Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Pan?

Options
Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I'm looking over all the different ideas for meatloaf and I come across pictures of different kinds of pans to use. Does everyone use a pan or can you just put it right on the grill?

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I've done both ways...But, I now do "fatties" on the grid and I like doing a genuine meatloaf in a pan!
    I say "genuine" because I do all sort of additions / variations (wild rice, potatoes, mushrooms, grains, bread crumbs, cheese, veggies and so on) to my meatloaf these days. BTW, these variations are in addition to my standard of onion and garlic.
    With SO MUCH "stuff" in the loaf, I have found it just holds together better in a pan!
    I use a regular / normal metal "loaf" pan in the Egg and I have a favorite, deep, glass loaf pan that I use in the oven. I'm sure that it too, would hold up just fine in the Egg...But Mrs. Potatohead gives me "that look" every time I put glass in the Egg, so I bought deep metal pans for my meatloaf on the Egg! This way neither of us have to see, or use our angry eyes ;) !
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    here is one that I found a few years back, just needs a drip pan underneath.

MEATLOAFROASTER.jpg

This round one is also fun to use. I have found the non-procelain in garage sales. they allow me to make a round loaf and the grease runs into the donut shaped trough.

100_1936.jpg

http://www.joycook.com/outdoor/stove_top_grill_g101_joycook.html
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We have the standard metal and glass pans but wanted something different. So we purchased one of the double-pans and like it. Keeps the liquid away. I don't like wet meatloaf.

DoubleMeatloafPan.jpg

We also use a stoneware pan from time to time. It makes good bread too.

StoneBakingDish.jpg

One day we ran across these individual serving cast iron pans on sale and bought some. There were 4 in the box. They did well.

Mini-Meatloaf1-9-09-1.jpg

We also cooked a meatloaf in a regular pan and then transferred it to the grill until done. I kinda liked that. Did one in a skillet too but it flattened out too much.

There's a wire pan I've seen but haven't used one yet. Maybe one of these days.

Spring "Wet Meatloaf Don't Fly" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Morning Leroy! Are you feeling better or just can't sleep??
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Feeling better and can't sleep too. But when I lie down my head fills up with a generous amount of krap and I eventually have to get up. The timing is good though because I also check the plumbing.

Why are you up? Seems to me you are one of those heavy sleeper types.

Spring "Heavy On The Light" Chicken
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    depends on your style of meatloaf, my moms mush loaf was almost soupy and would need a pan. most of mine are cooked raised grid direct and sometimes placed into the pan halfway because i sometimes like to ad stewed tomatoes and finish it that way. heres a couple just cooked on the grid direct
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=712411

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/192205.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Pyrex works for me. I found this great old loaf pan at a church thrift store for $3. As I carried it up to the counter to pay for it the little old lady working there said "I bet your making a meat loaf!" :lol:

MeatLoaf_640_001.jpg
    MeatLoaf_640_002.jpg

I think the only reason I use a pan is because that is the way my mother made her meat loaf. I alway cook mine indirect to catch all the drippings and help control flare ups.

Gator

{Posted to the wrong location. :blush: }

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gator in the top pic the glass is like new, but the bottom pic the glass looks like all my glass. How do you get it so clean?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    personally I like this wire basket loaf pan as it allows you to smoke the loaf and creates a thin bark totally around it.
    IMG_0770.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

LOL, to tell the truth that was the first time I had used that pan. To get it back to that clean I soaked it in a sink full of hot water and Dawn detergent as it cuts grease like nothing else and later used a Scotch-Brite Delicate Duty scrub sponge. The Delicate Duty sponges are pink with a white scrub pad on one side and will not scratch most surfaces, they let you use a little elbow grease if needed with out doing any harm.
    In 1998 Corning sold the rights to Pyrex cookware in this country. The new company since then has made it out of a tempered soda lime glass that may or may not be as heat tolerant as the original borosilicate glass (just means that it has boron added to the formula). The original Pyrex is now considered "vintage" and is starting to be collected. This does not mean that it is getting rare or expensive, just that it is still appreciated. I have several thrift stores with in a few miles of home and check them every couple months or so and find some great deals. This loaf pan is a perfect example at $3.

Gator

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I have never used a pan to cook one but have put wax paper in a pan, made the loaf,put it in the pan then into the fridge for a couple of hours or more so it will set up.

The wax paper makes it easier to get it out, then I place it directly on the grid, indirect (plate setter) with drip pan.

Good Luck,
    Bordello