Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spectacular weather for cooking outside…

Options
Context: caliqueen organized a big event with some others (Durga Puja, which is a BFD for Bengali folks). 400+ attended. I was roped in to put up a food tent. 

Picked a couple of Kolkata street snacks, that I figured would go down well with the crowd. “Vegetable chops” are essentially croquettes, and can be made a bunch of different ways… banana flowers, potato, etc. We did beet and carrot this time. 

Called in my secret weapons (sis and BIL) to make this happen. 

On to the Hakka chow mein. Basically, stir fried noodles, and a popular Indian(ized) Chinese food item. You’ll find someone selling chow mein on almost every block in Kolkata. 

Used thin spaghetti for the noodles. Alkalinized ala Kenji with baked baking soda and kansui (lye water), to give the noodles some spring/chew. It’ll foam up like a mother when you add the pasta to the water. 

Veg and a couple of sauces added in. 

Our little shop :)

Made 130ish chops, and about 100 small orders of the chow mein. Sold out. Folks seemed to enjoy our wares, so that made it worthwhile. 

Not nearly at the level of many of the folks here who do big cooks on the regular, but I was beat. Had tons of fun though, so definitely signing up for next year! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That looks amazing!  No idea how you get the energy and the ideas for these amazing events.

This could make me more interested in learning how the Goddess smited the demon.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    So… you basically ran a “Kolkata Camp” and didn’t tell any of us about it until after it was all over?!?!?

Same weekend next year?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dude!  Leaving in the am for an Indian wedding celebration(they were supposed to get married the weekend the world shut down in March of 2020). Cannot wait to chow down. I can only hope the food will taste as good as yours looks. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Man o man, you bring back sweet memories for me. Time to google for veg chops recipe. btw, did you forget Kathi Rolls ;)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That looks amazing!  No idea how you get the energy and the ideas for these amazing events.

This could make me more interested in learning how the Goddess smited the demon.
    I was chopping veg and prepping all week. And, shockingly, I even scaled the recipes by weight! My sis almost punched me when I told her each chop had to be 65 g. 

Durga is one of the badasses, so her stories are fun. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Epic shirt by the way

• caliking
    Options
    Ha! I didn’t quite think of it like that. 

I’ll let you know when the 2023 dates are finalized. Expect to be put to work cooking :)

• caliking
    Options
    Dude!  Leaving in the am for an Indian wedding celebration(they were supposed to get married the weekend the world shut down in March of 2020). Cannot wait to chow down. I can only hope the food will taste as good as yours looks. 
    Oh man. Color me jealous. I dare you to not have a good time. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Amazing stuff!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    Options
    Man o man, you bring back sweet memories for me. Time to google for veg chops recipe. btw, did you forget Kathi Rolls ;)
     No nonveg allowed at the rented venue, otherwise my original plan was for kathi rolls, and maybe goat curry. 

I’ll post a link for the  chops recipe in a bit. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have been to a couple of Indian parties but never a wedding ceremony. My wife and the bride went to India alone back in 2019 to get their dresses and all of the decorations for the event. The two of them ( my wife is blonde and blue eyed) some how managed to pull it off. My kurta is dry cleaned and ready to go. Very much looking forward to it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have been to a couple of Indian parties but never a wedding ceremony. My wife and the bride went to India alone back in 2019 to get their dresses and all of the decorations for the event. The two of them ( my wife is blonde and blue eyed) some how managed to pull it off. My kurta is dry cleaned and ready to go. Very much looking forward to it. 
    Sounds like y'all are very close to the bride's family, which will make it even more fun and memorable. You are going to have a fabulous time!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Spectacular @caliking !!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Never cease to amaze and bring home incredible cooks.  Fantastic right there.
    And another nod to the T-shirt.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    Options
    @Canugghead
    https://www.bongeats.com/recipe/vegetable-chop

Double dipping/breading the chops made for a crunchier crust. We dipped in a cornstarch slurry, because the venue didn't allow eggs. Also, resting the breaded chops overnight in the fridge kept them from cracking when frying.

• Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks. Should be easier to coat than keema encased in mashed potato, still a 2-person job. Love the spice mix, have to work around the peanuts.
    canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    The shirt your brother in law is wearing is amazing 
  • caliking
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thanks. Should be easier to coat than keema encased in mashed potato, still a 2-person job. Love the spice mix, have to work around the peanuts.
    You won't miss much by leaving them out. They don't add much to the flavor IMO, but change up the texture a bit. Will still be good without them.

Do you add peas to your keema? Peas would also be good in these chops. 

Also, I think I added less sugar than the recipe calls for. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    You won't miss much by leaving them out. They don't add much to the flavor IMO, but change up the texture a bit. Will still be good without them.

Do you add peas to your keema? Peas would also be good in these chops. 

Also, I think I added less sugar than the recipe calls for. 
    Yes we add peas to keema, good idea. We usually reduce sugar, salt and fat in recipes, sometimes significantly.
    canuckland
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Looks amazing. I love the chow mein. Spent 10 days on the ground in Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2019, was the guest of a prominent family. The food their family chefs served was unbelievable. Your photos remind me of some of the dishes. I too will be searching for recipes now. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • caliking
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Looks amazing. I love the chow mein. Spent 10 days on the ground in Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2019, was the guest of a prominent family. The food their family chefs served was unbelievable. Your photos remind me of some of the dishes. I too will be searching for recipes now. 
    Bangladeshis are some of the best cooks on the planet. I'm yet to meet anyone from Bangladesh who didn't know how to throw down some good grub.

I like this website for Bangladeshi recipes (they have other recipes, too). 

https://www.banglarrannaghor.com/

Let me know if there's anything in particular you recall eating and liking, and I could maybe steer you to a recipe. Or, translate, since some of the videos online are narrated in Bangla/Bengali. 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'll ask my host for the names of the dishes.

I've been invited back Spring of 2023. I hope it works out for lots of reasons. The family is amazing. The country is amazing. The culture is amazing. And the flights...I had my own "room" with a door that closed on Qatar Airways. Now thats the way to fly. 13 hrs ATL to Doha. 5 hrs Doha to Dhaka. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @saluki2007 - awesome!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @saluki2007 - Nice looking plate, those dresses are killer and I love the fact the groom isn't wearing shoes.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @saluki2007 - A great event right there and way to honor the couple and their heritage.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.