Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

with 2022 to soon pass what are you making tomorrow? Egging or not?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
I have had a tradition for many MANY years of fixing us an Eggs Benedict and champagne brunch and then a pot of our favorite chili for our supper. 

How about you?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I was gifted a sous vide container this Christmas. I'm currently looking for something to cook in it tomorrow. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Pork tenderloin, cabbage, and black eyed peas.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Corned beef and cabbage. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I was gifted a sous vide container this Christmas. I'm currently looking for something to cook in it tomorrow. 
    COOL! Lid? No Lid? What meat do you have in mind? Need some help?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I don't know what I'm making, but I DO know what I'm not making!  No more reheated turkey noodle soup nor au gratin spuds, still left over from a couple days after Xmas.  I'm done with that.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Botch said:
    I don't know what I'm making, but I DO know what I'm not making!  No more reheated turkey noodle soup nor au gratin spuds, still left over from a couple days after Xmas.  I'm done with that.  
    I threw the rest of my spuds (Carey’s spuds) out today
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Pulled pork and mac and cheese.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Babybacks, cole slaw, black eyes and cornbread muffins
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Scallops (new year tradition), shrimp and leftovers of whatever is in the fridge.

Happy New Year!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho said:
    COOL! Lid? No Lid? What meat do you have in mind? Need some help?

I'm all ears if you have any suggestions @RRP

I didn't plan this out very well as I'd imagine most stores will be closed this afternoon. I do have some frozen leftover brisket. I might start from there. I have some brioche hamburger buns leftover from chicken sandwiches we made the other day. So I'm thinking chopped brisket sandwiches. I really need to find some real recipes for the sous vide as it gets used 98% of the time for only reheating proteins. 

I ended up buying a couple Coleman Party Stackers on the cheap. I used a hole saw and cut into the cooler top to fit the sous vide. 

The cooler has worked great the past couple years but the downfall is that it takes too much time for all that water to heat up to temp. Especially with smaller cooks. So I asked for a cheap sous vide container that has a top for Christmas. My sister was kind enough to gift me one. 

So I'm itching to see how it well it works but I haven't had any real good excuse to give it a go. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @WeberWho - perfect rig for trying the chocolate pots if you haven’t given those a go.  I’d also suggest Anova’s recipe for garlic rosemary mashed potatoes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    Options
    @WeberWho - perfect rig for trying the chocolate pots if you haven’t given those a go.  I’d also suggest Anova’s recipe for garlic rosemary mashed potatoes.
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina Your chocolate pots have been on the want to do list forever. I need to give that a go. I remember someone mentioning the rosemary mashed potatoes now that you mentioned it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina Your chocolate pots have been on the want to do list forever. I need to give that a go. I remember someone mentioning the rosemary mashed potatoes now that you mentioned it. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Those are just both cooks that require a high temperature, which can be a challenge to reach without a proper container and lid.  

The other thing I’d suggest when you get a chance to source them are 72-hr short ribs:   

https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/72-hour-braised-short-ribs/

I just like those for the novelty of cooking something for 3 days!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Black eyed peas and hog jowl in cast iron. Collards with pork fo flavor with a cast iron skillet of corn bread. 
    Bob

Cooking on the coast
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    48 hr corn beef is a favorite of mine @WeberWho
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Egret's double smoked ham.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    48 hr corn beef is a favorite of mine @Weber

Hey thanks! @alaskanassasin

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited January 2023
    Options

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks great @lousubcap !
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lousubcap

Were I to pursue this daunting cook, I am not sure which part I would prefer - the ceremony in operation of the SM or the results, assuming I didn’t botch them. Can’t rely on luck for that execution! Goodness at play. 
  • RRP
    edited January 2023
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Egret's double smoked ham.
    The Double Smoked ham was Dave Spence aka DR Chicken’s recipe and claim to fame. Egret’s ham is the one one injected with maple syrup and then coated with a syrup and bourbon glaze.so which one did you mean? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - You have produced far more elaborate and skilled cooks across a wide and challenging landscape than the one above.

Here is a link to a great primer that will yield solid results every time:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm 
    And that thread is focused on a BGE-I just wanted to take on the challenge of messing about with the SM rig (like the brisket cook).  However, I have to admit the near continuous care and messing with the fire is quite enjoyable.  (I'm sure I will get past that soon.)

BTW- @SciAggie offered the true key to knowing when the cook was finished-run fork tines across the bottom of the pan-when you get the sticking resistance you are there.  That is money right there.
    2023-time to give it a go.
    Thanks for comment.
    Happy New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @westernbbq - glad you surfaced and with a great looking brisket.  Nailed it with the bark and ring as well.  Great eats were had by all.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BlG_GREEN_DAVE
    Options
    I am hoping to make a Jess Omelette

It is lightly runny, and a little salty. Smells like bleach and almonds she says. But sure don’t taste like it