Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeah or Neigh, MLB bans the shift

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,595
    Options
    Upon further review, my above post should read "...against banning the shift..."
    Old age at work yesterday...and today and beyond.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Upon further review, my above post should read "...against banning the shift..."
    Old age at work yesterday...and today and beyond.   B)
    Most of us understood what you meant, Frank.  We do have *some* sense of your general world view, at this point ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,825
    Options
    I think you should be able to run the bases in any order you want.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Two thoughts: why should the league care where the teams put players? That is BS. As for the pitch count, who benefits? As a fan, the game is entertainment. Why rush it?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rekameohs
    Options
    I'm a purist when it comes to baseball, so I hate just about any change.   
    Same here. 

Still pissed about DHs.   Takes a lot of strategy out of the game - eg.  Pinch hit for the pitcher, have him try to bunt, etc, etc.   OTOH - it does let Ohtani play a lot more.
    Raleigh, NC
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited September 2022
    Options
    1) ditch rule 7.13 
    2) absolutely detest automatic runner on 2nd in extra innings. Let it go 20 innings if need be.
    3) DH is an abomination in both AL and NL 
    4) Always hated the shift
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Im all for banning the “junk shift” with every pitch. 

Helmet adjust
    Junk shift
    spit
    bat tap on home plate
    glove pull
    dirt kick
    Bat wiggle
    2nd junk shift

pitcher steps off the mound

repeat. 
    So you are not a fan of Juan Soto I take it.

Also, I agree.  Stand in the box and swing.  I wish they only got dirt to rub on their hands and no batting gloves.  Let alone the "sliding" oven mit half of them wear now.

I'm not sure if there was anyone worse than Chuck Knoblauch. The guy stepped out after every pitch to undo, readjust, Velcro back up his batting gloves, adjust his helmet, and get set back in the batters box.
    Until he couldn't throw to 1st base from 2nd. Eclectic guy and crazy stance sending everything to the right side. Hate to see anyone have their career ended by the yips. I know exactly what you mean by him stepping out though and doing his routine.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If teams can’t defeat the shift like my hapless Tigers, then too bad.  The defense is gambling that the hitter can’t hit away from the shift so make them pay.  Hit better.  Banning the shift artificially inflates the stats of guys who aren’t good enough to defeat the shift.  Maybe an asterisk can be added to future HOF plaques.
    *He was good, but he sucked against the shift.”

The DH?  What do y’all have against fat old guys?  They can’t field or run fast, but they can still hit.  That’s how Miggy, David Ortiz & Rusty Staub make/made a living.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,843
    Options
    If teams can’t defeat the shift like my hapless Tigers, then too bad.  The defense is gambling that the hitter can’t hit away from the shift so make them pay.  Hit better.  Banning the shift artificially inflates the stats of guys who aren’t good enough to defeat the shift.  Maybe an asterisk can be added to future HOF plaques.

The DH?  What do y’all have against fat old guys?  They can’t field or run fast, but they can still hit.  That’s how Miggy, David Ortiz & Rusty Staub make/made a living.

pretty happy for ortiz making the hall of fame as dh
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options

Yeah, if there's one thing the HOF needs it's more steroid guys.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    Options
    alleged steroid guy B)
    fukahwee maine

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,055
    Options
    alleged steroid guy B)
    He was steroid free with the MN Twins. I can promise you that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    alleged steroid guy B)
    He was steroid free with the MN Twins. I can promise you that. 
    For the red Sox he tested positive but they didn't know what for.....that was 2003 I think.  He deserves a dh hall of Fame and add a nice guy that loved the game
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,231
    Options
    I wonder what would happen of they setup an "unlimited" league.  Have the no alll natural league and then the everything goes league.

Everything goes league would allow PEDs, spider tack, corked bats, etc.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,562
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    And genetic engineering?  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,825
    Options
    I wonder what would happen of they setup an "unlimited" league.  Have the no alll natural league and then the everything goes league.

I'd watch that.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Yeah, if there's one thing the HOF needs it's more steroid guys.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CtTOPGUN
    Options
    With analysis of mechanics with all the video available they have made pitching superior to hitting. Better pitching with specific location makes it real hard to beat the shift. They experiment with moving the mound back. I hate that idea as I feel base stealing would be too easy. My suggestion is to allow a slightly thicker bat with a weight saving core to keep speed up. I don't know how else batting will catch up tho the increased spin rates and higher velocity we see deep into teams rotations.

DH? Born in '64 and being a Yankee fan it is all I really know. Since no pitcher swings anymore at developmental years it is silly to have them hit in the big leagues like the NL has done over the last decade. That time has passed and we still can't keep pitchers healthy.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim