Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chiminea Usage Comments

With the fall temps we have started using our Chiminea.  Just wondering how others are using their model.  

First attempt with a simple piece of firewood from Ace Hardware was too slow of a burn.  Had to use lots of kindling and that single piece of wood took three evenings to burn.  Then decided to use a chain saw to make large chunks out of each piece of firewood.  That has burned better but I still am only burning a single layer of wood. 

We moved our Chiminea much closer to our outdoor chairs than we originally tried.  It's clearly not a fire pit - where you use much more fuel and have a large heated area.  Rather it is an outside fireplace not entirely responsible for heating your area but instead a complement to the evening atmosphere.  That's to our liking as we don't want our deck taken over by the space a fire pit would need.

We love the look of the Chiminea but would like to know others experience with it.  Looking forward to other comments on this wonderful addition to the BGE.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,081
    edited October 17
    While I don’t have a Chiminea would think it is no different than any other “ burning wood for heat “ ( fire pit or offset cooker ) where you really want a good coal bed , that ceramic will radiate the heat just fine with a coal bed and keeping a split or two burning to feed the bed …. You would want splits that catch as soon as you put them in staying away from wood that’s to dense or large 

Just my thoughts 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,274
    too cold for a chiminea here right now, it was 31 degrees this morning on my way to work. tried propane patio heaters before and any breeze and they were useless for heat. my fire pit is 8 feet deep and 5 feet wide, im looking at getting a small bucket loader just to remove the 3 feet of ash buildup right now ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,274
    for the chiminea, i built a small wood stove for the boat years ago out of a 20 pound propane bottle. hard to burn in and create enough heat to cook on. to get it to work i extended the chimney about 4 feet with some ducting, got the bed of coals burning hot with lump, then started adding small splits to keep it burning well. the trick was to get it as hot as possible and add the top chimney to get the air draft working properly. a fireplace in the house is similar, theres no good draft until its cold outside for several days and then you need to get that brickwork hot to get the draft working.  just an idea
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I found that you need a pile of kindling and a couple of smallish well aged firewood splits. Once the kindling is going with a good coal base, then put the one firewood splits down the chimney and let get going, then put a second one in and they will burn against each other and make quite a nice fire with flames shooting out of the chimney top.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,987
    98bge said:
    With the fall temps we have started using our Chiminea.  Just wondering how others are using their model.  

First attempt with a simple piece of firewood from Ace Hardware was too slow of a burn.  Had to use lots of kindling and that single piece of wood took three evenings to burn.  Then decided to use a chain saw to make large chunks out of each piece of firewood.  That has burned better but I still am only burning a single layer of wood. 

We moved our Chiminea much closer to our outdoor chairs than we originally tried.  It's clearly not a fire pit - where you use much more fuel and have a large heated area.  Rather it is an outside fireplace not entirely responsible for heating your area but instead a complement to the evening atmosphere.  That's to our liking as we don't want our deck taken over by the space a fire pit would need.

We love the look of the Chiminea but would like to know others experience with it.  Looking forward to other comments on this wonderful addition to the BGE.
    New or old chiminea? If new style and if you don’t mind telling me about how much did it cost? I haven’t seen one in person so that’s why I’m asking.
  • 98bge
    98bge Posts: 5
    RRP said: New or old chiminea? If new style and if you don’t mind telling me about how much did it cost? I haven’t seen one in person so that’s why I’m asking.
    We have the new model.  Cost was aprox $699 - from the corporate store (don't recall exactly.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,282

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL