Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,259
https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/11/business/nathans-hot-dog-joey-chestnut-banned-impossible/index.html

Joey Chestnut won't be in Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest this year, because he has... signed a deal with a plant-based food company.  

If this isn't a sign the world is coming to an end, I don't know what is.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,828
    16x World Champion just like Ric Flair. 

I don’t blame Nathan’s.  Nobody wants to eat a vegan commie dog on America’s Birthday. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,095
    I think those lab meat companies are really struggling, tbh.  Probably another 5-10 years until that market becomes more sustainable and mainstream. I would think a hot dog would be the easiest transition, or chicken nugs.
    Not a felon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092
    Legume said:
    I think those lab meat companies are really struggling, tbh.  Probably another 5-10 years until that market becomes more sustainable and mainstream. I would think a hot dog would be the easiest transition, or chicken nugs.
    I agree, personally I don't see it really ever gaining traction and if it does it will backslide when the negative long term health effects come to light 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,095
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    I agree, personally I don't see it really ever gaining traction and if it does it will backslide when the negative long term health effects come to light 
    Hahaha - meat margarine
    Not a felon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,132
    Legume said:
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    Hahaha - meat margarine
    100%. This stuff is so hyper processed there is no way it’s not worse for your body than plain ol meat. Just reading the ingredients list is enough for me to say “hard pass”. And the fact that it has the texture and flavor of cat food does not help the cause either. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,304
    Legume said:
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    Hahaha - meat margarine
    100%. This stuff is so hyper processed there is no way it’s not worse for your body than plain ol meat. Just reading the ingredients list is enough for me to say “hard pass”. And the fact that it has the texture and flavor of cat food does not help the cause either. 
    I have a friend who is a vegan.  She feeds her dog real meat based food.  Not 100% sure my thoughts on that.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,304
    Okay, who made it to the end?  If you did, it was worth it:

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,828
    Legume said:
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    Hahaha - meat margarine
    I have a friend who is a vegan.  She feeds her dog real meat based food.  Not 100% sure my thoughts on that.
    Kudos to her for not making her dog be a vegan. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,259
    Courtesy of Anthony Bourdain:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,113
    edited June 18
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Dogs only live 10-14 years, why deprive them in that short time?

And, really, the same can be applied to us hoomans.  Would you rather eat real foods for 70 years, or oatmeal for 80 years?  I've made my choice.   ;)  

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.