Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Chefs Choice 120 Knife Sharpener

Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a knife sharpener for my set of Wusthof knifes. My wife and I have been looking at the Chefs Choice 120 sharpener. Has anyone used this or do you have any other suggestions for a good sharpener.
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Retired RailRoader,
    That's a popular model. I have one, but I haven't use it much. Maybe I ought to have a general sharpening session...
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    I have one and it works fine. Follow the instructions. So far I have never had to put a new edge on any of my knives. We fairly recently got a full set of Cutco knives. Terrific product guaranteed for life. They also wil sharpen them for free. So I haven't used the sharpener recently
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Retired RailRoader,[p]We bought one about 2 years ago.[p]It's a good general sharpener..most say about the best of it's type you can buy.[p]On a scale of 1-10..I'd give it about 8.5[p]It has certianly paid for itself!![p]Although not what a professional guy would do with a manual stone....but if we had it to do all over again..we'd definatley buy another one!![p]
    Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Chubby, What you said.

• Retired RailRoader,[p]You have a wonderful set of knives and please don't use anything except a good diamond steel to take care of them. Take care of this large investment and just give them about 3 swipes across the steel on both sides everytime you use them and they will last you forever if you don't use them to cut barb wire. The Chefs Choice models and sharpeners like them will eat up a good knife in a very short time. If for some reason, you do screw up an edge on one of these fine knives, spend the money to have a pro sharpen the knife on a set of stones and never a machine. [p]Dave

• Old Dave,[p]I couldn't agree more. I threw my Chef's Choice in the trash, and I use a selection of diamond stones that I bought to sharpen chisels. They take a little more time, but they do a great job. One problem with the C.C., is that they don't sharpen the part of the blade where the blade gets near the handle (whatever that it called). Additionally, it grinds the heck out of the part of the blade that it does sharpen.
  • Old Dave,[p]Glad you stated your case, and I agree. I have used a CC (and others) on a variety of knives I brought with me from my catering business. I threw it away. I have these old knives (as well as newer Wusthof and Shun, and my often-used Chicago Cutlery cheapo knives, professionally sharpened. People are usually pretty passionate about loving particular brands of sharpeners, and I don't know which approach is correct about this, frankly, so my guess is that the controversy will continue.[p]I do have a question for you, and would like your opinion (and that of others) on the topic of steels. I use a standard steel made by F. **** which I have had for nearly 40 years. It has a round profile. I know that F. **** makes an oblong profile diamond steel, which I have been consodering, however I've been informed by the folks who sharpen my knives that the diamond steels are best used on Henckels and other harder (Rockwell) knives and I'm better off using my standard steel. I wonder if you agree. Do you think I should: 1) clean, or 2) replace my standard steel. To be quite honest, I have never been really dilligent with, or good at, using the steel. I have even taken to using a carbide, hand-held Smith sharpener (very, very lightly) to hone my blades, and it does a pretty good job.[p]I also have a sister-in-law who has never wanted to use a sharp knife because she is afraid of cutting herself, and she would never listen to me. Last Christmas I gave her a Shun paring knife (I didn't want to scare her with anything bigger) and she absolutely loves it!!!![p]Thanks,
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Well if you use the coarse grind every time, it will definitely 'eat' knives but you should only need to use the coarse grind once in a great while (maybe never).[p]I have not found using the other two positions to have any effect on blade life.[p]Toy Man
  • Just wanted to thank everyone for the ideas and opinions. Have a Great Holiday!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader,[p]I completely agree that a professionally sharpened knife beats what the Chef's Choice can do. If you are the kind of person who needs to prove he can shave with his kitchen knives, don't get the Chef's Choice: it'll never produce that fine an edge. However, I have found that the Chef's Choice provides me with a very sharp edge that meets all my needs, and because it's in my cupboard, I can get a that edge on anytime I wish. The convenience factor alone makes it worth the investment. [p]I've used the Chefs Choice 120 on my expensive knives for about 5 years. If you use the second and third stages, reserving the first stage for damaged blades only, you will not degrade your blades in any significant way. [p]As others have mentioned, use your steel to "tune up" your knives. 5-6 swipes on each side will do the trick. By using the steel regularly, you'll find that you won't need to use the Chef's Choice that often.

• The Reverand,[p]I also keep a standard steel around for my low carbon steel knives for putting the final hone on them. However, I still use the diamond steel for most work. I love a good low carbon steel knife as you can put a better edge on them than you can about any other knife but it just won't hold very long. I use this type of knife for boning and I have two that are about 50 years old and still as good as the day we purchased them although they are about 60% used up. Yes, I think you should clean your steel often and check it against a new one as they do get used up with a lot of use and loaded to where it is very difficult to get it all out. [p]Dave[p]

• Retired RailRoader,
    I have had a Chefs Choice that I have used for years. If you use it according the the directions, it will give you good service and will do a nice job on your knives. I am 63 years old, I figure the knife blades will last as long as I need for them too.[p]I have never cut myself using a Chefs Choice Sharpener,
    Doug [p]

• Old Dave,[p]Thank you for the info, I'll start looking into a diamond steel and pay closer attention to my regular one.[p]Happy Cooking,[p]Bob