Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket. No turning back

Options
hopkinsusmc87
hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 250
edited July 2012 in Beef
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos. Put the brisket on this morning. Rubbed it down with onion powder and garlic pepper. The egg is at 250 and going strong. I'll let you know how it is in about 6 to 8 hours.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    You're off to a good start ... enjoy!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Looks like a flat-and I'm sure you have read plenty on here about briskets.  As with all  low&slows-patience is the watchword.  Enjoy as the journey is the best part.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks like a flat-and I'm sure you have read plenty on here about briskets.  As with all  low&slows-patience is the watchword.  Enjoy as the journey is the best part.
    I knew i needed to change my watchword. It is currently set at "bourbon". "Patience" is probably better.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Yep the stores here do not sell the the packer so a flat is all I got. It is a good cut. It's been on for 3 hours now and I have resisted the urge to open the egg. I'll be posting more pictures later.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I'm in the "flats only" part of country as well.  Just makes hitting the brisket home-run a bit more of a challenge.  If inclined make yourself a few notes of the cook for future reference.  While every hunk of beef behaves differently, there are some basics that universally apply to every adventure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    I take a ton of notes and pictures, alway taking notice to how the vents on the BGE are adjusted. I'm ok with flats because it's just three of us in the house and the packer would be big. But I'm excited and next week is a Boston Butt. Heck yea I love this grill.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Good thinking on your notes.  I use a copy of the form Meathead uses:  http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_log.html

You can print out the .pdf he has on that page.

I hope your brisket turns out great!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
  • BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    Options

I am attempting my first brisket today as well...Thanks for the tips on taking notes...I am a true rookie and notes of each cook will be invaluable...but as lousubcap says...it's all about the journey!

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Love me some brisket! Guess that I am lucky where Packer Cuts are plentiful. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Aberdeen SD is not Brisket country and your hard pressed to find any good BBQ. But I home brew as well and I learned from brewing beer you have to take notes. So taking pictures and keeping notes helps improve and make great BBQ. I've been smoking for well over 15+ years now and I've made some great BBQ and some a dog would not eat but like you said its the journey that makes it all worth while.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosOK five hours in and it's looking good. I'm in the stall right now but right on track.
  • BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    Options
    Lookin' good...
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Hi Hop looks great. What sizes is your egg and how big is the brisket? 
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    BigC you get any pix yet? Also are you cooking a packer or a flat? We can compair notes later.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Rich_ie, I have the LBGE and the flat was about 7 lbs. Sad to say but the wife bought the largest they had! SD is not a brisket state.
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    Hop I'm sure it will taste great! Please post some pixs and thoughts on the cook. I haven't done a brisket on the BGE but will very soon. 
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photosok everyone, the brisket came out real good. Not a single piece left. It was so good no sauce was needed. Very happy with it.
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    Very nice!! Congrats.  ^:)^
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Thanks and I tell you it did take a bit longer than I thought but low and slow it is.
  • Rich_ie
    Options
    You need to cook two next time. Brisket sammy is a very good thing the next day. 
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Yea had a ton of teenagers over and they scarfed it down. Two the next time? Hell yea!
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Very Nice, not ready for brisket but will be looking to see if Here in Indy they do the flat or packer, ha I have no idea what that means but I can ask the butcher! Never afraid to as a question. Also great idea on keeping notes with the excel file!
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Thanks Lizzie, you will be turning out good brisket before you know it. I'm new with the BGE and in a matter of weeks I've been turning out great food. Good luck.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Very Nice, not ready for brisket but will be looking to see if Here in Indy they do the flat or packer, ha I have no idea what that means but I can ask the butcher! Never afraid to as a question. Also great idea on keeping notes with the excel file!

Funny. Don't assume your butcher knows what a packer brisket is in flat land. Here in Wisconsin, I asked for a packer brisket, and they thought I meant some fancy cut for the Green Bay Packers... Then I corrected them, and said full brisket with the point, and they said yes. They went to the back and brought out a flat... This was a butcher that was also a kill shop. I ended up just googling for Briskets in Madison WI, and I eventually happened upon a source. Took a bit though (and I'm happy with the source).
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    It's funny how different parts of the country just don't know. I've gone in and asked a butcher for Tri Tip and they look at me like I have antlers growing out of my head. Boy when I was running a wind turbine site in Texas I had all the brisket a man/woman could want. Boy I miss them prime cuts.