Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY BGE Carts

Nils
Nils Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those looking to build your own - its not that difficult. Take as long/short as you want. Some of these ideas took people a few months with a few minutes/hours here/there - others were done in 2-3 hours.

Did several hours of accumulated hours "lurking" the BGE forums for thoughts and ideas on building my own cart for a BGE. To search for older posts, search on "DIY Cart", "whiz cart" or just "cart" should catch 80-90% of the posts.

Many ideas out there, my assessment is there's not a lot to do wrong! ;) Many many good ideas, so just pick one and run with it is my suggestion.

I bought my large egg two weeks ago, and built my cart the day prior.

Cart is "temporary" since I am designing and building a BBQ island for long term use and enjoyment. I just wanted a cart for the next 2-4 months, but it needed to be sturdy enough to be moved a lot while my BBQ island is "under construction".

Lumber was taken from a redwood fish tank stand I had built 6 years ago, and decommissioned earlier this year. 240 gallon fish tank stand provided plenty of lumber, and I re-used the wood screws.

Design is basically from the BGE web site, with the four main vertical supports I converted into 4x4's (two 2"x4" screwed together) for added support. Wheel design I borrowed from Whiz' site. Took me 6 hours to take the old stand apart (I forgot I used the whole box of deck screws!) and cut and assemble the new egg cart, including two one-hour breaks for the rechargable drill/saw batteries to recharge.

She may not be purty, but she's as solid as a brick sh*t-house! Its sturdy enough to get up and dance on.

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I like yours better than wiz's. Your tires hold air, his don't. lol Sorry whiz I had too. However, my dear Nils, you have made a grave error. Ya don't have a Coke bottle opener on the front. That is a must have, a traditition mind you, a right of passage. Your table is incomplete until you get one. Sooooo? :angry::angry:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    rofl,

"real men" don't use openers, we knock the top of the bottle off against the edge of the concrete paver, or simply bite the top off the bottle! :laugh:

okay - to get the official seal of approval, I'll add a bottle opener this weekend. Just seemed a bit superfluous, neither my keg of Guinness, nor in a pinch, the Guinness Pub Draft, requires the use of a bottle opener! :whistle:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    This is true. But when you become proficient with your BGE, you will be having lots of guests over and someone will need one. Besides, it is an Egghead thang! :silly: :silly: :silly:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP