Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picanha, Lomo al Trapo, Green Lightning Shrimp, Smoked Mac & Cheese, Veggies, etc.

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,835
edited October 2022 in EggHead Forum
Had a dinner for 25.  Cooked some picanha on my grandfather's old wheelbarrow that he used for a grill.  Did a lomo al trapo by wrapping a beef tenderloin I butchered from a 1/4 cow in a blue t-shirt I need to throw away.  Did green lightning shrimp which I have never done before, but I will definitely do it again as it was amazing (sorry no pics).  Smoked some mac and cheese which was amazing (again no pics) and had some great desserts and wine (also no pics).  The meal and the company were great - so much so that we fell way short on the photography side because we enjoyed ourselves so much.

https://food52.com/recipes/18568-steven-raichlen-s-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-grilled-in-cloth-lomo-al-trapo

https://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/green-lightning-shrimp/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It was epic. Happy birthday, fog and thanks for inviting us. The food was amazing, the company even better 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Whoa!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Options
    If you look closely, the lomo al trapo is wrapped up in the coals under the picanhas on skewers.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If you look closely, the lomo al trapo is wrapped up in the coals under the picanhas on skewers.
    How did it turn out?  I’ve been meaning to try it, if only because it’s so different.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    How did it turn out?  I’ve been meaning to try it, if only because it’s so different.
    It's the first pic.  It was perfect.

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    It's the first pic.  It was perfect.
    can confirm. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Hey Zues. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Nice!
    Always good to see a couple of forum favorite Steve Raichlen's recipes in play.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Walk off Grand Slam!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'll need to read through again, to let it all soak in. Sounds like quite the shindig!

And, happy birthday again. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    That is celebrating your birthday in exceptional style.  Impressive across the board.  Dang- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Everything looks amazing - please remember to invite me to your next birthday party. I’ll bring bourbon slushies. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I just realized that I forgot to mention - or get pics of - the appetizers that were as least as good as anything else.

My wife's homemade guacamole and a buddy's homemade bruschetta that he made by my special request as it is among the best bites of food I have ever eaten.  As we discussed which one might be better @The Cen-Tex Smoker rightfully commented something to the effect of - "They are like my children.  I love them both equally.  Don't make me choose." - which I thought was very apropos.  
    All true ha ha. It was awesome. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    Options

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    @Foghorn what makes the bruschetta so special? Or a recipe preferably 🙂 I love that stuff
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Elijah, I don't have the recipe in written form but I have seen him make it several times so here it is to the best of my memory.

He gets a baguette and slices it into "bruschetta" slices.  Then brushes it with a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, melted butter, and crushed garlic.  He puts them in the oven (at 350 I think) until they are golden brown.

While that is cooking he cuts campari tomotoes into little cubes.  He puts them in a bowl with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh garlic, and chopped red onions.

Here is the key.  He titrates the addition of the red onions to smell.  The person who taught him this taught him that not every onion is the same.  Some are stronger than others in their flavor.  So when adding onion it is important to add some and then smell and potentially sample the mixture until it gets to where the onion is present and really brings out the flavor of everything else - but doesn't overwhelm.  He gets this just right every time.

Then he puts this tomato/onion/garlic/olive oil/salt/pepper mixture on the perfectly toasted bread.  

The first time I had a bite of this I thought "this is up there with the best bites of food I've ever had."  And I grew up not liking tomatoes.  Then I learned to tolerate them.  But the first time I tasted this bruschetta it just brought out the flavor of the tomatoes with a hint of onion and garlic in a way that made me really learn to look forward to good tomatoes.  So maybe it is just a me thing.

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Interesting and right about red onions, but I never thought to titrate like that.

So no basil or vinegar?
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I'll give it a try. Thank you for the information 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Legume said:
    Interesting and right about red onions, but I never thought to titrate like that.

So no basil or vinegar?
    I don't recall any of either.    

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Legume said:

So no basil or vinegar?
    I don't recall any of either.    
    Definitely basil. Possibly lime for the acid 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    That all looks amazing!  Happy Birthday, and those wheelbarrow pics are up there with best of the year.  I love how simple cooking with fire can be, especially because we (I) tend to really over complicate things.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That all looks amazing!  Happy Birthday, and those wheelbarrow pics are up there with best of the year.  I love how simple cooking with fire can be, especially because we (I) tend to really over complicate things.
    So true. Should I wrap? Should I add beef tallow? Should I season the night before? Make a 13 ingredient rub? 

How about light a wheel barrow on fire, wrap a beef tenderloin in a t-shirt and drop in the coals then cook picanña on sticks over that? All salt and pepper only I believe. It was all so good 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments.

Was a little more than salt and pepper - but just a little.

And, from the source, the bruschetta did have basil, but no acid.

San Antonio, TX