Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-N-Smoker Tutorial

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've had good luck with the AMS but have noticed lots of people saying it goes out or they have to season the pellets in the oven to keep it lit. So here is how it's worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you the same way.

Step 1) fill it up with pellets and light it on fire. I only had my weed burner handy (It was a bit of overkill). A propane/MAP torch is preferred.

Once it gets going, I let it burn for 5-10 minutes. It looks like this:

After about 5 minutes it looked like this:

I usually have to blow it out at this point but this one went out at 5 min 38 seconds. As long as it's 2-3" in and has a good bed of coals going, I'm good with that:

If I have lump in the box, i push it toward the edges to expose air holes for flow. Then I put my small cast iron grid in the bed so there is no chance of igniting the lump:

Once it's in, I add my AR and oval stone and I have never had one go out. It smokes for about 12 hours.

Hope this helps. I did it all on my iPhone so I'm sure a the photos will be sideways or upside down. Hope you get the drift anyhow.

Bacon for breakfast tomorrow :).
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments