Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Steaks

Options
Little over 4 pounds. Dried in the fridge for a week. It lost 1/4 pound of water weight. I decided to cut it in half as I was running late today getting it started. I didn’t trim anything off the outside. Was not expecting much as this was on sale for $3.77 a pound. Turned out really good and I was surprised that it did have a nice earthy taste especially around the cap edge. Still have 1 more roast at 4 1/2 pounds in fridge. Will let it go another 2 weeks. The bottom of the salted pan was covered in water after only 1 week. I dumped it, washed the pan and added more salt when I put it back into the fridge.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yeah, that looks good.
    NOLA
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That has to be about the best $4 a pound you can spend right there. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whatever you did, that last pic looks like it worked!

Did you season or salt the roast while it dried?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Lookin good going in and great coming out.  Way to enjoy your find.
    Nailed that cook as I'm sure you will the follow on.  
    Better to be lucky than good any day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That has to be about the best $4 a pound you can spend right there. Nice work.
    Thank you. Agree, this was a pretty good cut for select. It looks better than the one that is still drying in the fridge.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Wow, that looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    At $3.77/lb I'm surprised you didn't get a truckload of them - like you did when you found Russian charcoal on sale.   ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well Darian I have to tip my hat to you.  I really didn’t think one would get much out of just a week of dry aging, but you sure proved me wrong.  Will be interested to see how the rest of this plays out for you.  Cheers!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    At $3.77/lb I'm surprised you didn't get a truckload of them - like you did when you found Russian charcoal on sale.   ;)
    Don't knock it. That stuff is awesome... and was 27 cents/pound! Being "center cut" made all the difference! Plus, the boxes are great for building forts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wooderson
    Options
    Totally would smash this meal. Get in ma belly!!!!!!!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    Don't knock it. That stuff is awesome... and was 27 cents/pound! Being "center cut" made all the difference! Plus, the boxes are great for building forts. 
    I'm not knocking it.  I got a couple dozen boxes of it myself.  It was great - and cheap!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Well Darian I have to tip my hat to you.  I really didn’t think one would get much out of just a week of dry aging, but you sure proved me wrong.  Will be interested to see how the rest of this plays out for you.  Cheers!
    I know it didn’t compare to 30 or 60 day age with flavor or tenderness. But on this smaller 4 1/2 pound roast it did pull out some unneeded water weight and really dried the outer fat layer so it cooked up nice. Probably would have slightly better results if I did not have 2 going at the same time in my little fridge.
    Happy Holidays and Safe New Years. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Heritage
    Options
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Can you clarify for me.. what’s with the salt pan in the fridge? I read what you posted about losing the water weight, just wanted to know how much difference it makes to just slicing it and putting on the grill.
    Now I’m confusing myself trying to clarify my question. 
  • Photo Egg
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Can you clarify for me.. what’s with the salt pan in the fridge? I read what you posted about losing the water weight, just wanted to know how much difference it makes to just slicing it and putting on the grill.
    Rock Salt is commonly used below the raised rack to discourage any growth in the drip pan. The longer you age/dry the more moisture is removed. I doubt 1 week would do much for a full primal cut except dry the outer fat cap. But even that really helps in my opinion. Give a couple smaller ones a try at 1 week and 3 weeks and see what you think. It’s all subjective.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Rock Salt is commonly used below the raised rack to discourage any growth in the drip pan. The longer you age/dry the more moisture is removed. I doubt 1 week would do much for a full primal cut except dry the outer fat cap. But even that really helps in my opinion. Give a couple smaller ones a try at 1 week and 3 weeks and see what you think. It’s all subjective.
    Do you use this on regular steaks, like a ribeye or porterhouse , or just on the bigger cuts?
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Well done.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Excellent, looks amazing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.