Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping a 9.75 butt for a friends party tomorrow

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here is the overpriced butt I got today. image

I plan to cook this like all others I have done with a few possible changes depending on the general opinion here.

I have been reading that some people inject these, I never have, should I? If so with what? Isn't this juicy enough?

Fat cap up or down?

Mustard or no mustard?

I have hickory chunks, pecan chips, apple chips, and cherry chips. Combo? One or none?

I will be rubbing with a mixture of different rubs that I just concocted and it tastes pretty nice.

I will likely set the DIGIQ at 225 grid indirect and let her rip. I am thinking about 10pm? I want this thing to be ready to come off the grill around 2pm so I can FTC and head to the party that starts at 3. Dinner around 5-6ish. Cooking till 195 internal and then checking with probe/fork.

Any tips?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Ha def overpriced

I wish we could merge threads. I just started one about doing a Butt overnight as well

What I can contribute to you is fat cap down. And whether or not you use mustard does not matter. Has been proved not to impact so it is preference.

I did not inject. I wish I had brined but it will come out great still.
    Boom
  • michigan_jason
    I also am considering trimming this fat cap

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited July 2012
    i just did one two weeks ago injected with apple juice and cider vinegar coat with olive oil and yellow mustard and a exccesive amount of rub  :)>-  turned out great but the bark was a bit soft cause of the olive oil next time NO olive oil for me . was the tastiest one so far and way moist 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • michigan_jason
    i just did one two weeks ago injected with apple juice and cider vinegar coat with olive oil and yellow mustard and a exccesive amount of rub  :)>-  turned out great but the bark was a bit soft cause of the olive oil next time NO olive oil for me . was the tastiest one so far and way moist 
    Mustard will allow for good bark still yes?

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

It will

Mustard only used to help the rub stick, in theory. But yes can still get perfect bark with it. Or without.

Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mustard is a good rub glue, especially if you want to put on a thick rub (and I presume more sugar).  Oil works fine for thinner, more savory rubs.  The mustard doesn't seem to impart any mustard flavor, however.
    I have done my share of butts (insert joke here) Typically bone-in (2nd joke here) LOL

But I have never used mustard. I will try it this time I guess. I know it breaks down collagen in meats, and will help the rub stick, but I have never had a problem with that before.

• michigan_jason
    should i trip that fat?

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    less fat = more bark. That said I'm lazy and have never trimmed. (insert joke here) LOL
  • i just did one two weeks ago injected with apple juice and cider vinegar coat with olive oil and yellow mustard and a exccesive amount of rub  :)>-  turned out great but the bark was a bit soft cause of the olive oil next time NO olive oil for me . was the tastiest one so far and way moist 
    yes, just not unnecessary. If you use a binder, use mustard. Don't use olive oil or any oil based binders. they can keep the crust from forming. You'll get great bark with mustard.......or without

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    I have used this injection more than once. I got it from the BGE operating manual.

2 cups apple juice
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup corn syrup
    1 tbsp of your outside rub ground fine

Heat everything above on low until dissolved and mixed. refrigerate to cool, do not inject into the butt with hot liquid.
  • should i trip that fat?
    I don't but you certainly can. I get plenty of bark on the fat cap as well and mix it all in when I pull it. More fat = more flavor but there is plenty of intramuscular fat in a butt to provide flavor. Trim if you want, but no need too unless you just get mad at it and want to do it.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

@ Cen-Tex-your comment about fat reminded me of the following (not original) quote:

"know fat, know flavor, no fat no flavor!"  Enjoy that cocktail and the pool.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited July 2012
    I trim the fat off altogether so I have more bark surface area. I do not inject nor do I use mustard. I use a mixture of hickory and apple wood chunks. Folks have been pleased with my results. I feel like there is enough internal fat for moisture and they always seem moist enough with the blood and such to stick on the rub. I do use a vinegary nc style sauce after pulling to get some added flavor in the finished product. Plenty of good advice above too though. I think it is all just a matter of preference. I believe butts are so forgiving that they will come out good no matter what unless you majorly screw up somehow.
  • @ Cen-Tex-your comment about fat reminded me of the following (not original) quote:

"know fat, know flavor, no fat no flavor!"  Enjoy that cocktail and the pool.

A very wise man must have written that. True indeed
  • michigan_jason
    John, I didn't trim, after actually injecting with 75% apple juice and 25% apple cider vinegar and rubbing with mustard i noticed it was not as much fat as it looked like. I rubbed it like hell and it is in foil in the fridge now until about 11-12. That is not too long to leave it resting in the rub is it?

• Brownie
    My M-I-L heard I did a 10.5lb butt for my bosses party on the 4th and was a little sad she didn't get any. Needless to say I picked up an eight pound butt to take to her house tomorrow. But after woking in 97* heat for dinner and being tired from too much sun and pool today, I'm really thinking about Eggucated s Lazy Butt turbo cook he posted on the 4th.
  • michigan_jason
    My M-I-L heard I did a 10.5lb butt for my bosses party on the 4th and was a little sad she didn't get any. Needless to say I picked up an eight pound butt to take to her house tomorrow. But after woking in 97* heat for dinner and being tired from too much sun and pool today, I'm really thinking about Eggucated s Lazy Butt turbo cook he posted on the 4th.
    you have about 4 hours before you need to get it on the egg depending on when you are looking to pull it off, so i say get some drinks, and watch some tv, take a nap if need be then get up and do it!

• John, I didn't trim, after actually injecting with 75% apple juice and 25% apple cider vinegar and rubbing with mustard i noticed it was not as much fat as it looked like. I rubbed it like hell and it is in foil in the fridge now until about 11-12. That is not too long to leave it resting in the rub is it?

nah. All good. I don't inject either but very interested to see what you think of it.

• Brownie
    Too lazy, already made lunch and dinner on the egg today.....I'm going turbo in the morning. I'll do the same ingredients I used for wednesdays low n slow butt so I can give a reasonable comparison. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • michigan_jason
    @Brownie

sounds good, im interested in that.

• Too lazy, already made lunch and dinner on the egg today.....I'm going turbo in the morning. I'll do the same ingredients I used for wednesdays low n slow butt so I can give a reasonable comparison. I'll let you know how it goes.

never heard how your low and slow went. did you wait it out or push it through the stall?

• Brownie
    Had to push it. I chose not to foil in egg. FTC about 40 mins before I hit the road. Perfect timing as far as I was concerned. Everyone loved it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @ Brownie-thanks for taking on the project-I have read much about the "turbo butt" process and subsequent results-will be very interested in your take as I think you are coming at this from a neutral perspective.  BTW-I trust you Weds pork was a crowd pleaser!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I don't think that is too long to leave it with the rub. I have rubbed them the night before cooking them the next morning in the past.
  • Brownie
    lousubcap I was fortunate enough to get my hands on some free expert advice.
    :)>-
  • @ Brownie-thanks for taking on the project-I have read much about the "turbo butt" process and subsequent results-will be very interested in your take as I think you are coming at this from a neutral perspective.  BTW-I trust you Weds pork was a crowd pleaser!

very interested as well. have some knowledge of this but I'll hold my tongue until final results are released.

• michigan_jason
    butt will be resting until either 10 or 12pm. I want it to be ready to come off the grill as close to 3pm as possible. When should I throw it on?

• butt will be resting until either 10 or 12pm. I want it to be ready to come off the grill as close to 3pm as possible. When should I throw it on?

time to fly on your own grasshopper. You know the basics (and more). depends on temp, and many other things. Use the force, you got this.

• michigan_jason
    butt will be resting until either 10 or 12pm. I want it to be ready to come off the grill as close to 3pm as possible. When should I throw it on?

time to fly on your own grasshopper. You know the basics (and more). depends on temp, and many other things. Use the force, you got this.

yessir!