Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking woods - chips or chunks

Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two days with egg and two fantastic meals (chicken and ribs). Questions for all you experts:
1. I've got lots of red maple, oak, and beech trees on my property. Fortunately have some aged stuff to cut up for smoking. Anyone ever try beech? What about red maple (have only seen refs to sugar)?
2. Any preference between chunks (what size?) or chips? In my two ventures, I used soaked chips, but they seemed to disappear too quickly. If I use chunks, should I just toss them on the coals? Wrap them in foil?[p]Thanks. You have gotten me hooked on this site.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Janet,
    Go with chunks about 2" X 3/4". Soak them in water at least 2 hrs (I prefer overnight), let them drain a few minutes to get rid of the excess water and then throw them on the burning lump. They will give you excellent smoke for a long time instead of burning up almost instantly.[p]I like white oak but, I can't direct you on the red maple or beech. If you get a chance, give pecan a try. Its one of our favorites.[p]Cheers,[p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Janet,
    Our friend Dr. Chicken has filled you in with some good info. I use mostly chunks but don't soak them. Just put one ot two chunks right in your fire before putting your meat on, and if you want continuous smoke, a couple more chunks around the perimeter of the fire, so that they burn as the fire migrates.[p]I have heard sugar maple is best, but we also have a lot of red maples, and I want to try it. Beech is probably also good, as it is a nut-bearing tree. Take a chunk and lay it in your fire. If it smells good to you, it will probably add a nice flavor. Pays to go easy on the wood when smoking poultry and fish, as it absorbs plenty. Chips will give you a short blast of smoke at the start, and can be good for fish or poultry when you just want a hint.[p]Here is a link with some other woods.
    Happy smoking.
    NB

[ul][li]Some Smoking Woods Info[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Thanks for the input. The website had some interesting info.[p]Now if I could only locate some Jack Daniel's Barrel trees in my woods! :- [p]

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Janet,
    You find that tree and we will ALL be over to help you. We will be TAPPING THAT TREE.

• Daryl
    Daryl Posts: 27
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the great link. The guys at BGE store gave me some cherry chips & I was wondering what to use them on.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Daryl,
    Cherry is great with just about anything. I have been using a lot of it on ribs and butts latlely.
    Smells wonderful when it burns.
    cheers and beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Daryl,[p]Cherry is also very nice on lamb.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Janet,[p]I can't help much on question one.[p]On question two: Smoke is a spice added to the meal - it is just applied differently. Smoke sticks to the surface of the meat and then the flavor slowly moves inward (creating the smoke ring of coloring). Cool meat absorbs and transfers the smoke flavor quicker than warmer meat. Once the crust is formed, the smoke flavor tends to collect on the surface. If too much smoke collects on the surface, a bitter taste (smoke bite) can be created.[p]I tend to prefer well soaked and well drained chips. I smoke very early in the cook while the Egg is rising to cooking temp and the meal is coolest.[p]Like all spices, there are thousands of ways to use them.[p]Spin