Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pickleball Anyone?

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,346
Anyone play? Just getting in to the sport as I can’t play racquetball any longe post knee-replacement. 

Was amazed to find out the current women’s #1 is a 16 y/o high school student - and she currently has a net worth of $1.5M:

https://www.ppatour.com/athlete/anna-leigh-waters/
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,849
    Tennis player here.  Pickleball players are our sworn enemies.

(not really, but they did mess up the parking at the tennis facility)
    NOLA
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    I woke up with pickle balls last Tuesday. I wasn't happy about it because it stung just a little bit and there were three seeds in a place I dare not describe. I had to throw my underwear out in the garden and it'll be interesting to see if they grow cucumbers or not. I hope you can come over in the fall for a fresh salad.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Other half, signed us up, it's been fun, body adjusting to the resumption of exercise.  It's addicting.  
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    Played a few times....getting into it.  Our small town just put in 16 (I think) courts.  I am being pressured to get one or two installed at the campground.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,973
    I haven't tried it yet myself, but I did have one random elderly dude call me at work suggesting that the university do research into pickleball noise because we have some kind of special acoustical instrument (that is definitely not meant to measure that kind of noise, but I digress).  I had to tell him that's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works...

In any case, apparently the noise has become a real issue in some communities.  We have courts in ours but they're so far from our house I don't think I've ever heard people playing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    I haven't tried it yet myself, but I did have one random elderly dude call me at work suggesting that the university do research into pickleball noise because we have some kind of special acoustical instrument (that is definitely not meant to measure that kind of noise, but I digress).  I had to tell him that's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works...

In any case, apparently the noise has become a real issue in some communities.  We have courts in ours but they're so far from our house I don't think I've ever heard people playing.
    Yep, its an issue. I heard this on NPR recently, and wonder if the guy who called you had heard/read the same.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/09/1181246866/pickleball-noise-problem-courts-bats-play

Its apparently the fastest growing sport in the US (or something like that). Especially among the older crowd. Whose hearing may not be up to snuff to begin with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    I've only watched a few minutes of the game on tv and it does seem to have a rather annoying sound.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    Don’t be exercising! I can’t hear my tv!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Ran into a pickle ball player in a hoity-toity  neighborhood.  No joke, he had a pink pastel sweater tied over his shoulders, a white shirt with tiny emblems, and blue pastel shorts.

I had walked over because there was a car carrier with a Lotus being delivered.  I talked to the sweater wearing fella, and he said it wasn't his car, but his "pickle ball partner" was finally getting it back after a year in the shop, and he wasn't in town to receive it.

It was one of the most cliche experiences of my life.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    I grew up playing comp tennis.   As I get older (wrong side of 50) pickle ball has piqued my interest but have yet to try it.  Club has 6 courts for tennis /pickle and they have men’s, women’s and couples events.   The misses even said she may want to try it out.  That would move the needle for me. 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,965
    Ran into a pickle ball player in a hoity-toity  neighborhood.  No joke, he had a pink pastel sweater tied over his shoulders, a white shirt with tiny emblems, and blue pastel shorts.

I had walked over because there was a car carrier with a Lotus being delivered.  I talked to the sweater wearing fella, and he said it wasn't his car, but his "pickle ball partner" was finally getting it back after a year in the shop, and he wasn't in town to receive it.

Your description of that guy reminds me of an almost identically attired guy and his wife (we called them yuppies) who came to one of our Eggfests in Peoria. In those pristine attires they “egged?” spare ribs for like 45 minutes and then tried to conceal the bloody pork with sauce! A couple of us older farts tried to be polite and tell them they were not cooked enough and they got huffy and left! 
  • HeavyG

The bible of his tribe...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,805
    Unlike tennis, pickleball is like badminton in that it is pretty easy to become competent rather quickly. Tennis courts in my community still get some use, but nowhere near as much as by the pickleball mafia.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    "An awkward pickle for health-care costs Health insurers are facing a new plague, said Joe Weisenthal in Bloomberg: pickleball. In June, UnitedHealth Group warned that rates might go up because the company "was seeing a higher than-expected pace of hip replacements, knee surgeries, and other elective procedures."
    One analyst at UBS offers up pickleball as the culprit. In a note published this week titled "Is Pickleball Driving Higher Health Care Utilization?" UBS's Andrew Mok said that pickleball participation is anticipated to soar 150 percent this year to 22.3 million players, with seniors making up one-third. Those seniors are far more susceptible to injuries -strains, sprains, fractures-that can snowball into orthopedic surgeries.
    UBS surmises that the tennis-like activity will send about 67,000 players to the emergency room this year, require 9,000 outpatient surgeries, and tally $377 million in "pickleball related" medical costs."

Let's be careful out there!

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    My cousin bubba had pickle balls. They looked more like really pale gerkins with a small beard at the bottom, which makes you think they may be past their sell by date, but then you realize they're hanging right im front of an a$$ anyway, which means even.if you get them fresh, the back of them could taste like sh!t
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,973
    I really don’t have anything against the sport, but this does look rather ridiculous on ESPN:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    just be aware of pickleball injuries, i mean who would put these dangerous courts in elderly communities....what could possibly go wrong =) i want my lawyer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    First they say exercise will help maintain your health, bone density, and balance and now this news?
  • fishlessman
    First they say exercise will help maintain your health, bone density, and balance and now this news?

its just another retirement income plan....the court was wet, the court lines were too wide by an inch, why didnt they tell me i could get hurt.....

fukahwee maine

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    I really don’t have anything against the sport, but this does look rather ridiculous on ESPN:

LMAO, I actually stumbled across that yesterday I believe.   Watched it for about 2 mins, shook my head and moved on to other worthless TV.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • fishlessman

LMAO, I actually stumbled across that yesterday I believe.   Watched it for about 2 mins, shook my head and moved on to other worthless TV.
    At least Curling knows exactly what it is.

maybe pickleball beer caps would make it interesting
    fukahwee maine

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    HeavyG said:
    UBS surmises that the tennis-like activity will send about 67,000 players to the emergency room this year, require 9,000 outpatient surgeries, and tally $377 million in "pickleball related" medical costs."

Let's be careful out there!

That is nearly as many people who head to the emergency room with the little wires from their BBQ brush in their throat.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    I’ve never been injured drinking beer on the couch. Just sayin. 
    I'm pretty sure I'm older than you; just wait.   ;)  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,800
    edited August 2023
    A long time back, I used to liaise with a consultant who was big into it. Frankly, I had never seen it played and never looked into it. Now I know. Also, just learned “dinking” is a thing. 

As one famed member here says, being on this forum means I learn something every dang day. 
  • i fell for it... now i'm hooked.  i accept my lot in life lol 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477

Not only are we in the dog days of summer sports-wise (thus the above) but the true  dog days of summer as explained below:

"The phrase is a reference to Sirius, the Dog Star. During the “Dog Days” period, the Sun occupies the same region of the sky as Sirius, the brightest star visible from any part of Earth. Sirius is a part of the constellation Canis Major, the Greater Dog.

In the summer, Sirius rises and sets with the Sun. On July 23rd, specifically, it is in conjunction with the Sun, and because the star is so bright, the ancient Romans believed it actually gave off heat and added to the Sun’s warmth, accounting for the long stretch of sultry weather. They referred to this time as diēs caniculārēs, or “dog days.”

Thus, the term Dog Days of Summer came to mean the 20 days before and 20 days after this alignment of Sirius with the Sun—July 3 to August 11 each year."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    lousubcap said:

Not only are we in the dog days of summer sports-wise (thus the above) but the true  dog days of summer as explained below:

"The phrase is a reference to Sirius, the Dog Star. During the “Dog Days” period, the Sun occupies the same region of the sky as Sirius, the brightest star visible from any part of Earth. Sirius is a part of the constellation Canis Major, the Greater Dog.

In the summer, Sirius rises and sets with the Sun. On July 23rd, specifically, it is in conjunction with the Sun, and because the star is so bright, the ancient Romans believed it actually gave off heat and added to the Sun’s warmth, accounting for the long stretch of sultry weather. They referred to this time as diēs caniculārēs, or “dog days.”

Thus, the term Dog Days of Summer came to mean the 20 days before and 20 days after this alignment of Sirius with the Sun—July 3 to August 11 each year."

Not even fact checking that.  Just gonna believe it outright.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard