Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tootsie Tomanetz’s (Snows Bbq) Pork Steaks

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,045
    dbCooper said:
    I'll be giving these a go this week.  Looking for advice when I visit the butcher, should I request they be cut from the shoulder or butt?
    The latter if you’re looking for boneless.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Today’s vocabulary word is unctuous. 

It’s funny but, prior to today, I’d only heard this adjective applied to used car salesmen…
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    Word power assignment for the day: Craft a pickup line that uses the word unctuous.
    Not a felon
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,243
    Today’s vocabulary word is unctuous. 

It’s funny but, prior to today, I’d only heard this adjective applied to used car salesmen…
    Haha brilliant.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,344
    dbCooper said:
    I'll be giving these a go this week.  Looking for advice when I visit the butcher, should I request they be cut from the shoulder or butt?

I can get Butts and Shoulders bone in or out.  Thinking Butts would be better due to more marbling or are shoulders preferred for these steaks?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Stormbringer
    I thought pork butt and shoulder were the same. Every day is a school day here, it’s great. https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/articles/1214-the-difference-between-pork-butt-and-pork-shoulder
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    I thought pork butt and shoulder were the same. Every day is a school day here, it’s great. https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/articles/1214-the-difference-between-pork-butt-and-pork-shoulder
    Thank you; I did too.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• JohnInCarolina
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

I can get Butts and Shoulders bone in or out.  Thinking Butts would be better due to more marbling or are shoulders preferred for these steaks?
    I have only done butts, so I can’t say for sure.  The recipe in Texas Monthly indicates four steaks cut from a shoulder, so take it for what it’s worth.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

I have only done butts, so I can’t say for sure.  The recipe in Texas Monthly indicates four steaks cut from a shoulder, so take it for what it’s worth.
     @The Cen-Tex Smoker said he used a shoulder.  The Texas Monthly article uses Butt and Shoulder seemingly interchangeably, this is why I am looking for clarification on which is preferred.
    Great Plains, USA
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 500
    Boston butt is a cut from the shoulder. 

These are typically a Boston butt cut into steaks.

Hopefully that helps?
    Austin, TX
  • dbCooper
    @Eggpharmer - That is helpful, thank you.  Butts it will be.
    Great Plains, USA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    My butcher said he can only get these for me if they are boneless- not bone-in.  I am thinking that @The Cen-Tex Smoker cooked bone-in and maybe @JohnInCarolina cook was boneless...?  I am going to try the boneless but I won't be able to for a few weeks :( 
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

@The Cen-Tex Smoker said he used a shoulder.  The Texas Monthly article uses Butt and Shoulder seemingly interchangeably, this is why I am looking for clarification on which is preferred.
    We use it interchangeably here. I guess the whole shoulder would include the picnic as well but this recipe is for butt. Bone in is as good as boneless. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited July 14
    dbCooper said:
    dbCooper said:

We don’t really see picnic too much here so shoulder and butt are used interchangeably here to mean the Boston butt cut of the shoulder. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    booksw said:
    My butcher said he can only get these for me if they are boneless- not bone-in.  I am thinking that @The Cen-Tex Smoker cooked bone-in and maybe @JohnInCarolina cook was boneless...?  I am going to try the boneless but I won't be able to for a few weeks :( 
    Mine were boneless but either way is good. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Boston butt is a cut from the shoulder. 

These are typically a Boston butt cut into steaks.

Hopefully that helps?
    This is correct. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    booksw said:
    Mine were boneless but either way is good. 
    Mine too.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    Boneless it is!!
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Stormbringer
    edited July 27
    Doing this tonight 👍 SWMBO suggested swapping the mustard powder for Ras El Hanout. 

• Stormbringer
    It's on now ... I made the sauce and applied it, it was quite liquid-y I was expecting it to have more of a BBQ sauce consistency. We'll see how it goes. I also added barrel aged maple syrup to the sauce, that goes quite nicely with ral el hanout. 

• JohnInCarolina
    It's on now ... I made the sauce and applied it, it was quite liquid-y I was expecting it to have more of a BBQ sauce consistency. We'll see how it goes. I also added barrel aged maple syrup to the sauce, that goes quite nicely with ral el hanout. 
    Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this cook, my friend.
  • Stormbringer
    Really hoping this is wrong 😮

• Stormbringer
    edited July 27
    Looking good so far ... I'm using the Meater+ as a guide, the shoulder feels firm at the moment, it's at 150F IT. I guess it will loosen up as the connective tissue melts. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Looking good so far ... I'm using the Meater+ as a guide, the shoulder feels firm at the moment, it's at 150F IT. I guess it will loosen up as the connective tissue melts. 

Yes. They need to go to at least 180 before they get tender. 
  • Stormbringer
    Getting closer 175F now and it’s starting to loosen 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Getting closer 175F now and it’s starting to loosen 

You are close. That looks pretty damn good. You are in for a treat. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    That looks fantastic.  They are so good. Glad you enjoyed. 
  • Stormbringer
    edited July 27
    Just finished dinner, that was amazing, SWMBO approves. The maple syrup really made the sauce work, and complimented the ras el hanout perfectly. The sauce / mop recipe was as per the original link that @The Cen-Tex Smoker put up, replacing the mustard power with the ras el hanout and worcester sauce with maple syrup. I pulled it at 190F, rested it for 10 mins then carved and served. Also I didn't need to use any oak, the aromatics from the fat dripping onto coals was fine.

I cooked it in the large raised up using the PSWoo and extender grid. Seeing the result I don't think it would have worked in the MMX so well, I suspect it would have been a little too close to the heat source. 

It took just over 5 hours to cook. 

Another classic Cen-Tex pork recipe done. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    That was phenomenal 

What a great photo spread and cook/banquet right there.  Never a doubt.  
    As an aside, your chips/frys photos are always incredible.  Your process is quite dialed in.  I recall you always use the same pedigree spud and it clearly delivers.  Most excellent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.