Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walk Around

Options
Spin
Spin Posts: 1,375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my early years I would spend a portion of each summer with my grand parents. I remember asking my grand mother what she was doing as she moved about, opening the pantry, refrigerator, freezer, and (it seemed like) every door and drawer in the kitchen and food storage spaces, inspecting items as she did this. Her reply was a confident "I'm doing "walk around" to see what I can make for dinner". I thought I'd share today's "walk around" cook for dinner as Sue says it is a keeper.[p]I found two 1.25" thick pork loin chops buried in the bottom of the chest freezer dated late '98 (FoodSaver vacuum packed). I made a stuffing from diced yellow onion, celery, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and almond slivers. I sautéed the celery, onion, and pepper in a bit of unsalted butter, adding the mushrooms and almonds half way through. I added a crack of tellicherry pepper and some fresh parsley just before the onions were translucent. I removed the stuffing mix to cool. I stuffed the chops by cutting a small opening and then opening up the chop through this small opening. After stuffing them, I then closed the opening with two toothpicks inserted in an "X" pattern. I moved the chops to the freezer to get cold.[p]I found a partial jar of apricot preserves. I simmered that with a nice splash of rum and some dark brown sugar to create a basting sauce for the stuffed chops. [p]I cooked the chops direct in the Egg with no smoke at 275°F. I basted them with the sauce every 15 minutes, turning them each time. The finished chops had nice grill marks from the caramelized sugars and a beautiful color and sheen from the sauce.[p]I suggest you "Walk around" your abode and create a meal with what is there. Thanks Mom-Mom.[p]Spin

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Spin,
    I remember last year seeing a show where the Iron Chef and his crew went around to peoples houses, and whipped up these wild dinners with what was on hand. It was fun to watch....
    Kind of a walk-around-thing. Usually at least once or twice a week, I will do the walk around. It makes cooking fun. And sometimes you come up with something masterful....as it sounds like you did. But no matter what, you always you come up with something different...which makes life interesting.[p]Thanks for the great post, and for the new term from Mom-Mom.
    Walk around. I like it!
    Best to you and Sue.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ