Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A proper plate of food

2»

Comments

• Excellent and fascinating post, as always, John! For years there was no food to be found out on the 290 wine trail. All booze and no food, except the occasional cheese board. Are there now places to eat along the way? We haven't done the trail in about 5 years, so I know so much has changed.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    blind99 said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    Awesome looking day! Hye looks like my kind of place.
    Hye is cool. Some great wineries, garrison Bros. Bourbon distillery, hye cider, and some other cool stuff nearby. It’s all part of the Texas Wine Trail out here by where we live. Super fun to get out and about (although we do it way too often ha ha ) 
    For some reason I have a beer coozie “I’d rather be drinking garrison bros bourbon” 
    No idea how that got up here. Lost weekend?
    Oddly enough I am not of fan of Garrison.   Between a few of my friends we have tried many bottles hoping it would take—it hasn’t, and it’s NOT cheap either.   

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,054
    Garrison seems to be a love or hate thing, not much middle ground and no real difference between their small batch and single barrel.  I like it, but what I really like is their Balmorhea, it’s super rich.
    Not a felon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    That is indeed a proper plate of food and we love visiting Heath Sparkling Wines as you know.  That looks like a great weekend.

We drank some Heath this weekend on a friend's jet as we flew to Florida.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Excellent and fascinating post, as always, John! For years there was no food to be found out on the 290 wine trail. All booze and no food, except the occasional cheese board. Are there now places to eat along the way? We haven't done the trail in about 5 years, so I know so much has changed.
    It’s getting way better but we could use several new restaurants outside of Fredericksburg. We love Bryan’s on 290 in Johnson City, and Pecan St brewing is fun too. LeRoys TexMex bbq is new and is a fun spot east of fburg on  290. Eaker is a must stop for bbq if you are in the area. There are some fun food trucks popping up and Fredericksburg is getting 5-6 new restaurants as we speak. It’s headed the right way but definitely has some room to get better. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972
    Foghorn said:
    That is indeed a proper plate of food and we love visiting Heath Sparkling Wines as you know.  That looks like a great weekend.

We drank some Heath this weekend on a friend's jet as we flew to Florida.
    @foghorn that’s the way to travel!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle