Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aaron Franklin's actual secret brisket spices have finally leaked

Options

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The revelation that will rock the BBQ world. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,811
    Options
    there was alot of work that went into that rub ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    But is it 16 mesh ground pepper?? B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    hand ground pepper in a reverse style twist mill....makes a huge difference
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,781
    Options
    Its missing MSG

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    What he doesn't tell you is that each grain of salt is first massaged by hand.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,173
    edited November 2023
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    But is it 16 mesh ground pepper?? B)
    That got me thinking.  What type of pepper too?  With over 600 varieties of black pepper plus he may even blend different types, then mesh size.  Oh boy, maybe the secret isn't out!?

@Ikapigian msg must be listed.  Are you saying his bottled blend might be different than his house blend!?

@fishlessman an even deeper conundrum.  How to crack/crush/break it open.  Maybe even toast it!?

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think the pepper is also washed in pickle juice.  
  • lkapigian
    Options
    LoL

@Ozzie_Isaac I doubt that is his house blend but no idea as I have never had it , but I am firmly in the MSG Camp preferably Ajinomoto 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    LoL

@Ozzie_Isaac I doubt that is his house blend but no idea as I have never had it , but I am firmly in the MSG Camp preferably Ajinomoto 
    That is what I use too.  I was happily using it.  Then the anti-msg'rs found out and pitched a fit.

Less sodium + more flavor?  All the science says it is safe, and yet due to "Chinese headaches" it has a bad rap.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    LoL

That is what I use too.  I was happily using it.  Then the anti-msg'rs found out and pitched a fit.

Less sodium + more flavor?  All the science says it is safe, and yet due to "Chinese headaches" it has a bad rap.
    It’s technically naturally fermented with some science thrown in 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    pretty funny . . I want to try a bottle of his spicy BBQ sauce
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    LoL

more repeat customers with the chinese fentanyl than msg.....

fukahwee maine

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Maybe his version is guaranteed to not clump...
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    I would have thought it would be at least 51% pepper such that pepper would be listed first.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I would have thought it would be at least 51% pepper such that pepper would be listed first.
    Rules were meant to be broken.  Nobody, and I mean nobody says "Pepa & Salt"
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,502
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Got my curiousity up, Are ingredients listed in order of weight, or volume?  (I’m guessing weight, but not sure).  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• lkapigian
    Options
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:
    Got my curiousity up, Are ingredients listed in order of weight, or volume?  (I’m guessing weight, but not sure).  
    Weight On product labels 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:
    Weight On product labels 
    I bet they weighed them before they were brined in pickle juice.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hope the same fate doesn't befall upon Franklin...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• rekameohs
    Options
    I get the humor from all of the posts, but I am a big fan of just S&P vs using some of the expensive/complicated rubs.  I would love to see a true double-blind tasting contest of S&P vs other rubs.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    I get the humor from all of the posts, but I am a big fan of just S&P vs using some of the expensive/complicated rubs.  I would love to see a true double-blind tasting contest of S&P vs other rubs.
    That is the inside joke.  People spend a lot of time trying to improve on salt & pepper.  People also always try and figure out Mr. Franklin's special rub.  Around here salt&pepper is respected.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    That is the inside joke.  People spend a lot of time trying to improve on salt & pepper.  People also always try and figure out Mr. Franklin's special rub.  Around here salt&pepper is respected.
    Yes Sir, only reason for fancy overly sweet/spicy blends is for the "One Bite" Competition world, something you cant make a meal out of 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    edited November 2023
    Options
    theres always a secret with franklin,  he probably learned to pack his brisket in a pound of sugar over night before adding his salt and pepper rub. early egghead technique when the forum was just starting out =)  give it a try with a nonfatcapped flat or when your weightwatcher angy sil shows up

rtsbrisket2jpg

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    theres always a secret with franklin,  he probably learned to pack his brisket in a pound of sugar over night before adding his salt and pepper rub. early egghead technique when the forum was just starting out =)  give it a try with a nonfatcapped flat or when your weightwatcher angy sil shows up

rtsbrisket2jpg

Okay wow!  I completely missed this sugar packer train.  Does anyone still do this?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

rtsbrisket2jpg

I think I need to hear more about this angry weightwatcher sister in law of yours...
  • fishlessman
    edited November 2023
    Options

rtsbrisket2jpg

Okay wow!  I completely missed this sugar packer train.  Does anyone still do this?

if i were still buying cheap over trimmed flats from a supermarket i would still do this. the whole box of white sugar for about 5 hours. brush then wipe off the sugar with a damp towell, then hit it with rub for a low and slow. seems to be more tender, and gives a good smoke ring. brisket in the super market here are always no fat, always a flat. scratch that, olddave here had a method where its done direct with a half bag of smoking chunks that i like better. its newengland anyways, no one knows what its supposed to be
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    He stole it from the Beatles. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Dry aged pickle juice!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.