Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoker tubes

Options
DWFII
DWFII Posts: 317
edited October 2022 in EggHead Forum
My family really likes cold smoked cheese. I bought one of those oval shaped tubes to use with pellets in the bottom of my egg. But it won't stay lit.
I get it going good but about an hour in it goes out.
Anyone else have this problem or better yet an answer of an alternative?
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Maybe just moist pellets, when I use my Amazn smoker, I make sure it’s lit like a good cigar , if you blow on the coal end it should turn right to flame … I stick some pellets in my dehydrator before I use them which is not often 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Never had much luck with those tubes & pellets.  Results always tasted like cheese in an ashtray!
  • DWFII
    Options
    Never had much luck with those tubes & pellets.  Results always tasted like cheese in an ashtray!

I'm sure you already know this but you have to let the cheese 'age' for at least a month and longer is better.

Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I don’t disagree with you. I think most pellets have a lot of junk filler wood in ratio to the cherry, apple or pecan that they claim is the flavor.
    Not letting the cheese rest for a few weeks in the fridge to mellow was the mistake on my first batch. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have an Amaze'n tube.  I stick a few pieces of lighter cube in with the pellets at different points as I fill it.  I just break off small pieces about three times the size of the pellets.  I light the one that is on the end of the tube and let it go.  As they burn, they hit another lighter piece and get it going again.

As stated, the cheese needs to mellow tightly wrapped in the fridge for a few weeks. I go 2 weeks at a minimum, and it gets better at 3 or 4 weeks.

Keep trying different cheeses and different pellets.  Find a buddy with a pellet pooper and see if you can borrow a baggy of pellets.  Or, you can buy some small packages on Amazon, but they are almost as expensive as the large bags.

I have always wanted to use my MiniMax as my smoke generator and a dryer vent tube to get the smoke into my large egg.  Then, I can use smoking wood instead of the pellets.

This batch was done 2 weeks ago.  I may have to have a few slices this weekend!

Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker has a good write up on pellets somewhere here
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DWFII
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I have an Amaze'n tube.  I stick a few pieces of lighter cube in with the pellets at different points as I fill it.  I just break off small pieces about three times the size of the pellets.  I light the one that is on the end of the tube and let it go.  As they burn, they hit another lighter piece and get it going again.

That's what I have--the Amazn(?)
    I like the idea of sticking small pieces of lighter cube in with the pellets but it worries me because I am not sure what causes lighter cubes to burn.
    It seems logical that the lighter pellets have paraffin or some such in them and I am cautious about off-flavours, esp. with cheese.

Instagram
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Langner91 said:

That's what I have--the Amazn(?)
    I like the idea of sticking small pieces of lighter cube in with the pellets but it worries me because I am not sure what causes lighter cubes to burn.
    It seems logical that the lighter pellets have paraffin or some such in them and I am cautious about off-flavours, esp. with cheese.

I treat it just like the lump. I don't use lighter cube, but I use a olive oil soaked paper towel cut in half and then rolled up like a doobie (or so I've heard). Then I stick one end into the pellets, with the other end exposed. Light the exposed end and wait until the pellets have lit and paper towel has burned off. Then I blow the flame out and the pellets have a nice smolder that is giving off smoke. Only then do I put the cheese on for 2-3 hours, rotating once or twice. Then put into food saver bags and into the fridge for about 3 weeks.

So I'm just saying you wouldn't put food over lump until you have clean smoke, I think the same principle applies here with the cheese.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker has a good write up on pellets somewhere here
    Found it HERE
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I started with a #5 can with some holes in the bottom and just used lump.  That was a PIA so I bought the 6" A-maz-n Smoker and pellets from Tom @ CGS.  Works way better.

I use a torch to light the one end and a full load lasts about an hour which is plenty of time.  *Edit*  Also I completely pull the KAB and all ash from the EGG and have the tube sitting on the egg base.  I also have the Woo set up in full indirect and felt line. *Edit

I vac seal the cheese and go 4-6 weeks and up to 6 months.  Living in CTX means only about 4 months of smoking time so I usually do it twice once in the beginning of "season" (now) and once towards the end.

English Sharp Cheddar from Costco is our favorite, close 2nd is blue cheese.  After that its all fine but Im going to try swiss this year.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As @Photo Egg mentioned above, most pellets are filler, flavored with cherry/hickory/apple/whatever. Some competition grade pellets are made of  of the wood they claim to be, everything else is usually "100% hardwood" or something like that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I don’t disagree with you. I think most pellets have a lot of junk filler wood in ratio to the cherry, apple or pecan that they claim is the flavor.
    Not letting the cheese rest for a few weeks in the fridge to mellow was the mistake on my first batch. 
    I've posted this before, but I will mention it again. There are different qualities of pellets on the market. At the premium end are the 100% named species pellets, like 100% Hickory. This is the kind I use in my pellet smoker. They are much better for flavor. I use and recommend the Lumber Jack brand of 100% pellets.
    Lumber Jack offers the regular blended pellets as well as 100%- be careful when selecting.

https://bbqpelletsonline.com/lumberjack-pellets/100-Hickory-Lumber-Jack-BBQ-Pellets-p367824147 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited October 2022
    Options
    When I had an amzn smoker (has since been lost in a move) I took CenTex’s suggestion and baked a bunch of the pellets on low heat in the oven for a while.  This really helped them stay lit vs how they were right out of the bag.  Funny enough, they were apple pellets but made the whole house smell like maple syrup when I baked them.
  • DWFII
    Options
    Would micro waving the pellets in a non-metallic container work? Anyone tried that?
    Instagram
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Would micro waving the pellets in a non-metallic container work? Anyone tried that?

That's what I do. Pour some into a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. They get surprisingly hot.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DWFII
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:

That's what I do. Pour some into a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup. They get surprisingly hot.

High? med? low? For how long?
    Instagram
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    DWFII said:
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:

I just ran full power (I think mine is 1200 watts) for a minute or two with a rest for a minute or two then ran again. YMMV.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DWFII
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:
    HeavyG said:
    DWFII said:

I just ran full power (I think mine is 1200 watts) for a minute or two with a rest for a minute or two then ran again. YMMV.

Thank you!
    Instagram
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I buy mine from Tom at CGS in smaller qtys
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/search?type=product&q=pellets*
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • wwinnc
    wwinnc Posts: 74
    Options
    This is why I enjoy this forum!! Folks willing to help one another and so much knowledge!  Thanks for the info, always nice to learn different ways and ideas to do things.
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!