustrated, so I clicked on the chat button to see if I could get some help from an Amazon representative. It took a few minutes of explaining what was going on, but, like always with Amazon, I got good service in the end. Brand new Maverick ET 732 on the way , Two today overnight shipping for $29 total. Too good of a deal to pass up, so I jumped on it. Not only do I end up with the thermometer that I wanted, but I got it for over $30 cheaper than I found it anywhere else. Score! Thought I'd pass along, because everyone here seems to tout BGE's customer service, as they should. I've found their service to be impeccable. But, another company that always will take care of you is Amazon. Their CEO, Jeff Bezos, is top notch, and every problem I have had with them, down to dropping and breaking my Kindle has been taken care of with virtually no problem. Great company and great customer service. Anytime I can order something from Amazon, I do. Tonight is a very good representation of why.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Great deal, mine was <$50 delivered to the west coast, and I considered it to be a steal. 
    Take the time to read the directions and you will like it. 

Two things I noticed, make sure the probes are pushed into the transmitter far enough to make contact. if you use the timer function the display starts in the count down mode, after you set it, start, once the timer goes off, and the display reads 0:00, it looks like it is in the count up mode, which it is, until you enter a new count down time, then the mode changes.
    Good luck! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Well, my maverick showed up yesterday afternoon. I got set up and played with it a little last night. It's an awesome little device and everything works fine, except for the probes seem to be a little off. not much, just a little. For example when I was playing with the remote in my living room, the meat probe was reading 72° and the barbecue probe was reading 78°. That's not a lot but I thought this thermometer would be very accurate. I even tried putting the tips of both of them in boiling water. same thing. One read 5-6° higher than the other. I'm not sure if this is common, or if there's just a flaw in mine. Trying to decide what to do… would you send it back, contact Maverick, or just not worry about it?
    Athens, GA
  • Just bought it on Amazon myself, thanks for the tip... Quick question what is the 'hype' about the thermapen??? It so expensive at $90, but have found other 'instant' read thermometer out there, just curious what make is better and expensive :)
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • I know, it is expensive, but it will be the next on my list of accessories. It truly is INSTANT read, and every review I've seen states how accurate and wonderful it is. From what I've seen, every once in a while you can find a discount on the Thermapens for around $70. Next time I run across a price close to that I will probably pull the trigger and buy one. That being said, I can't wait to try out my new Maverick this weekend. I'm doing a 10 to 12 pound Boston Butt for family coming in town for the football game.
    Athens, GA
  • Just bought it on Amazon myself, thanks for the tip... Quick question what is the 'hype' about the thermapen??? It so expensive at $90, but have found other 'instant' read thermometer out there, just curious what make is better and expensive :)
    It works better, way way better.  It's a joy to behold and I use it to make sure my homemade blue ice is chilling my beer at less than 10 degrees.  Wife uses it to make sure her oil is over 350 to fry chicken and to make sure said fried chicken is truely done.  You can do just fine with a $15 Sunbeam if you pre-heat it by poking it through the daisy wheel to target temp then quickly poking it in the meat to see if it rises or falls.  If mine got run over by a bus tonight I'd order another tomorrow but that's just me.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • If you want to see the Thermapen in action, go to YouTube and search for Maverick PT 100 Vs. Thermapen. It's amazing how quick and accurate it is. That video alone, I think, has convinced me to buy one.
    Athens, GA
  • Ah bob, ya beat me to it. I was just pasti g your cook from
    Last night as a good example of how the Thermapen is such a great tool. It's fast, it's accurate, and it works. I wish I had bought one years ago instead of spending $20 here and there on garbage that didn't work.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143614/wino-caveman-tri-tip-with-fungus-pic-heavy#latest

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks, guess i will put it on my Christmas list, think I have spent as much on eggcessories as I did on the egg... But I love it!!! And surprisingly my wife does too...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • I wasn't a believer in Thermapen since it was expensive....I ended up purchasing one anyways! Thanks to everyone on this forum. Definitely worth the price.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'll pile on. Didn't think it would be worth it.
    Got it. Now both the wife and I use it in and out. You might not think there is much difference between 3 and 12, but it is especially when using on hot grill.
    It really has helped me id when the food is cooked to the correct temp.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Okay, now that I helped hijack my own post :) , back to the question at hand. Should I worry about a 5-6° difference in the meat probe and the BBQ probe at room temperature?
    Athens, GA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I wouldn't sweat it. 
    At least it's running high. Means you shouldn't overcook by accident.  
    If it's consistent, just keep that knowledge in mind when you cook. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    Mayberry - I wouldn't worry about the delta in the probe temps.  The Maverick isn't as accurate as the Thermapen, nor has it ever advertised itself to be.  

It's really for the longer cooks like pulled pork, chicken, etc. where a few degrees in temp isn't going to mean the difference between "medium" and "well done" 

What most folks do is use the Maverick as a "go by" to get a feel for where the temp is, then when it's getting close, keep a more diligent check on the temp w/ the Thermapen.  

I have an old Maverick ET73 & I usually set it up have the alarm go off at about 5 degrees less than my desired doneness.  That way, the beeper can remind me to go out & start getting serious about keeping an eye on the temps.  

BTW, because the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia is forcing us to pay taxes on internet purchases starting this Sat, I went ahead & pulled the trigger on a new Maverick ET-732 as well as a Thermapen.  Figured I'd better do it now, cuz after this week, I'll be paying the wonderful 9.75% sales tax!!

P.S.  What you might wanna do, if you're concerned, is to call up Maverick & ask them about the temp delta.  See if they are concerned about it - if they say it's normal, then there ya go.  If they say it isn't normal, and that something is defective, then you can return it.  FWIW, my initial guess would be a probe, rather than the unit itself.  Did you try switching out the probes (ie, 1 being 2, and 2 being 1)?  If probe 1 is reading high, and you switch it to sensor 2 and it still reads high, then it's the probe.  But if the OTHER probe now reads high, it's the unit.  

Anyway, let us know how it goes - best of luck!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • It's still way more accurate than your dome thermo. And the fact that it's on your grid instead of in the dome makes it even more valuable. Don't get too caught up in a few degrees when it comes to your cooking temps. I cook low and slow anywhere from 250-300 and don't even worry about it. Most of the time I don't use any thermo at all anymore. Internal temps are another story but don't worry about 6 (or 20-30) degrees egg temp. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    Mayberry said:
    Well, my maverick showed up yesterday afternoon. I got set up and played with it a little last night. It's an awesome little device and everything works fine, except for the probes seem to be a little off. not much, just a little. For example when I was playing with the remote in my living room, the meat probe was reading 72° and the barbecue probe was reading 78°. That's not a lot but I thought this thermometer would be very accurate. I even tried putting the tips of both of them in boiling water. same thing. One read 5-6° higher than the other. I'm not sure if this is common, or if there's just a flaw in mine. Trying to decide what to do… would you send it back, contact Maverick, or just not worry about it?
    My 732 is smack on, both probes read the same. I have verified from 63F thru 212F and they simply read the same, uncanny. Like HH said, reverse the probes and see if it is the probe or the unit, I too bet it is the probe. From the 212F boil test, you know which one is reading incorrectly. If it is the grill probe, not so bad as the grill will almost always be at >200F, up to the 572F limit (anything over 550F you are asking for trouble anyway) A 6 degree error at 400 is nothing, <1.5%, If it is the food probe, a 6 degree error at 135F, >4%, is more of a concern. You can always adjust for it, but with a new, just out of the box product, why should you?
    I'd call Maverick support and ask if there is something they can do for you as you have one probe that is reading way wrong. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    @Mayberry is it possible you meant 59.00 for the Et-732 instead ofm 29.00  Couldn't find one for that price  Or do you have a link to where you found it?
  • Mayberry said:
    I know, it is expensive, but it will be the next on my list of accessories. It truly is INSTANT read, and every review I've seen states how accurate and wonderful it is. From what I've seen, every once in a while you can find a discount on the Thermapens for around $70. Next time I run across a price close to that I will probably pull the trigger and buy one. That being said, I can't wait to try out my new Maverick this weekend. I'm doing a 10 to 12 pound Boston Butt for family coming in town for the football game.
    Check this discussion (warning) for those considering to buy an alternative claiming to be a Thermapen equivalent. I'm still trying to figure out how to chain my new Thermapen to the BGE pit. 
  • Mayberry said:
    I know, it is expensive, but it will be the next on my list of accessories. It truly is INSTANT read, and every review I've seen states how accurate and wonderful it is. From what I've seen, every once in a while you can find a discount on the Thermapens for around $70. Next time I run across a price close to that I will probably pull the trigger and buy one. That being said, I can't wait to try out my new Maverick this weekend. I'm doing a 10 to 12 pound Boston Butt for family coming in town for the football game.
    Check this discussion (warning) for those considering to buy an alternative claiming to be a Thermapen equivalent. I'm still trying to figure out how to chain my new Thermapen to the BGE pit. 
    There are some cheaper ones that guys are happy with on here. I think one of them is sold at Lowe's? I'm sure one of those guys will chime in. 

I believe you could find one but I spent $100 over a few years trying to find a cheaper alternative and all of them either sucked from the start or crapped out after a few months. I love mine and it was worth it to me. will never go back. We use it inside and out several times a week

• @A2Z. It wasn't listed for that price. But, the description for the ET73 said ET732. I inquired about it with Amazon chat Help, and they said sorry. I mentioned that I had tried to order from them for 45 minutes and kept being rerouted to order the $29 model, when I wanted the ET732 model. In that time, could have driven to the store. The guy offered me a $30 instant credit, making the price $29 instead of $59. Kind of sneaky, but it worked....and I really did try. To order it multiple times with no luck. See if it does the same for you. Amazon has great service. If they're wrong, they'll fix it for you.
    Athens, GA
  • Well,verdict is in and turns out I'm just an idiot. I played with it this morning for a while, and didn't touch either probe with my hands, so they weren't heated by body heat. It took 3-4 minutes, but sure enough, they came right together at 73 degrees. The error....me not realizing they are to "instant" probes. They just take a few minutes to adjust to each other. Still makes no sense to me how two pieces of metal lying on the same countertop can be two different temps.....but they do sinc up after a few minutes. I just need to keep that in mind in the future.
    Athens, GA
  • Well my dumb arse, went on last night and ordered it from Amazon, but then woke up this morning and realized that I bought the ET73 one and not the ET732, so I cancelled the first order and ordered the second one...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Tex, at least you don't live here. Not only is the sales tax over 9 percent, but the income tax is off the charts too. The high price of great weather.
    George