Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGG + SOY = TASTY!

Options
Pig Picker
Pig Picker Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's a little foray I had with tofu and the EGG last weekend.[p]To Start:
1 - 3 blocks of extra firm tofu (Depending on how many racks you can get into your EGG)
6 cups of chicken stock
1 tsp of Garlic[p]Take each block of tofu and cut into 4 1/3 inch pieces, like you are cutting the block to make sandwiches out the tofu. Use paper towels to gently squeeze out some water from each slice. In a large bowl, combine the garlic and stock. Place the tofu slices in the stock bowl to "brine." Let the tofu soak overnight.[p]I have a 3 level rack I set up in the EGG with firebricks (indirect) in a configuration like I was going to make jerky.[p]Line your rack(s) with the tofu slices and sprinkle each side with red curry powder or any Indian style spice you like. Use whatever wood you like to smoke with, I like Hickory, and smoke the tofu slices at 180* for 2 hours. Then crank up the heat to 250* - 300* for the next hour. By this time the tofu should be well smoked and have a firmer texture.[p]Next transfer the slices to a plate and take your indirect setup out of the EGG. On the grill surface, grill the slices at less than 400* for about 5 minutes a side. Just long enough to get a slightly crispy outside. These are good as sandwiches, sliced into salads or as fajita stuffers. You can also use my breading below create a tofu cutlet.[p]Breading (enuff for 4 slices)
1/3 cup of Oat Bran
1/4 cup of Soy Nuts
1 Egg white
Salt and Pepper to taste + any other seasonings you like[p]Grind the Oat Bran and Soy Nuts finely (I use a coffee grinder) into a flour like powder transfer to a plate. Season this mixture with salt and pepper and any spices. Beat and season the egg white. Dip each slice into the egg and then into the Oat/Soy flour. Let the pieces sit for 10 - 15 minutes so the coating sets. Heat up a non-stick pan while the coating rests. When you're ready to fry them spray each coated tofu slice with a light layer of olive oil or non-fat spray. Cook each piece until the coating is crispy.[p]I topped each cutlet with some carmelized onions. The smokey flavor and the crunchy coating make for an awesome entree.[p]PP

Comments