Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Duck

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first duck on the BGE tonight and it was great. I cooked it indirect, at 350 for about an hour and a half. It was seasoned with DP, Tsunami Spin and a little hickory for flavor. The skin on the thighs was really crisp. The breasts are so much larger than on a chicken that they could have actually used more time.[p]
18-09-07DuckontheGrill.jpg[p]I added roasted asparagus and new potatoes with butter, thyme and sour cream.[p]18-09-07DuckAsparagusPlated.jpg

Comments

• BobS,
    That looks great I'm going try this. Good Job.
    Ross

• BobS, I got a freezer full of wild mallards. Looking at your pic that looks like a tame or farm raised duck as them are good looking drum sticks and a mallard hardly has any. Been looking to do a couple up and yours look good. The time you mentioned sounds alittle long for a less
    "meaty" bird. I know from past experiance on a regular bbq grill a wild duck is vey lean and easy to dry out. Do you know what brest temp was when you pulled it?

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    JLOCKHART29,
    I did not measure the breast temp, but I am guessing that it was down in the 145-150 range. If I am ordering duck breast, I like it medium rare and for this one that was good, because the breast was definitely a little pink.[p]I have not cooked a mallard for years, but I would think that using a little bacon might be in order and even cutting it into kabobs might be good.[p]I'll bet that the DP recipe for Ginger Lime Chicken Kabobs would be great with duck!!!