Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt -- where does thermometer go??

soonerfunk
soonerfunk Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I'm good on what to do. My only question is where/how do I put the thermometer in to get the most accurate reading?? Thanks!

Comments

• With a meat thermometer or Thermapen I usually check it in a few places to make sure.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Under his tongue,hahahaha.The probe shoul be put in the thickest part of the meat and check with the instant probe to verify.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Try and insert in the thickest portion of butt. If you are cooking multiple butts and using a Digiq or Maverick style thermometer insert in smallest but as theoretically this butt should finish first. Also note, if you are cooking multiple butts and using an extended grate pls remember upper deck portions will cook at a higher temp than grid level.

Wayne
  • soonerfunk
    soonerfunk Posts: 22
    Do you stick it like halfway into the thickest part or what? I'm using one of those thermometers that you leave in while you cook and the digital display sits outside the BGE. Not sure what they're called and I've never used on before. Obviously. But any suggestion on how far in you stick the probe would be great! Thanks.
  • What kind of thermometer is it? make/model
  • One key element to checking temp is to not allow the thermometer to touch any bone inside of the meat. You really want to test the meat only in a thicker portion of the butt. Good Luck!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    deepest part, avoiding the bone.

i don't bother putting it in until the morning
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    There are several muscles in a butt, you want the probe to be in meat, not in between muscles. If the probe is in a fat zone the reading can be off. Here is a cross section of a butt, and it shows the relationship of the bone, the fat cap and the muscles. Ideally, a good spot for the probe is the big egg shaped muscle.

PorkBone.jpg

It's good to monitor the first few butts you cook, just to set your mind at ease on the progress of an average cook. After you get some pit time under your belt, you won't even check the internal temp for 6 or 8 hours.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you want it in the middle. as far away from the outside of the meat... if you pushed it in to the thickest part and it started to come out the other side, you'd have gone too far, right? you want it as deep as it will go, so if it starts heading out again after you passed the middle, you went too far. just don't let it touch bone
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante