Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chief Twit

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

I'm not sure things are quite going the way some people thought they would...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm not sure things are quite going the way some people thought they would...
    Oh, no.  Things are going exactly as everyone thought.  Total cluster fvck.  Just like everything else Elon gets involved in.  He rules by threats and intimidation.  Young engineers and people put up with it because they want to be involved in something world changing: Tesla & SpaceX.  His style works well there becaue he doesn't follow rules and just pushes ahead, consequences be damned.  You kind of need that when going up against established players and governments.

Twitter is not that.  His style will crash and burn.  Plenty of other social platforms.

Look at Elons history as CEO for easily replicatable things (payment processors) He has been CEO of many successful companies, dispite him.  Historicaly he gets forced out, a competent if not flashy person (an adult) takes over and rights the ship.

Why do you think Elon took Twitter private and dissolved the board?  He has learned that if there are adults in the room he eventually gets booted.

We are about to watch $44billion get torched.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    tiktok will be the next news source for the left ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Is it as objective in reporting as twitter?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Legume said:
    Is it as objective in reporting as twitter?

its full of young unbiased reporting mixed with bouncing boobs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    So the blue check mark went up from $4.99 to $8 a month. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    It went from $0 to $20.  You used to get verified mark for free, had to pay for premium features.  Now to get verified you also need to be a premium member.

Premium was $4.99, Elon proposed $20, Stephem King said fvck you, you should pay me to be here.  Elon said $8?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    It went from $0 to $20.  You used to get verified mark for free, had to pay for premium features.  Now to get verified you also need to be a premium member.

Premium was $4.99, Elon proposed $20, Stephem King said fvck you, you should pay me to be here.  Elon said $8?

I don't know the first thing about Twitter but what I've read is that the blue check mark will be $8. The $20 fee was only a rumor. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'm guessing that Musk will be spitballing all sort of ideas to start bringing in more revenue.
    From what I read his purchase/loans were structured such that he has a billion dollar  annual interest payment. Twitter has never come anywhere close to that amount in annual profits. I'm not even sure it has ever even made any profits.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Not being a Twitter subscriber, I had no clue.

"Sen. CHRIS MURPHY (D-Conn.) would back a congressional investigation into Saudi Arabia’s stake in Twitter if a government review body doesn’t open a probe first.

Murphy placed himself at the middle of this firestorm on Halloween by tweeting that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or CFIUS , should start a probe. “We should be concerned that the Saudis, who have a clear interest in repressing political speech and impacting U.S. politics, are now the second-largest owner of a major social media platform.” Saudi’s Kingdom Holding Company has had a large share in the social media site since 2011 and chose to roll over its ownership after ELON MUSK took over.

There’s widespread concern in Washington, mainly among Democrats, about what Riyadh can do with unfettered access to Twitter. Earlier this month, news broke of the Saudis sentencing a U.S. citizen to 16 years in prison for his tweets. And today the Associated Press reported that Riyadh surveils Saudis living or studying in the United States , including members of the royal family.

That’s all the more troubling after the Washington Post Tuesday revealed foreign investors could access “confidential information about Twitter’s finances — and potentially its users — under the terms of Elon Musk’s deal to acquire the social media site.”

Murphy pointed to Saudi Prince ALWALEED BIN TALAL’s initial criticism of Musk’s $44 billion offer back in April, implying he was offering too low of a price. Yet in May, Alwaleed reversed course after tweeting that he spoke with his “new” friend Musk. Murphy said this suggested that “there was a deal cut.”

“My belief is that the Saudis stay in because they've got a political agenda, and that political agenda is likely not to increase political speech on Twitter's platform,” Murphy told NatSec Daily in a Wednesday interview. “They believe they can use their influence inside Twitter to either repress speech that they don't like or potentially track their enemies.”

The close administration ally let the White House know he’d already appealed to CFIUS to start an investigation. But if the Treasury-led body doesn’t start a review, Murphy said he’d be “interested” in working with Sen. BOB MENENDEZ (D-N.J.), chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, to conduct a probe on the Hill.

Furthermore, Murphy said it “makes sense for Congress to look at broader legislation more tightly regulating foreign ownership of social media platforms. That would be my interest, not specific Twitter legislation.”

NatSec Daily asked why Murphy was so passionate about this, despite his many years as a critic of Saudi Arabia. It’s because he doesn’t want Twitter to turn into a “hellscape” that permits “a free for all of foreign-funded propaganda,” he said, echoing Musk’s own words.

Murphy for the moment has no plans to quit Twitter, a site he uses often to make political points and reach out to constituents (or occasionally lament about the sorry state of the Red Sox). What he’ll do before reaching such a decision is “track how serious [Musk] is about protecting users’ information,” Murphy said."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

I don't know the first thing about Twitter but what I've read is that the blue check mark will be $8. The $20 fee was only a rumor. 
    The blue check mark, which is an indication of a verified account, and used to show that an account really is said star, journalist, politician, etc has been free.

Twitter offered a premium account which included the verified aspect, but also other premium features such as the ability to edit your past tweets.  This cost $4.99/month.

Musk popped on twitter and said he was requiring the premium subscription as a requirement for the blue verified check mark and raising the fee from $4.99 to $20.  That came from Musk, he also was giving accounts 90 days to come into compliance.

He told his employees to implement the plan by Nov 7th or they were fired.

Stephen King told Musk to **** off and he wasn't paying.

Musk came back and said how about $8 instead of $20?  Because they need to pay bills and advertising wasn't cutting it.

This had all played out real time on twitter.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have to admit that this made me laugh:

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Still not interested in twitter or Facebook. Plenty of amusement with a couple of electric car forums and a barbecue forum.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Turns out OnlyFans is trying to pivot, and cooking is one of their avenues.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I logged on to Twitter for the first time in years.  It is hilarious now.  Like 4chan in the early days.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Still not interested in twitter or Facebook. Plenty of amusement with a couple of electric car forums and a barbecue forum.
    Facebook is useful for joining groups of people with common interests.  I’m in some pizza making groups there and have learned a lot.  

Twitter is useful for understanding what’s happening right now, in real time, in whatever domain you want - sports, bbq, EVs, etc.  The moves Musk makes could very well change that, but we’ll see. I kind of doubt it.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Depending on where you are in life and your profession, I get the almost requirement to be on bookface and twitter.  However, I have two sons (31 and 35 yo) who walked away from both 5-6 years ago and do not miss it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Depending on where you are in life and your profession, I get the almost requirement to be on bookface and twitter.  However, I have two sons (31 and 35 yo) who walked away from both 5-6 years ago and do not miss it.  FWIW-
    Not a requirement at all.  You can get this info from many other places.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Unfortunately, FB is the main place local rodeos and shows advertise.  It is also useful for buying/selling horses.  If not for horses, I would be gone long ago.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I will say it again. I once went to a continuing education seminar. One of the lectures that I attended was titled “Fired By Facebook “ it was basically a long series of examples of people who lost their jobs due to something that they posted on Facebook or something that someone posted on their page. But he also mentioned promotions that were supposed to be in the bank until they weren’t and the same for new jobs that suddenly were no longer available. I once warned a nephew about the picture his wife posted of him “sick”at home. A few months later he was looking for a job.

Then there are the relatives that I don’t want to know my business. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thus the leader with "almost."  JohnInCarolina said:
    lousubcap said:
    Not a requirement at all.  You can get this info from many other places.  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Facebook is useful for joining groups of people with common interests.  I’m in some pizza making groups there and have learned a lot.  
    As the Cap'n mentioned above, if you've lived in many places with different interests, Farcebook is very worth it.  Where it becomes interesting is when I make a sometimes innocuous post, and my evangelical/MAGAt family and Air Force contacts respond one way, and my musician/college prof libtard contacts respond another way, and all of the sudden I have to sneak out of the post because of the firefight I just caused.  It is both embarrassing, and very enlightening.  It shows me how much I've changed, over the years and thru experiences.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I made, what I thought was a funny joke to/about my SiL.  Well, it lead to me deleting and blocking a ton of people, and dropping off FB for a month or so.  She had a subset of friends who went Death Con 3, as Kanye says, on my a$$.  Her mom still brings it up and blames the terrible family dynamic on that one single post.

By the way, my SiL and I get along really well and hang out all the time.  It is my MiL that is a loon and won't drop it.  All the people she hated more than me have died, so now I am #1 on her list.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Half seems like a lot of people.  But perhaps this makes sense given that Musk bought Twitter for roughly twice what it was valued at.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I made, what I thought was a funny joke to/about my SiL.  Well, it lead to me deleting and blocking a ton of people, and dropping off FB for a month or so.  She had a subset of friends who went Death Con 3, as Kanye says, on my a$$.  Her mom still brings it up and blames the terrible family dynamic on that one single post.

By the way, my SiL and I get along really well and hang out all the time.  It is my MiL that is a loon and won't drop it.  All the people she hated more than me have died, so now I am #1 on her list.

Did the post include a homemade gif, maybe her holding a couple of steaks?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:

Did the post include a homemade gif, maybe her holding a couple of steaks?
    A guy makes one joke 🤣
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Half seems like a lot of people.  But perhaps this makes sense given that Musk bought Twitter for roughly twice what it was valued at.
    He did ask them to start working 80hr weeks, so the math adds up and he acknowledges their workforce was right sized for 40hr weeks.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk