Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone catered before??

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to know if anyone has catered before with eggs?

1. How many eggs did u use
2. what did u cook?
3. how many people?
4. was it stressfull?
5. would u do it again?
6. did u enjoy it?
7. Has anyone thought about getting a peddlers liscence and maybe cooking at a soccer game,or a park,or somewhere you can cook and sell your food?

Has anyone thought about opening a bbq.place and cooking on several eggs? I bet that would be a huge success...Just my thoughts and questions....Pict. would be nice if you have any. Thanks for responding ;):)

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    the one thing that you really need to think about when you think of those 7 questions is:::::: insurance

it cost alot to make sure someone does not get sick and decide they like your house alot more than they like their house.......

;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    1. How many eggs did u use 4
    2. what did u cook? Whatever my clients want
    3. how many people? We counting the 2000 Marines
    4. was it stressfull? Yes
    5. would u do it again? See Ans: 4
    6. did u enjoy it? See ans 4
    7. Has anyone thought about getting a peddlers liscence and maybe cooking at a soccer game,or a park,or somewhere you can cook and sell your food?
    Heath Dept. might have an issue with ya!!

Wish I saved my answer about catering..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    OK I don't want to discourage you but I will.

Let's start with the Health Department Regulation. Most if not all state, county and city HD's have requirements that must be meet. Cool thing is you take the toughest of those and meet those. The rest fall in line. However, they cover food safety, food prep, storage, sanitation and disposal.

Then there is insurance. Catering insurance is NOT your standard liability insurance and it is NOT covered by your homeowners policy. The cost for this can range up to $2,000 per year. On top of that you will need liability insurance and insurance on your equipment.

Now you will also need a business license. You can do this buy incorporating or with a DBA (Doing business as).

You need to have ample supplies of serving utensils, dishes, glasses, silverware, pots and pans.

Bottom line: I have invested $15,000-$20,000 dollars to setup a part-time catering business. Annually it cost me about $5,000 to just to maintain it's existence. We won't go into the cost of maintaining the commercial kitchen or the cost of advertising your product.

For me to cater a single day event it takes days of preparation and planning. It is tiring work with very demanding clients. They expect perfection and frankly they should get it.

With three or four cooks under your belt I think you need to wait a awhile.. Make sure cooking for the masses is really what you want to do. Make sure that you can produce a product your clients will brag about. Cook for your friends and family for a while. You have time to decide if you really want to spend a lot of money and time on Catering.

If you have any specific questions contact me off the forum.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    3 eggs
    ribs/pulled pork/ pit beef at different times
    300 by myself cooking
    Yep
    Yep
    Yep
    Maybe u should start at city fairs/celebrations and FOLLOW THE HEALTH REGULATIONS THEY GIVE YOU.
    Restaurant, your going to have problems catering what trouble to?

Mike
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Real good point.thanks
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Wow!!, uneggabelievable that"s alot of marines. I couldn"t even amagine, (yousa bad boy man)..
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Your ans. was great, really gives me something to think about. Not that i"m ready to do that or anything i still need to find out what i"m doing with the egg,for sure. I"t was something that just ran across my mind while i was driving my big truck today."Alot of time to think". But your ans. put the brakes on my mind real quick,not that i"m discouraged but thats alright. I"ll just stick to family and friends. What do you say about cooking at church? Same guide lines as you stated?
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Man, you guy"s are good, hats off to you....
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Your best friend when catering is an aluminum pan and apple juice with the meat and covered when reheating.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Yes!! Health Dept and Lawyers go to church too..
  • sirlancealot
    Options
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    thanks celtic..It"ll be me and my family and close friends...
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    This same question was asked 2 weeks ago and responded to ver batim with the same responses. everyone wants to be the coolest kid on the block but it ain't that easy. cook for the family and friends and enjoy. leave the rest to the food channel......
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    A good way to find out about catering is to work for another caterer. Even as a server. You will see and learn alot.
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    I have to respectfully disagree with you, Slotmercenary. Not on your point that catering is hard work, because I can certainly believe that, but I really think I've found a hidden passion since I've purchased my large egg earlier this summer. I'd love to end up catering down the road, but I do agree with most of the posts that suggest cooking for small groups for a while. I realize I have much to learn, but to quote Paul Kirk, "The more man learns about barbecue, the more he craves it!"

I guess I just found your post to be a bit dismissive, thats all. If the passion is there, I say why not go for it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Very good points made here, but no one really answered your 7th question.

Look up Fred's Franks or I'm sure some of the Boston boys will chime in to correct me here if I'm wrong. He cooks and sells a variety of sausages that he prepares on a XLBGE in the Boston area - much like a peddler's cart as you mentioned.

SO yes, it can be done, but only with following the rest of the advice and information you have already encountered here, and probably more.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I agree. I have gotten a job at a catering company just to see how things are done. I believe I have years of practicing on friends and family before I will try to start a catering company. I also hope to have a career for some time and then maybe start a catering gig. It is hard work from what I have seen, but it is also very rewarding to see all the people having a great time at a wedding or whatever event you are preparing the food for, as they are usually raving about the food as well. I could only imagine how much crap you have to go through with the government to be operating legally in all aspects.
  • NJ-GrEGG
    Options
    Celtic Wolf....

In my town there are two places where people set up roadside BBQ stands. They put up a canopy and sell ribs and chicken from their smokers. When they sell out they go home. (A third stand went up recently but I have not tried them yet.)

Of the two only one has running hot water from something that plugs into his truck cigarette lighter. He also has a portable 2 compartment sink setup. They charge $21 for a full rack of BB ribs, $13 for half rack. Chicken quarters go for about $6.

I don't know how they get away with it! Our town is pretty strick and they are out in the open. I don't see any license posted or inspection certificate.

We have tried their food and my wife and others say that my ribs are much better.

My father-in-law owns a barber shop. Connected to his shop is a house that he does not live in. The whole property is zoned commercial. We often think about taking a food handling course, converting his kitchen to commercial standards, and do all the receiving, storing and prepping there. On the outside we would do all the smoking and selling to the public. The idea is to catch the attention of the barbershop clientele.

I would value anything you have to say about setting up and maintaining a commerical kitchen!!

I often enjoy reading your postings CW...but at this point you should be charging a consulting fee! :-)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Check your mail!!