Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Style Ribs - A crash course?

eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so this is somewhat impulsive...but I'm home from work and have Swift Premium St. Louis Style Spare ribs from Costco....been in the fridge for 3 days...so want to capitalize on having time this afternoon....although the time is dwindling. I bought these thinking they were baby back ribs...and that I could just use methods for that type of cut. So here's what I have...my egg, Bad Byrons Butt Rub, some Blues Hogg BBQ sauce...and some The Slabs Kyle Style BBQ Sauce. I'm thinking of using Bad Byrons and then basting with sauce towards the end of the cook. Can someone give me a crash course on a good way...hopefully not too complicated... on how to do this cook?

The particulars: I have over 8 lbs of ribs...configured as three racks but I will cut in half to make six. OH...and I forgot....I also have Cimmaron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub! So I could use that or the Bad Byron's Butt Rub....then sauce with either of my sauces...or not.

Depending on what people say...I may be running to the store for apple juice and more foil etc. I will be putting lump in my grill hoping for a reply....TIA!

'

Comments

• Should be OK with what you have. Do you want to do them fast or low and slow? You can low and slow them in 5-6 hours or @mickey can throw his turbo advice in..should be along shortly

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Well...if I get them started by 2 or 3 I should be able to eat tonight....even on a slow cook. Also...need a few particulars with any method...direct...indirect etc. I have stock components...a plate setter...and also have a v rack for the ribs.

Lump is loaded....I pretty much believe I need apple juice...and will
    pick up some foil for good measure. 

PS. This is my first low and slow...and
    first rib cook on the egg. :D
  • OK- I do them low and slow. Set the v_Rack on inverted platesetter and cook them at 250 for 4-5 ours until they start to pull away from the bone. 

Give them a good rub (mustard is good on ribs as a binder to keep the rub on while standing in the V-Rack. If you have more then 3-4 racks, you might have to do some adjusting to get them to all fit without touching (no smoke or bark on areas that touch).

You can look up the 3-2-1 method as well. I've never tried it but it looks good. I literally just smoke them until done then raise the heat and baste until the sauce caramelizes at the end. I take them out of the v-rack and lay flat to baste. ris are easy and should be awesome no matter how you decide.

make sure to remove the membrane on the back of the ribs before cooking. Google that and find a video. it's easy but takes a little getting used to.

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    We use 3-2-1 for our comp ribs. Egg at 225 always bone side down, for three hours, foil with your favorite liquid (Gentalman Jack works), 1 hour unwrapped. We've done well with our rub. Equal amounts of Kosher salt, black pepper, and Cayenne pepper. No sauce. make sure you pull the silver skin off te back before the rub goes on.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Sorry try this again. bone side down for 3 hours, foil for 2 hours, and uncovered for the last hour.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    They are really good just with a rub and slow heat with some smoking wood. Platesetter legs up, spacers, drip pan (dry or with liquid) grid on top of platesetter legs. I would go at 275* for 5 to 51/2 hours given the short time available. They are ready to go when they bend easily when picked up with tongs or a toothpick in the meat meets no resistance

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggnited
    Not sure if I have to work tomorrow yet...I'm on call...bu I'm t thinking of putting this off.  I feel rushed.  If I have to put them in the freezer for another time I will. I appreciate the replies. I'm confused on what to do...but I can always experiment down the road. I would try the 321 method but I'm not even sure what is meant by "foil"? Do I just wrap in foil....or put in foil pan with liquid? Then there's the whole decision of what liquid....to many choices! LOL Then...after I use my rub....do I bother basting with sauce" As for wood chips....I will probably use apple or cherry.
  • eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Okay...it's official...I'm going to put my rub on today and let sit in fridge overnight. This will give time for more clarification....since my BBQ IQ is pretty low.

I'm leaning hard towards just cooking them .slow and low for 4 to 5 hours or more. I assume I can remove them at the 4 or 5 hour mark and baste them with sauce...and then return them to cook...perhaps even laying flat on the grid for the last hour. I think I read somewhere to baste every 15 minutes? With the legs up I can put a drip pan below (gonna buy a bigger one tonight) probably put apple sauce....and use apple or cherry chips for smoke. Does this sound about right?
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    For a variation - I like them sometimes with no rub - just black pepper with a little salt. Nothin but meat and smoky flavor.
    Cookin in Texas
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Try not to over think low n slow, ya jus got to let the egg do it's magic! Pull the membrane if it needs, throw on as much butt rub as to your taste, slather in mustard, set egg up to 250 dome with whatever smoke you got, give it time to stabilise, put the spares on and give em about 4 to 5 hours depending on how much bite you like from ribs and when they bend back (you can feel when they're ready) give em some blues and in about 15 enjoy! IMHO no need to foil or anything, but cook till tender to your preference. Good luck and remember, the best recipes sometimes come from doing it all wrong.
  • jay75
    Forgot to say platesetter legs up and definitely use drip pan with hot water, enough throughout the cook! That way no bad smoke from burning drippings, pics and follow up please.
  • Little Steven

You don't have to remove to sauce

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Sounds good... think this is pretty much my plan at this point. Btw...I have a Maveric....could go for a specific grid temp too if recommended.

My plan, as of this moment, is to cut the racks in half to make 6 short ones. I will rub them with the Cimmaron Doc's but not sure if I want to use mustard yet. I will then place them in the V Rack on top of my regular grid...which will sit on top of my inverted plate setter. I will use a pan with apple juice below...sitting on the BGE ceramic legs. I am also considering spritzing with apple juices....or I could just leave well enough alone....and leave until about 5 hours total. At the 5 hour mark I can try the bend test...although I don't really know what that is yet! LOL  See the pattern here...I'm pretty much flying in the dark. Okay...and finally...if the bones show about 1/2 inches...put on some Blues Hogg...let cook for about 20 minutes more....might even raise the heat at this point....and maybe a second baste for another 15 to get a caramelized texture.

That sums up what I have gathered so far...and what my tentative plans are at this point. As with all of my first cooks....I'm a bit nervous. I do appreciate all the advice and moral support I've received here....thank you!
  • Little Steven
    Best thing is not to overthink. You will get a great rack of ribs with just the rub, smoke and low heat. I would take out all the variables. You will be cooking ribs for a long time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• +1 little Steve. Grip it and rip it. They will be great. Smoke, time, temp. Everything else is personal preference and you won't know that till you mess a few up.
  • eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Glad you guys have given me permission to fail! LOL Hopefully it will go well. I think all the advice here is great...but simple is probably the best for me. I'm going to give it go tomorrow. My last cook..(photos to be added to another thread I started previously)....was pizza. My second attempt at pizza went really well! So...hoping these ribs go well out of the gate... first time around...but at the very least I will learn something In fact, I already have!  Thanks!!!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    One thing you might want to do is soak them if they're packed with a salt solution. It will say so on the package. They can taste a bit salty if you add a rub on top of it without soaking. Other than that, let 'er rip and enjoy!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    One more thought...I cooked some Spares (St. Louis style) a little while back and pulled them at the 6 hour mark.  They weren't done yet and I was cooking them at 250 grid level.  My point is, don't be afraid to leave them on "longer than recommmended" if they don't seem done.  Google "how to tell when ribs are done" and get a few ideas to try when you think they are suppose to be done.
    Good luck!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven

COS,

Trued dat. I've gone 7 1/2 hours on full spares.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This was BB's.
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min. 
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven

Mickey,

Anybody can hit a 3 wood...it's like...cheating

:))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggnited
    Quick update. Got up this morning...trimmed the ribs and applied the rub. Then...got called in to work overtime. Good...helps me pay for the ribs! So I will be cooking the ribs on Monday. For my first try I will take the slow route. I want to do this for the experience. It's my first low and slow. I will be sure to post pics and update as it happens. Btw...I used almost the whole container of Cimarron Doc's on the three racks. The smell is good already. I now have 6 half racks...thinking of saucing half of them with Blues Hogg...and leaving the other half just rub. Ribs, corn on the cob, potato salad, green salad... coma... can't wait!
    :@)
  • jay75
    Go for it! Just a little thought about sauce before the cook, if it contains any form of sugar it will most probably burn over the length of time a low n slow will require, however I still stand by my original statement, sometimes the best recipes are discovered by accident!... No pics. Didn't happen.
  • like jay said, most sauce will scorch over a low and slow. Baste them toward the end of the cook (maybe an hour left to go). I actually take them off when done, baste and go direct until the sauce caramelizes (5- min or so). 

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Best thing is not to overthink. You will get a great rack of ribs with just the rub, smoke and low heat. I would take out all the variables. You will be cooking ribs for a long time.
    I agree....keep it simple.   I put my plate setter in legs up ( I toss a drip pan on the plate setter to catch the grease and then I put my grate on the top of the legs)...heat at 250...rubbed rubs on the v-rack (I prefer Byron's butt rub for ribs or Lotta Bull)....cook 4 hrs....sauce...cook for 1 more hour and then enjoy the great ribs you just made.   I don't mess with foiling, water pans, or flipping ribs....I have but now I do it the easy way and haven't noticed any difference in the end product.
  • Little Steven

S'truth. Bad Byrons is an amazing rib rub

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    http://www.amazingribs.com

I actually read this whole website before my first rib cook. Very informative. Been cooking ribs for a year now and they keep on getting better.
  • eggnited
    I have Bad Byron's....but have yet to use it. Same with the Cimarron Doc's. Turns out the ribs are sitting for about 50 hours in my fridge from the time I rubbed them this morning until actual cook. I assume the extra time sitting in cling wrap with rub won't hurt them. I will try Bad Byron's next time...but can say that just the smell of the Doc's rub already has me thinking the result will be great. This time I will sauce with the Blues Hogg...next time with The Slabs Kyle Style. Experimentation!  :D

I will indeed only sauce at the end...probably raise the heat up from about 250 to 300+ after saucing....go direct...whatever feels right at the time.  As I said previously...I think I will leave a few un-sauced to try with just the rub...unless someone says otherwise. Sometimes I like sauce...most of the time I like bbq without. I'm not a fan of many of the sauces I find...especially ones heavy in vinegar. I trust the Blues Hogg will not be one of them and comes highly recommended.  One thing is for sure....there are a lot of ideas on the subject! LOL
  • eggnited
    Okay....so the ribs are on as of 13:30 CST. After I started to put the ribs into my rack I found that I had pulled a stupid move by cutting them in half. I could have just made them u shaped and fed them back and forth....or left them alone so that the ribs would actually rest on the rack. The ribs are actually supported underneath by my regular grid. Another thing I did which I think probably isn't serious....is that I put my drip pan directly on the plate setter. I meant to use the bge feet  to provide an insulating layer between the drip pan and plate setter but forgot. I put apple juice in the pan .but not sure how much good that will do....or how long before it evaporates. My temp has been somewhat stable...slowly rising or dropping from around 250 grid....right now at 243 grid but has been as high as 265 before adjustment. Dome temp is just over 300 when the maveric grid temp is at 250. I calibrated my dome thermometer this past weekend and found it about 25 degrees too low. Thanks again for all the help. Should be pulling them off tonight at about  19:30 or so. Here's a first pic....
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Just don't let the pan go dry ... use water .... it's cheaper!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.