Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeah or Neigh, MLB bans the shift

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,177
edited September 2022 in EggHead Forum
So Rob "worst commish ever" Manfred has decided to implement 15/20 second pitch clock and bans the shift.

I am torn, on the surface I always thought if an MLB cailber player could just learn to play small ball and poke it in the huge hole on the 3rd base side, the shift would naturally go away.  However, they haven't learned to do that with regularity.  Matt Carpenter tried with limited success.

Also, what does that do for stats now?  Carp as an example, would have been much more successful in his twilight years without the shift.  So many base hits have been robbed by the shift.

I vote nay.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm a purist when it comes to baseball, so I hate just about any change.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2022
    Options
    That is how I feel.  I am a free market, less regulation baseball fan.  Stick with the rules that have worked for 146 years.

However, I have liked the 3 batter min for pitchers.  I miss the era of complete games, and big angry pitchers.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    Still seething over the designated hitter I bet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,096
    edited September 2022
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Don't know about @JohnInCarolina, but I've always hated the DH.  Clearly it violates the very first rule of baseball...
    1.01 Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with
    these rules, under jurisdiction of one or more umpires.

Edit to answer @Ozzie_Isaac question: Nay
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I also hate change in baseball. But I hate the shift more.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Yep, hated that change ever since I was (googles DH history) ... 1 year old.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I also hate change in baseball. But I hate the shift more.
    But why?   It's just the outfield playing good defense.  I mean if you don't like defense then you're kind of missing a key aspect of baseball.

Getting a hit in MLB is still one of the hardest things to do in all of sports.  I guess I prefer to appreciate it when it happens rather than change the rules to make it happen more frequently.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    HeavyG said:
    Don't know about @JohnInCarolina, but I've always hated the DH.  Clearly it violates the very first rule of baseball...
    1.01 Baseball is a game between two teams of nine players each, under direction of a manager, played on an enclosed field in accordance with

I also hate the DH rule.  Pirchers should have to bat.  At the very least it keeps them a bit more honest when they throw at a guy.

Also, look how electeic Shoei is.  Putting in a DH takes away that killer benefit.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    Shift good. Dh good.....big bases .....,..,
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I believe that the fielders should be able to stand where they want.  What's next?  Are they going to paint 8 foot diameter circles where each fielder must stand until contact is made with the ball?  Then we can sit and watch synchronized split screen slow motion replays of fielders "leaving their bubble early" . . . before contact was made.  Send that back to NY for review.  Maybe add a rover while they are at it. . like we had in elementary school softball?  Maybe all softball teams have a rover, I don't know.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Next they get rid of the shortstop and center fielder, and limit pitch speeds to 90 mph.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    MLB should bring back some of the old rules that were eliminated waaaay back:
    - allow doctored pitches - spitballs, greaseballs, sanded balls, whateva
    - allow batters to again tell the pitcher they have to throw a high or low pitch
    - allow a fly ball to have one bounce before being caught and still be an out
    - pitchers have to release the ball at waist height or lower
    - balls that bounce over the outfield fence/wall are home runs

And all players have to have a breakfast of chipped beef and scotch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIMxn1BhI4

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @HeavyG I think you are being sarcastic.  I wouldn't say the rules on day 1, but after 50 years or so the rules should be pretty good.

Another rule I hate is Rule 7.13 (Buster Posey Rule).  That rule is terrible, and now after 7 years of being on the books they are changing how the interpret and enforce it?

P.S. Angel Hernandez should have been fired years ago.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @HeavyG I think you are being an ahole.
    FTFY
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    HeavyG said:

I also hate the DH rule.  Pirchers should have to bat.  At the very least it keeps them a bit more honest when they throw at a guy.

Also, look how electeic Shoei is.  Putting in a DH takes away that killer benefit.
    Right, the DH would seriously impair Ohtani’s benefits…oh wait, the DH exists. 

I can’t believe everyone wants to watch pitchers hit .150 and strike out 50% of the time because every hundred years or so somebody who can pitch and hit at a high level comes along.  Universal DH is the best decision MLB a has made in at least 15 years and it’s probably 20 years too late.

I’m agnostic about banning the shift; it may help some but it also smacks of outlawing a strategy because nobody can develop and/or implement a counter strategy.

I think pitch clocks also make tons of sense, and I wonder if that will push base stealing back as a strategy; if a runner knows the pitcher only has a few seconds left they can start stretching their lead.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    Options
    I am totally against the shift.  Spend a few minutes reading about Tony Gwynn and the "5.5" hole as a hitter.  These guys should be able to adapt to the player positioning and "hit it where they ain't."
    However, the game has devolved to either a home-run or strikeout and all the action to generate runs within the field of play is largely gone.  
    I get the pitch clock to move the game along especially with the short attention span/focus in vogue today.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Kill the DH, allow the shift - it’s just extreme positioning of fielders, there isn’t any threshold and there is as much risk to it as benefit.  

Teach your pitchers to hit and bunt and teach your batters to hit the ball to the hole.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    Beers should be two bucks including tip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    Options
    FTFY
    A sarcastic ahole to be most accurate.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
      Wrigley Field went cashless this year. Everything has to be bought with a card, even the beer guys walking the stadium. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    FTFY
    A sarcastic ahole to be most accurate.
    I recognize the phenotype, lol
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Im all for banning the “junk shift” with every pitch. 

Helmet adjust
    Junk shift
    spit
    bat tap on home plate
    glove pull
    dirt kick
    Bat wiggle
    2nd junk shift

pitcher steps off the mound

repeat. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Helmet adjust
    Junk shift
    spit
    bat tap on home plate
    glove pull
    dirt kick
    Bat wiggle
    2nd junk shift

repeat. 
    So you are not a fan of Juan Soto I take it.

Also, I agree.  Stand in the box and swing.  I wish they only got dirt to rub on their hands and no batting gloves.  Let alone the "sliding" oven mit half of them wear now.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,039
    Options

Helmet adjust
    Junk shift
    spit
    bat tap on home plate
    glove pull
    dirt kick
    Bat wiggle
    2nd junk shift

repeat. 
    So you are not a fan of Juan Soto I take it.

Also, I agree.  Stand in the box and swing.  I wish they only got dirt to rub on their hands and no batting gloves.  Let alone the "sliding" oven mit half of them wear now.

I'm not sure if there was anyone worse than Chuck Knoblauch. The guy stepped out after every pitch to undo, readjust, Velcro back up his batting gloves, adjust his helmet, and get set back in the batters box.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
      Wrigley Field went cashless this year. Everything has to be bought with a card, even the beer guys walking the stadium. 
    Same thing tonight at the new Rangers stadium. No cash anywhere.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Neigh on the shift... Play 9 players wherever you want and the offense should hit it where they ain’t…. DH batter over pitcher bc don’t no one want to see a pitcher swing the bat (minus Ohtani). As far as the batter staying in the batters box or pitch count seconds I thought they corrected that last season but doesn’t appear they enforce it… faster play, faster pace, better baseball IMO.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Many of these changes have been tested in the minor leagues, though from the example in St. Paul the pitch clock is really not enforced. I don't like the shifts, but also don't like rewarding those who are unwilling/unable to beat it naturally. My problem with today's baseball is that 40-45 percent of at bats don't result in a ball put into play and that makes for long, boring games. Not to mention the devaluation of defense and base running. Also not a fan of 12 teams making the playoffs, but I am also generally don't embrace change for change's sake.
    Stillwater, MN
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Who cares? It's FOOTBALL season!
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Bigger bases? No shift? A play clock? I have always believed baseball as a game of inches and that while there have been modifications to the rules, todays players are playing the same game as Ty Cobb, Joe DiMaggio, or Babe Ruth.

Aluminum bats will be next.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Weird they would ban the shift.  I don’t mind it, it’s not like they added a defender to make the shift.   But ultimately I’m indifferent.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas