Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Southwest Airline Meltdown

Options
Pretty good explainer here:

https://www.seat31b.com/2022/12/the-great-southwest-meltdown-of-2022/

Glad I’m not traveling this holiday season, but I know more than a few people who got screwed by SW airlines, as I’m sure many of you do too.  One couple ended up just renting a car in Milwaukee to drive back home to NC. That is a long ass drive my friends.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I used to like Southwest.  Not anymore.
    Very Interesting. If this business model is common knowledge, then surely red flags should have been raised by Pete Buttigeg prior to the big Airline bailout and not now. He is now asking for an investigation as to what went wrong. A special committee will be set up which will cost millions 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have heard complaints about SouthWest for years. Since the last time that I flew was 2002 I have no personal knowledge. But wouldn’t picking another provider be something to consider.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

No doubt this is a pretty epic meltdown for Southwest but they'll sort it out and I'd still fly with them if the route/timing/price is right.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very Interesting. If this business model is common knowledge, then surely red flags should have been raised by Pete Buttigeg prior to the big Airline bailout and not now. He is now asking for an investigation as to what went wrong. A special committee will be set up which will cost millions 
    Not sure I follow, John.  The airline bailouts were in 2020.  Mayor Pete wasn't secretary of Transportation at the time.  

The reality is that there's not a whole lot protecting passengers in the US from airlines screwing them over.  We'd need federal legislation for that, and, well... don't hold your breath.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Yep.  We got "stuck" with our son for 3 more days.

I've always preferred Southwest to any other airline - for a lot of reasons.  Less expensive, easier to book online, no change fees, easier to use rewards program, once a got Alist status I was able to get exit row seats for 80+% of flights, etc.

With that said, I'm a little anxious about the fact that we have flights planned with them on 4 occasions in January beginning on the 6th...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Foghorn - sorry to hear that.  Did you guys eventually catch a flight, or did you end up renting a car to get back home?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I should have been more clear.  We are at home.  Our son flew in from Denver and was supposed to fly back there on Monday on Southwest.  Southwest rebooked him for Saturday night (New Year's Eve) but he has to get back before that so we got him on a United flight for tomorrow (Thursday) at some considerable expense - but only about $100 more than a rental car would have cost and he doesn't have to drive 14 hours...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I should have been more clear.  We are at home.  Our son flew in from Denver and was supposed to fly back there on Monday on Southwest.  Southwest rebooked him for Saturday night (New Year's Eve) but he has to get back before that so we got him on a United flight for tomorrow (Thursday) at some considerable expense - but only about $100 more than a rental car would have cost and he doesn't have to drive 14 hours...
    Ah, thanks Dan.  I bet all things considered you weren't too disappointed to have him home for a couple of extra days.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i think i saw my fly fishing rod from april of 2002, i knew they were still looking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I sort of understand passengers arriving with some luggage not making it. 
    When you have a cancelled flight, it baffles me how luggage can make it but not passengers.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I was able to put three family members on two different southwest flights today and they both got to where they were going already without incident.  They all arrived pre Christmas as well without incident.  I think we got really lucky this year with timing.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    HeavyG said:

been awhile since i took flights but when they used to bump passengers, chicago could get you a seat in less than a minute. if they couldnt get me from miami to boston, chicago stop was easy peasy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    I sort of understand passengers arriving with some luggage not making it. 
    When you have a cancelled flight, it baffles me how luggage can make it but not passengers.
    missed connections 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Saw a similar scene (and more stranded luggage) at the Cincy airport one Xmas AM.  Pretty heavy weather hit the NE, with all the attendant hic-cups.  Had to drive to the airport for passenger pickup as there was no chance of getting to L'ville given already a day late.  I-71 was extremely empty and not in the best shape but mission accomplished.
    I coulda loaded up as many bags as I wanted.  No security around the overrun claim area.  This was Delta when Cincy was rolling as their hub.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Ah, thanks Dan.  I bet all things considered you weren't too disappointed to have him home for a couple of extra days.
    Nope.

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Southwest can get me to Denver and back on Monday the 9th for $128 rt. 

I need to replenish my supplies so…
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:

I need to replenish my supplies so…
    just go to the CBD store close to you and grab some DELTA-8. It’s awesome and 100% legal. Fair warning, if the person helping you asks what your tolerance level is, say ‘medium”. We got on the wrong side of the stronger ones and it was quite a ride. For like 10 hours. They are different than delta9 gummies as they can put as much in there as they want. They have low/med/high doses. The high strength was like 3-4 Denver gummies. Way too much for me. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I need more than gummies. 

And I’ve got a friend that owns the new SunMed store in Lakeway. He has provided me with several of his products that are excellent. 

However, the Mrs. Has a favorite gummy made by Wyld that pays dividends iykwim. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I need more than gummies. 

And I’ve got a friend that owns the new SunMed store in Lakeway. He has provided me with several of his products that are excellent. 

However, the Mrs. Has a favorite gummy made by Wyld that pays dividends iykwim. 
    I totally get what you mean lol. We love those wild gummies as well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    So *that’s* why the flights to Colorado are always full!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Hope you're keeping an eye on it.  Their scheduling fustercluck should be sorted out by then; their solvency, not so sure.   :|  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dmchicago
    Options
    Southwest ain’t going bankrupt. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    Options
    dmchicago said:

And of all the people caught in this debacle and are angry and saying they'll never fly SouthWest again - 99.99% of them will fly SouthWest again.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    The Southwest model is targeted to family trips and point to point (if lucky enough) business travelers.  As mentioned they operate with a different set of metrics and back-end support systems.  That deal caused the epic failures over the past week.  But we all gravitate back to our norm over time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I've had flights canceled, gotten stranded and lost luggage on at least 5 different airlines.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    dmchicago said:

And of all the people caught in this debacle and are angry and saying they'll never fly SouthWest again - 99.99% of them will fly SouthWest again.
    Most likely correct, and one of the primary reasons the airline can continue to ignore its systemic problems.  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    How different is this from the Blue Bell ice cream or Chipotle contamination issues?

I actually don't remember anybody swearing off of Blue Bell.  Everybody just wanted to see it back in the stores so they could buy some more.  And Chipotle didn't go bankrupt...

San Antonio, TX