Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to place the pit probe?

Options
Smokin' Stogies
Smokin' Stogies Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, simple question. About to do a Lo/Slo brisket and was wondering where to put the BBQ Guru probe. A number of folks have said to clip it to the BGE thermometer and a few others have stated to put it close to the food, clipping it to the grill. I am assuming that most of the recipes here are going by the BGE Thermometer reading and I know the grill is at a different temp than the dome.

I have done Pork Butts a few times at 230 on the BGE thermo that were perfect and just got the BBQ Guru.

Have only had the BGE XL for 2 months and fell in love with it so much (and the wife too!) that I gave my Weber propane to my son and am picking up a BGE Medium at the Woodburners Pa Eggfest on 9/11.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated, the brisket goes on at 2 am.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Smokin' Stogies:

I normally clip the pit probe to the grate near the meat since what I want to know is the temp at the grate level...but to each there own...both places work just fine.

PS...Nice to hear you fell in love with your wife too :laugh: (just depends on how you read that section)

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Fell in love with her 30 years ago. I think she fell in love with me last week when I made her Turkey burgers with goat cheese warpped in pruscuitto. Until then, the jury was out. I think she really loves the fact that I do the cooking, mainly because I like to eat. Humpty makes it all the easier.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    On my stoker I attach the pit probe to the temp gauge on the egg. My probe has a little clip on it and it attaches perfectly tp the temp gauge.. This way you measure the temp on the same way you would on a normal set up without a controller. Generally I always plan cooks at dome temp so its perfect for me.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will go with clipping it to the Dome Thermo clip. Probably best to stay consistent as I only plan on using the DigiQ on overnighters.

Eggers Prayer-

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I only use the dome thermo as a rough estimate. I believe all temps should be measured at grid level where your food is. Temps vary too greatly at the dome. Totally unreliable in my opinion.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Low/slow may make a difference. And, does 10-30 degree difference make a real difference in low/slow. I'm a rookie here, but in my limited experience...I've use the Guru on both the grate and Egg thermometer. I think the recipe reference is what's important. On the Egg, longer low/slow cooks, the temps seem to smooth out, there is a difference, but less over the longer time. Open the Egg, do things, that will make a difference. If temp setting is a key to the recipe, you need to determine, is the recipe an Egg specific recipe. I think most of the Egg recipes are dome temp. If it's an oven or general bbq recipe site, I think the grate temp is the reference. In the end, a low/slow is done, when it's done. I've tended to accept a 1.5 hr/lb as a guide for 225 to 275 recipes.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Not sure what other have said, but I clip mine to the dome probe. It's up and out of the way
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have clipped the probe to the dome probe and have had great results.

I have also clipped it to the probe tree you can purchase from the Guru folks and have you probe at grid level. That works great as well.

I have also clipped the pit probe to the elbow of the meat probe and had great results.

Your choice for your case. Tim ;)