Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Running out of lump during long cook- what should I have done?

Options
As you all know I am new to this. I am doing my second picnic roast which I started around 830 last night. Woke up 10 hours later, and the IT is 188 but the grill temp was dropping. Turns out I was completely out of the lump. Aside from loading more in to start last night, what should I have done to get this cook over the finish line? I ended up pulling the woo and roast out of the grill to load in more lump and relit. Then put everything back inside. Will it taste bitter because I didn’t let the VOCs burn off? Seems like the better option than leaving the meat in the cold while the new lump got established. Thanks. 

Comments

• BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    We’ve all done cooks longer than that, make sure you have lump up to the top of the first ring. You know it’s not an air flow issue or your temps would have run high. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    90% chance you didn't have enough lump in there........fill it all the way up to the top of the fire ring.  You can go at least 18 hrs at 250F.

Lump cannot burn faster without shedding the BTUs, but thats usually not something you wouldnt notice or some factor that stealing more than a few hours.   A very cold day with high winds, a lot of meat or a water pan, or an uncalibrated dome temp gauge (you're running a higher temp than you thought), can all steal some BTUs.  Or if you're using lump for a second time after half it's BTUs have been used up could do it too.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,669
    Options
    I agree with not enough lump and finishing in the oven. I wouldn’t worry about it being bitter. I doubt you’ll notice any taste difference at all.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As others have said, you likely needed more lump. 

On the rare occasion that I’ve had to top up during a cook, I wrap the meat to ensure that it continues to cook without gettting hit too severely by the acrid white smoke. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    If you don't have enough lump, there's no way of fixing it at the BGE without adding more lump. The only work around is to move it to the oven.  Assuming your a few hours into the cook, you probably already have enough smoke penetration, and the oven will be fine to finish the cook.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Cstorm
    Cstorm Posts: 11
    Options
    Appreciate all of these helpful responses.  Have to admit I did not think of using the oven (or wrapping in foil at that point).  I did finish the cook on the egg and fortunately I did not think the flavor was impacted by topping up which is good because we are sharing this cook with another family.  Cheers!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,220
    Options
    It always comes down to this.