Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What’s Up With Ooni?

Options
13»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I could get a mini max with a couple of accessories for that.
    Don’t do it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    It arrives next Friday. Should know then if it was worth it. 

D@mn, you weren’t kidding. Sorry to be the one to cost you $1k, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts after it gets some use.  
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    CTMike said:

D@mn, you weren’t kidding. Sorry to be the one to cost you $1k, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts after it gets some use.  

Ive been planning on buying it for weeks now.  The internet figured out what it was a while ago, just been waiting for it to drop.  I love using my dome to make pizza, but sometimes I need to make 10 pizzas and not take 2 hours to do it.  My family hasn't really got the affinity to make the pizzas yet, so I tend to go solo affair.  having the oven inside right next to the prepping area should allow me to make them quicker when I want to.  
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:

Ive been planning on buying it for weeks now.  The internet figured out what it was a while ago, just been waiting for it to drop.  I love using my dome to make pizza, but sometimes I need to make 10 pizzas and not take 2 hours to do it.  My family hasn't really got the affinity to make the pizzas yet, so I tend to go solo affair.  having the oven inside right next to the prepping area should allow me to make them quicker when I want to.  
    Sounds like you should go all in and build a WFO 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    Well this is underwhelming.  If I'm dedicating counter space to an electric pizza oven then I'm going all out, for less. 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-dpo-18-s-single-deck-countertop-pizza-oven-1700w-120v/177DPO18S.html

This small countertop oven is great for cooking pizzas up to 18" in diameter! Since this unit only has one deck, it is ideal for establishments that need to keep up with the high demand for a couple of key menu items. An incredible temperature range of 150 to 840 degrees Fahrenheit guarantees the versatility you need to create a wide selection of menu items in a small footprint. For the best performance and even cooking, this oven is recommended for thin-crust pizzas cooked at 550 degrees for 6-8 minutes. This method ensures that pizzas are fully cooked with even leoparding on the crust.

Cheers,
    HeavyG - Ooni Volt shill
    P.S. - I get phat commissions on every Ooni Volt sold to forum members  (which means I'll earn approximately $1,000,000.00 from this crowd).  :)

FTFY

Have you seen the way these guys spend money?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Thanks for taking one for the team…
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Saved a butt load

Jacksonville FL
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

Sounds like you should go all in and build a WFO 
    I’ve thought a lot about it. Planned it many times. We’re not in our final home and will be leaving in a few years when our youngest graduates from high school. The dome works really really well for now. But agreed, the WFO will happen. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Thanks for taking one for the team…
    I will take it apart and add more insulation. 😜
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Good Housekeeping is almost lifting me on to the fence and pushing me over it with this headline. Great use of the English language.  "Buy" is probably there on purpose.  I'm sure AI is to blame?  My son just showed me how AI can design a logo for you and put commercials (social media video ads) together for you with very little user/customer input.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    This website should come with a 12 step program.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • CTMike
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    No one would ever get past the first step: something about admitting you have a problem.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Langner91 said:
    No one would ever get past the first step: something about admitting you have a problem.
    Are there denial or blame steps?  Because those feel pretty accurate.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dangit, @Botch - why did you show that picture?  Now I have to re-do the stairway in our house...
  • CTMike
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Dangit, @Botch - why did you show that picture?  Now I have to re-do the stairway in our house...
    Make sure you do it right and put two temperature and humidity controlled coolers that the drawers slide in to so that your reds and whites are stored in the proper conditions. 

All kidding aside, that is pretty cool.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Ill take my Blackstone pizza oven ( the OG one) over this all day long. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

Ellie likes it so I like it too.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    She made a darn good looking pie. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Ellie likes it so I like it too.

Can’t wait to see all the pics!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    My first impression after making 8 pizzas today inside in the kitchen. That was the best part was having the assembly line all indoors where it’s climate controlled. Not many pics but here are a few

My style is NY style. As such I was aiming in the 650-700 stone temp. The first few pies went really well. Then I made a mistake my dome has made me forget about learning already, stone recovery. The second two undercarriages were what I call “blonde” and lacking the slight crispness I like. So I had to tinker with wait time between pies and alternating the lower and upper elements. I finally found some success in running the lower element full blast after removing a pizza, and then going full blast on the upper element after launching the pizza. Also I needed to leave a few minutes between pizzas. I may toy with keeping the temp higher and hopefully the recovery will be minimized. Just like any oven it has its quirks so this was a very good first use. 

Don’t worry, I will throw that manual away without reading it. 
    Well, the photos don’t lie. Pies look as good as outdoor pies. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Amazing looking crust. No matter what was used to make it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    My first impression after making 8 pizzas today inside in the kitchen. That was the best part was having the assembly line all indoors where it’s climate controlled. Not many pics but here are a few

My style is NY style. As such I was aiming in the 650-700 stone temp. The first few pies went really well. Then I made a mistake my dome has made me forget about learning already, stone recovery. The second two undercarriages were what I call “blonde” and lacking the slight crispness I like. So I had to tinker with wait time between pies and alternating the lower and upper elements. I finally found some success in running the lower element full blast after removing a pizza, and then going full blast on the upper element after launching the pizza. Also I needed to leave a few minutes between pizzas. I may toy with keeping the temp higher and hopefully the recovery will be minimized. Just like any oven it has its quirks so this was a very good first use. 

Is it noticeably easier to keep temp control and balance in regards to crust and toppings using your Dome?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Is it noticeably easier to keep temp control and balance in regards to crust and toppings using your Dome?
    Very much so. I load a log into the dome, set the dome gas to low, and never touch it again once it comes up to temp. The log and the gas together keep it pretty perfect for my liking. My wife said the dome makes better pizza. While initially I will agree, having 9/10’s the pizza with much less hassle (inside is just more convenient) is worth it for some occasions.