Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrap those Polder Probes

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
turkey2.jpg
<p />I did a turkey breast tonight - it was about 4-5 lb. I did it in a drip pan over 2 firebricks to keep the drippings from burning. In the picture you can see my polder probe is double wrapped (loose wrap) in foil. I have found that I loose very few probes anymore since I started wrapping them. I was cooking this bird indirect at 350-375 for 3 hrs. 375-400 deg is about the safe max for a bare probe - it might go higher but your taking a chance. Tonight I let Humpty get away from me at one point and the dome went to 500 deg - ouch - I shut it down and got it back to 350 in 5-10 min but I am sure that foil wrap saved me $6 for a new probe. [p]Turkey was wonderful![p]Tim

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, Great Advice! Since you made an earlier post (and I try to listen to the eggsperts) I always wrap the probe - even at low temps. [p]BTW... your little bird looks great!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Did you leave the pop-up thermometer in for entertainment???

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Options
    Tim M,
    Looks very impressive with the foil wrap. I guess I need to knock on wood (or ceramic). We have had our polder for a year now and have not had to replace it yet. (knock, knock, knock). We have used it a lot too. Don't think we have had it above 400°. We have replacement probes and even have a replacement for the polder itself thanks to Tuesday Morning. But they are all still brand new. I guess we have been lucky.
    BTW, the turkey looks impressive too.[p]

• Tim M
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Actually there were two of them things in that bird. I never looked at it until I stuck in the Polder probe - it was raining and I was working to get Big Humtpy upto 350 deg. That was the first firing of the big boy in over a month and with Noah coming by in the ark - the lump was a tad damp. No real problem except that you need to leave the daisy off and the rain cap on the chimney (cocked up) so the fire gets going good. The polder read 160 and neither of those gizmos had popped. I left it in until it read 166 and pulled it out. They were both popped out when I did - triple protection![p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    turkey2.jpg
    <p />SpiceCooks,
    Its just a caution. The point was that I didn't intend to go above 375 but it was raining pretty hard and the vent settings were open more than usual. I left to go play with something and came back 20 min later to find Jolly Green up to 500 deg. Ohhh, I looked at the Polder which I thought would be reading -30 deg or just saying Error - but it was reading 56 internal and no harm. Maybe since the bird was still cold (56 deg - my frig is shot and 45 is the lowest I can go in it) that helped - but it lived through it. Its just a nice $6 precaution. Looks like something on the Moon Lander doesn't it - wish I had some gold colored foil.[p]Tim

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Tim M,
    Turkey Breast looks good...what did you marinate it in? Thinking of doing a breast next week....[p]Chief

• Tim M
    Options
    Chief,
    Didn't marinate at all. Spices under the skin and olive oil and some spices on that. It came out of the Butterball bag and into Jolly Green. Our frig is dieing a slow horible death (actually we are the one suffering - no ice - no milk - hurry friday). We are cooking everything hours before it spoils I think. I had to toss out some brocoli this morning --- ahh atleast some good news.[p]Tim - waiting for the Sears delivery truck!

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Tim M,[p]After about nine months of use, my polder probe is still doing just fine and I have wrapped it only once. That was when we did a london broil and I wanted to test the temp on it for rare while cooking at over 500*.[p]Fritz