Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boars Head

alaskanassasin
alaskanassasin Posts: 8,092
 For some reason, I have always associated Boars Head with quality. I am not really sure why, possibly their neat clean display cases.  Last Monday, I went to get some ham and noticed the deli counter at Kroger was wiped out, very few products in the glass case. This explains it.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,764
    Yup, very alarming. Happens a lot in the food industry unfortunately. Wasn’t as mainstream worthy until peanut butter allergies and the whole Blue Bell situation 
  • alaskanassasin
    They were running it like a dollar tree distribution center.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    I had an employee years ago who wouldn’t eat burgers ever, always chicken.  He had worked at large beef processing plant, I never asked for deets.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,764
    Not saying there weren’t any major problems, but that’s a bit of a stretch. Having read numerous FDA reports, including my own facility’s, they tend to be a little free with the wording
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,726
    edited August 30
    Perception of quality and actual quality are two different things. I’ve been to plenty of Chic fil As with C food ratings. People don’t believe me when I tell them. I suppose they don’t want to believe me is more likely the case. 

This one feels like Blue Bell. 

On a side note, recalls always expand. Stay away from all of it until the coast is clear. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    I've never noticed Boar's Head was any better than the rest of the case - just more expensive.  It's processed meat after all.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,062
    All that glitters… is not gold.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,032
    I had an employee years ago who wouldn’t eat burgers ever, always chicken.  He had worked at large beef processing plant, I never asked for deets.
    I think I've read worse things about chicken processing than I have beef.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• alaskanassasin
    ColbyLang said:
    Not saying there weren’t any major problems, but that’s a bit of a stretch. Having read numerous FDA reports, including my own facility’s, they tend to be a little free with the wording
    People are dying from eating their food.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Botch said:
    Those were my thoughts exactly that I kept to myself lol.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Otherwise we wouldn’t be able to stop at bojangles!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,060
    edited August 31

Botch said:
    I’ve worked in both , chicken is the worse and why you should always by whole chickens .. first time in a beef plant I didn’t eat beef for a year, not because it was dirty, more from seeing the animal going from live to 2 side of beef in a minute or two 

on another note, make this stuff yourself  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,726
    edited August 31
    A hot dog/bologna plant In Greensboro was probably the nastiest plant I’ve been in. 

A leading brand name ham facility in Virginia was a close second. The amount of corrosion from the salt was unbelievable.

A chicken rendering plant on a 105 degree South Carolina day is an experience as well. 
  • alaskanassasin
    I see what you did there @DoubleEggerlol
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    lkapigian said:
     first time in a beef plant I didn’t eat beef for a year
    Just like me when I was in public accounting one of the local clients was the Pabst Blue Ribbon plant. As a young staff person I was assigned the dirtiest task which took me all over the production ends of the plant. The worst area was where the grains were cooked in HUGE vats. The stench was overwhelming - I mean gagging level!!! For at least 2 years I could not stand to drink beer because I swear that stench just would come back to me!
  • JohnInCarolina
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    Just like me when I was in public accounting one of the local clients was the Pabst Blue Ribbon plant. As a young staff person I was assigned the dirtiest task which took me all over the production ends of the plant. The worst area was where the grains were cooked in HUGE vats. The stench was overwhelming - I mean gagging level!!! For at least 2 years I could not stand to drink beer because I swear that stench just would come back to me!
    So… it smelled like PBR?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    So… it smelled like PBR?
    B I N G O . 

Another large plant in Peoria was Hiram Walker. I was out in the plant doing an audit step (and step was the correct term) as I had on new shoes and I side-stepped to avoid a pool of something. Doing so I got creme de coco all over my suit. That suit could not be cleaned and I had to trash it! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    lkapigian said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    So… it smelled like PBR?
    B I N G O . 

Another large plant in Peoria was Hiram Walker. I was out in the plant doing an audit step (and step was the correct term) as I had on new shoes and I side-stepped to avoid a pool of something. Doing so I got creme de coco all over my suit. That suit could not be cleaned and I had to trash it! 
    I love the smell of fermenting yeast, I’m thinking that’s why I was popular with the sketchy girls in school 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,189
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    So… it smelled like PBR?
    B I N G O . 

Decatur has to be the worst smelling town I have ever been to.  That ADM plant pumps out the smells year round.  Winter, it just hangs in the air.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• alaskanassasin
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    So… it smelled like PBR?
    B I N G O . 

Decatur has to be the worst smelling town I have ever been to.  That ADM plant pumps out the smells year round.  Winter, it just hangs in the air.
    Chattanooga has a lingering sewage smell, apparently they combine their storm water with their sewage so when it rains everything gets stirred up. If it really pours it just runs into the river. 
     We drove through some pulp towns in Oregon and they were really smelly.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,191
    A hot dog/bologna plant In Greensboro was probably the nastiest plant I’ve been in. 

A leading brand name ham facility in Virginia was a close second. The amount of corrosion from the salt was unbelievable.

A chicken rendering plant on a 105 degree South Carolina day is an experience as well. 
    I live in Greensboro and don’t know of a plant like this here. What was it called?

worst I’ve ever seen was doing secure document storage for a chicken processing plant. Pools of blood in the parking lot. Scared me to death. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!