Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Before the Egg?

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    weber genesis (10 years old now) and still have it.  i actually prefer it for direct cooking over the egg
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    A Jenn-air gas grill and a walmart propane box smoker.  All jokes aside that cheapo propane smoker made some awful good babybacks, just a pain to keep adding water.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I have a Brinkman offset that has moved on down to the in-laws ranch. Still sees some action for smoking while the built in is for grilling

Some ABT's and turtle eggs

Had a gas grill that moved to my parents house. Gets used on holidays.

Greart for quick grilling in the summer while swimming in the pool, but the Egg by far blows away any grill I have ever owned or used.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I had a cheap charcoal grill from walmart and my old gasser.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

Hibachi - long gone

1st Weber Kettle - wore it out

2nd Weber kettle - wore it out

Weber Genesis - used it a lot, IMHO it went through too many burners and flavorizer bars - sold it

BBQ Galore 4 burner turbo - used lots of propane and too many hotspots, sold it

30 inch offset pit smoker from Jeff's Backyard (San Antonio), good smoker, too heavy to move to MN, sold it (quickly)

Weber Summit Silver - still have it, mostly used as a heat source for Griddle Q

3rd Weber Kettle - still have it, mainly it's "yard art"

Traeger Lil Tex - okay smoker, had problems with temp controller electronics, sold it when I got the BGE, imo it tended to dry food out on longer cooks.

Weber Q - used a lot when camping in TX, now mainly gets used in garage in bad weather, and when we go to "in-laws" for "BBQ's". I always end up at the grill and I refuse to use anything my in-laws have.

And of course large BGE, currently having a hard time not pulling the trigger on a second one, but being unemployed overrules that right now.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

I have two Webers (Gold, Smokey Joe), gas grill, Brinkmann Dual Zone charcoal grill (the one they made that was actually worth a crap) and of course my Egg.

I use them all but prefer the Egg overall. Had a birthday party Saturday and I needed all the grill square footage I could get. Had three grils going and everyone got fed. Use the gas for weekday stuff when I'm home.

All just depends on timing and what needs to be done.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • preneau
    preneau Posts: 7

Weber kettle... still have it

Ducane gasser ....

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Brinkman Gas Grill- just about burnt up
    Weber Kettle Grill- still in good shape
    Masterbilt Electric Smoker- works good but requires some attention while smoking !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Prior to the egg I had:
    1: a New Braunfels barrel type smoker/grill. Gave it away a month or two ago shortly after getting the egg.
    2: A 2009 model Weber Genesis S-330 propane grill. Still works great and gets used occasionally.
    3: Have a Little Chief electric smoker that has been in the family for at least 30 years. Doesn't get used much anymore.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Lot's of gassers over the years.   Older weber.

First dedicated smoker was a Brinkman ( I think) - that looked like R2D2.

Then went to a side firebox, vertical smoke chamber smoker - fought that thing for years.

Cooked quite a bit on my friends trailer based rig.

Will never want to be without an Egg for low and slow.

Cookin in Texas
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    I had a weber kettle, switched to a Ducane Gas Grill that I hated to my first LBGE and now a second LBGE.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I love my webers. Started with a kettle and that was it. Then bought a WSM, and I was hooked. Several kettles and performers later I got into eggs. Bought four, need to stop. Then came across a bubba keg grill, love that too. Now my brother and I picked up a ranch kettle. That thing is the bomb. They're all fun and cook great. Man I love charcoal cooking.
  • I had a Char-Grill side box smoker. It required CONSTANT tending and couldn't be left alone for more than about 1 hour. I also used a lot of "match light" and my food tasted like crap. I sold it for $50. I will never be without an EGG as long as I live.
    I also have the same smoker.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2022
    Vintage brown Weber kettle, rarely used by my parents. They were going to donate it to Goodwill until I found out. 

Weber kettle #2. Used it until BGE.

Ducane gasser. It lasted 14 years. I still have the removable cutting board. Loved it.

Jenn Air gasser with all the over-priced options. What a fine-looking piece of junk. Pitched it after about 3 years.

PGS gas grill. Still going strong after 16 years. I use it now and then for reverse sear.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I had a series of gas grills. Cheapo ones, up to Weber's. I still have a weber, but it is used pretty much for storing BGE parts and accessories.

I had, for a year or so, a weber kettle. It proved a lttle inconvenient and I was never happy with it.

Today, I've got a large and MM and will not be trading them for anything else.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    A few Weber gassers from top of the line to the Lowes specials. Upgrade to XL plus Blaze Pro 3 burner when we built outdoor living space. Also have a charcoal pit, hasn’t been used in 6+ years. Custom job from a local welding shop. Nothing fancy, but can cook a load of leg quarters like it ain’t nothing! 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I had a weber performer, a weber smokey mountain, and a 36" blackstone

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Some kind of vertical sheet metal smoker-maybe Brinkman, Lodge Sportsman which lasted for years, a bunch of whatever charcoal grill or smoker showed up at a foreclosed house and was brought to the island where I lived.
    Finally the egg came to the island and the Sportsman went to the mountains until the bottom finally gave out and it was replaced with a cheap sheet metal grill. Then came a Mini Max for the mountains. 
    Don't see any need to change anything now.

Cooking on the coast
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    Had a Napoleon prestige ng for 15 years before trying charcoal grilling. Bought a medium bge and loved it. My most recent purchase has been the primo oval xl. Now sadly my Napoleon is in storage. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Started with a smokey joe while I lived in Apts and rental houses.
    Had a few Gas Grills along the way
    Bought some low cost Side Smoker that got me into the idea
    Bought my neighbors LGBE
    Found a weber kettle I used for a bit- gave away
    Have a Portable Gas Weber I take camping but soon I will get a stand for it to put all my Egg accessories in and dump the tired Gas Grill I havent lit in 3 years.
    Likely buying my same neighbors XL as he's into his $$$$$ Traeger now.
    Talked to another neighbor this weekend about buying the LG off me.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    xfire_ATX said:
    Started with a smokey joe while I lived in Apts and rental houses.
    Had a few Gas Grills along the way
    Bought some low cost Side Smoker that got me into the idea
    Bought my neighbors LGBE
    Found a weber kettle I used for a bit- gave away
    Have a Portable Gas Weber I take camping but soon I will get a stand for it to put all my Egg accessories in and dump the tired Gas Grill I havent lit in 3 years.
    Likely buying my same neighbors XL as he's into his $$$$$ Traeger now.
    Talked to another neighbor this weekend about buying the LG off me.
    The lg egg and lg joes r too small. The xls r perfect
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Smokey Joe in the 80s.  Used it for 15 or so years. 

Crappy gasser in the early 90s

Hand me down weber 22 inch kettle mid 90s. 

Genesis silver B in 2001

Large bge in 2011 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • A chicken? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    edited January 2022
    Weber Genesis B gas grill (13 years), Weber 22" kettle (10 years) and Weber 14" Smokey Joe camp(4 years)  grill. Still have all of them, complement my LG BGE well. Had a Traeger, what a POS ... sold it after 6 months
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Started BBQing with Brinkmann water smoker mid 1980's.  Upgraded to Weber 18" Smoky Mt. and Weber gas grill.  Later graduated to offset smoker stick burner that was difficult to maintain in Wisconsin winters.  Eventually gave away my second Weber gas grill the offset smoker for 2 new Weber Kettle charcoal grills.  In 2004 sold my Smoky Mt. and got a large egg.  Currently have 4 eggs, 4 Weber kettles, a home made Ugly Drum Smoker, Ooni Pro Wood/charcoal pizza oven, Blackstone griddle and a fire pit.
  • Sold the eggs and kamado joes, as they are too high maintenance with the warranty issues.  Loving the Oklahoma Joe Bronco.  Burns lump & briquettes, wood chunks, and great flavor.  And it won’t crack!  No bands to keep adjusted either.  Makes great BBQ!
  • My wife and I were determined to combine our pizza oven and fireplace. We found only one other person, in Japan, who was successful in making this combination. We spent time researching and planning the logistics and it works perfectly! As an added bonus, how many scoops of coffee per cup we can use our pizza oven as a smoker as well when we’re running the fireplace. We successfully smoked our Thanksgiving turkey this year. We are thrilled with our accomplishment.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My wife and I were determined to combine our pizza oven and fireplace. We found only one other person, in Japan, who was successful in making this combination. We spent time researching and planning the logistics and it works perfectly! As an added bonus, how many scoops of coffee per cup we can use our pizza oven as a smoker as well when we’re running the fireplace. We successfully smoked our Thanksgiving turkey this year. We are thrilled with our accomplishment.
    Exciting.  Care to post a pic?

My wife and I were determined to combine our pizza oven and fireplace. We found only one other person, in Japan, who was successful in making this combination. We spent time researching and planning the logistics and it works perfectly! As an added bonus, how many scoops of coffee per cup we can use our pizza oven as a smoker as well when we’re running the fireplace. We successfully smoked our Thanksgiving turkey this year. We are thrilled with our accomplishment.
    I have been in the market for some new kanives, thanks for the link!  I don't drink coffee, but I learned a lot about the different heights of coffee cups!  
    Clinton, Iowa