Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Bowl cooks/recipes

Options
The big game is approaching quickly. What are you planning on cooking and please share recipes; I can't decide what I want to prepare.

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Likely a butt and stuffed jalapeños and maybe another protein.   Not bc it’s SB weekend, rather bc it’s Sunday.   50/50 on watching the game not a big NFL fan
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Pork butt and several racks of St. Louis ribs to take to a buddy's house to watch the game since Fox and Direct TV aren't play well with each other at the moment.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    I don't really have a favorite NFL team, but I'm excited about the matchup and I think it will be a very entertaining game.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    That looks fantastic! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Slumming it.  Wings and guac with chips.  Only time of the year I do the guac deal.  
    Hoping for great commercials (although they have been going downhill) but will highlight those Monday.
    Don't care for either team but care even less for KC.  It will be on but unless it is close I will only give it casual interest.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wish I took a pic of the finished Jambalaya.  Oh well. 
    There’s a Super Bowl? Where’s Brady?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    SWMBO Jr shared this with me.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Is she doing the halftime show?   

Fun fact, back when it was in Houston maybe 6-7yrs back, Lady Gaga was the halftime show and my daughter was asked (and accepted) to be one of her dancers.   Man time flies
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    We’ll be doing deep dish pizzas. Always an easy cook that works with the SB and is a crowd pleaser…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    going to be hard shell tacos, maybe chicken and refried beans
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 368
    Options
    Here's an easy dip. Make it at least a day ahead.

1 cup mayonnaise
    3/4 cup Parmesan, the good stuff
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    Mix together at least one day ahead since it'll take overnight for the flavors to become even. If there's insufficient garlic, add a half to a whole clove more, also crushed. Let rest overnight for the flavors to develop.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Pork Butt.

Thinking or making it a Mex or Latin flavor so suggestions welcome.

Born in Philly but not a huge fan of their fan base which includes many cousins.

Go Chefs!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Easiest popper recipe ever, I got from @texaswig s son from Brisket Camp, no cooking , just cream cheese and Takis , we use a flavored cream cheese 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @dmchicago - I vote for Lechon Asado, Cuban pulled pork.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Pork Butt.

Thinking or making it a Mex or Latin flavor so suggestions welcome.

Born in Philly but not a huge fan of their fan base which includes many cousins.

Go Chefs!

this is pretty good, needs more lime juice in the mojo and extra limes when serving. seems extreme but you can double the garlic. use blood orange if you can find them, been awhile since ive seen them on the shelves

Pork, Butt, Lechon Asado, Mojo, WDAN, Cuban

As I mentioned during the December holidays, I did a low 'n slow pork butt called Lechon Asado for New Years' Eve. Oh yeah, baby! If you are looking for yet another excuse to do L&S pork butt, but want it different than traditional Carolina pull, try this! My guests loved it and I actually liked it too (I'm my own worst critic).While this is a Cuban Christmas Eve roast-a-whole-pig thing, I approximated it by doing a 9.5 lb pork butt on the egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade (do it for 24 hrs)
    12-15 Cloves as many as you're willing to mince) cloves garlic
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    2 tsp cumin (ground)
    2 tsp oregano (dried)
    1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs olive oil
    It would be best if you can do this in a food processor and get it to turn out like a thick salad dressing...I was lazy and just hand-blended it all in a bowl...but it seemed to work just fine.
    After 12- 24 hrs of marinating, egg the pig indirectly at a dome temp of 250-ish until meat internal temp is 200 -- just like you're doing a pull. My 9.5 lb butt needed a little over 20 hrs. I used some peach wood in the lump intead of doing my normal hic
    The meat had a decidedly different flavor than the normal fair and was further differentiated by the Mojo sauce:
    MOJO SAUCE
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)

Procedure:
    1 Simmer all this in a sauce pan for about 20 minutes or so. Serve as a side dip for the pork.
    2 Embellishments:
    3 The meat is different than traditional pull, but not overwhelmingly so. The mojo does it right, but as someone mentioned when I first posted my intention of doing this cook, traditional Carolina vinegar sauce would be absolutely outstanding with this meat (refer to legendary Elder Ward documentation).
    4 If you're looking for a different kind of pull, try this! The Cuban thing was a smash hit at my Anglo house. Black beans and rice were a perfect complement, not to mention the music!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: WDAN

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great minds think alike...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Either a whole chicken or a pile of wings, Peruvian style with the vinegar based marinade and the green sauce.  Lots of the green sauce.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Probably chicken since I bought a bottle of Alabama White Sauce.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I may add another dish but our duck hunting crew is coming to the house for our annual duckfeast Sunday during the game. Right now the menu is:
    Appetizers:
    Grilled duck breast with apple bourbon sauce
    Duck egg rolls & Thai chili sauce
    Pigs in a blanket
    Entrees:
    Duck & sausage gumbo
    Duck camp fajitas
    Peanut Butter & Jelly samiches for the kids

Probably too many recipes to post at once but I'm happy to share any of them.
    LBGE
    AL
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Might do carnitas ala @Ozzie_Isaac.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I may add another dish but our duck hunting crew is coming to the house for our annual duckfeast Sunday during the game. Right now the menu is:
    Appetizers:
    Grilled duck breast with apple bourbon sauce
    Duck egg rolls & Thai chili sauce
    Pigs in a blanket
    Entrees:
    Duck & sausage gumbo
    Duck camp fajitas
    Peanut Butter & Jelly samiches for the kids

Probably too many recipes to post at once but I'm happy to share any of them.
    I’m sensing a theme here…. <ducks>
    Options
    @lkapigian those are pretty good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @lkapigian those are pretty good. 
    Credit to your son, they are in our Events regular rotation, people to pick them up and stare at them first though LoL 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I'll be throwing together a pot of brisket chili.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Wings were 25% off normal (inflated new-normal) pricing this week, so I bought five pounds.  $14 worth of wings will be going on the grill this Sunday if I can find a hot wing rub.  I think I am going to give the Sucklebusters brand a go.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Langner91 We picked up a 40 lb case from a local grocery store 2 weeks ago for $.96 lb.  That’s the cheapest I have seen them since before Covid.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    That's a GREAT price!  I can remember when they were that price.  When I found them for $2.80 a pound I was excited.  Finding them for a buck or less would have caused me to make the same decision you made!

I am trying to decide what to make with wings.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited February 2023
    Options
    If I can find some time between the rest of the dishes, I am looking at trying these. https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/smoked-shotgun-shells?_pos=1&_sid=2384f3986&_ss=r

LBGE
    AL