Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Given BGE thinks its products are GOATS why sink a thread about a no contest GOAT, Secretariat-

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,393
edited June 2023 in EggHead Forum
The Secretariat thread acknowledging the 50th year of his Triple Crown win (25 year hiatus since Citation) survived at the 45th anniversary but not now.  Must of had $$ on Sham. 
Edit to add the following:
In 1973 Secretariat graced the covers of Time, Sports Illustrated and Newsweek.  The charged atmosphere this country was experiencing at that time was very divisive across many issues.
Big Red was a source of commonality that all could get behind.  Truly remarkable and needed then. 
A GOAT debate with no challengers!
To put this in perspective-Big Red still holds the track records for all three Triple Crown races:
So as of right now (Belmont Saturday) there have been 149 races to beat one of his times; Secretariat's record, 149-0.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lousubcap
    Options
    A test bump!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is another fascinating fact about Big Red. He is on record as having a sphincter that was 3mm thicker than any other horse on record. That is not some of my nonsense, it’s an absolute verifiable fact. One can’t help but to wonder did that thicker sphincter play a part in his success. Definitely something to ponder for sure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    If that doesn’t get this thread sunk…

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Did you fellows know that June 9 was also the first appearance of Donald Duck? 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If that doesn’t get this thread sunk…
    If stating an absolute fact gets a thread sunk then the forum has really went to heck.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited June 2023
    Options
    June 9, 2019. Final tie-in for TransCanada in the Gulf of Mexico. 42” pipe sitting in the Bear Clamp.

Sur de Texas-Tuxpan subsea mainline. 

And to think, at a cost of over 2 billion dollars little ole tobacco spitting me inspected and signed off the final weld before it was set on the bottom of the gulf. 

Status- Standing by.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    SGH said:
    June 9, 2019. Final tie-in for TransCanada in the Gulf of Mexico. 42” pipe sitting in the Bear Clamp.

Sur de Texas-Tuxpan subsea mainline. 

And to think, at a cost of over 2 billion dollars little ole tobacco spitting me inspected and signed off the final weld before it was set on the bottom of the gulf. 
    That's awesome @SGH

We were part of it but I'm not in the picture but was spitting tobacco onshore
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @SGH - that's why you can shop for and buy your Caribbean island-even without @RRP 's $$. 
    Great engineering right there.  What is the method/process for the final cert?
    Any pressure testing involved?
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH - that's why you can shop for and buy your Caribbean island-even without @RRP 's $$. 
    Great engineering right there.  What is the method/process for the final cert?
    I’m curious as well.  Guessing MPI on the weld or perhaps UT?
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Back to a statement made:  why are they measuring sphincters?    I’m clearly not a vet, I have suspicions but I won’t post them.   
  • SGH
    Options
    That's awesome @SGH

Where were you at brother? Tampico/Vera Cruz?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Every weld on the north line and south line was AUT’d. As well as pressure tested. The final tie-ins on each line was AUT’d (Automated Ultrasonic Tested). However for the final tie-ins NDE (AUT) was used in lieu of hydro. 
    With that said, the tie-ins were commodity tested. What that means is turn on the gas and monitor. Basically a in service pressure test. However not a hydro. 

Status- Standing by.

• TechsasJim
    Options
    SGH said:
    That's awesome @SGH

Where were you at brother? Tampico/Vera Cruz?
    Sorry man, I wasn’t clear enough.  We were part of the talks but “left on shore” meaning we weren’t awarded the work.   
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Now back to recognizing the GOAT 50 years on.  Big Red-aka Secretariat. 
    Check out his run at the Preakness to see what he was all about.  Made most of the field look like they were standing still with his move. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Sorry to side track your thread brother Cap. However I thought it was interesting we completed the pipeline on Big Reds anniversary.  

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH - all good as I think the achievement of Secretariat is quite significant not only in horse racing but at the time of the turmoil of this country.  There are not many on here who remember those years but for those of us who do, his run was a great and worthy reprieve from all the challenges.
    BTW- give the 1973 Preakness a look-the run he made in that race made the field look like they were standing still.  GOAT defined!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    SGH said:
    lousubcap said:
    Every weld on the north line and south line was AUT’d. As well as pressure tested. The final tie-ins on each line was AUT’d (Automated Ultrasonic Tested). However for the final tie-ins NDE (AUT) was used in lieu of hydro. 
    With that said, the tie-ins were commodity tested. What that means is turn on the gas and monitor. Basically a in service pressure test. However not a hydro. 
    Scottie...I had a real belly laugh while reading your reply! I knew the common words and terms - such as weld, north south etc, but then I got a kick after thinking about all your usual replies etc TRYING to IMPLY that you are such a "simpleton"!!!! What a fridgenn joke!

NOW - go enjoy all the ka-zillion$ that you earned doing your very CRITICAL and specialized job! I know damn good and well that they paid you more than any "buck two fifty an hour"!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.