Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Costco Connection July Cover Story, Women BBQ'ers

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,098
Short article about five women making their mark in bbq.  The lead in photo appears to have BGE in the background...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,853
    Options
    That's cool.  Back when this was a much more friendlier place there were some women who regularly posted here.

Frankly, I think that should be a goal as it would be a marker of a place that is truly welcoming.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's cool.  Back when this was a much more friendlier place there were some women who regularly posted here.

Frankly, I think that should be a goal as it would be a marker of a place that is truly welcoming.
    There were some amazing XX chromosome BBQ'rs here.  I think a few might lurk and occasionally post.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 948
    Options
    I'm sure they'd be be happy to be called XX Chromosome. Imagine if that's your name .. 

Sign here .. right next to the x ..
    U'm .. if I sign next to the x ..
    it'll spell xxx Chromosome
    Then, if you look me up on the net
    You'll get mostly the xxx and very little chromosomes. Trust me ...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    I'm sure they'd be be happy to be called XX Chromosome. Imagine if that's your name .. 

Sign here .. right next to the x ..
    U'm .. if I sign next to the x ..
    it'll spell xxx Chromosome
    Then, if you look me up on the net
    You'll get mostly the xxx and very little chromosomes. Trust me ...

I tried to stick to science so I didn't use the wrong term de jour.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Science is a moving target and even science can't agree on how fast it's moving. If science can't agree on how fast it's moving, there's no chance of it making a glue good enough, for you to even stick to it. Your efforts were futile ... Hell when top notch scientists can't even measure their own movements, what chance do we have of sticking to them?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I share your hope for a more inclusive forum.

I believe it would require a herd of buffaloes to achieve.  Between the mansplaining, micro-aggression, and sophomoric behavior, it's no wonder this place is a sausage-fest.  I will try to do better.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Foghorn said:

I believe it would require a herd of buffaloes to achieve.  Between the mansplaining, micro-aggression, and sophomoric behavior, it's no wonder this place is a sausage-fest.  I will try to do better.
    I wish MollyShark was still around. I gave her an inflatable sheep at the Waldorf Eggfest some twenty plus years ago. Her name was Polly .. Polly Vinyl and she had red lipstick and a little red bow under her chin. I miss her something awful. I thought I could easily replace her when I got back, but I haven't been able to find the perfect size for me to love like I did her. It turns out that love doesn't really come in all sheep's and sizes. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,572
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Bought my first thermapen from MollyShark, nice lady. Also miss biker Molly. 
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    I think I miss PNWFoodie the most.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I cannot recall the exact user name, but Florida Gal did some really cool cooks.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I cannot recall the exact user name, but Florida Gal did some really cool cooks.
    She actually made an appearance at some of our Zoom meetings.   She’s great.
  • Langner91
    Options
    Wasn't there a Smokingal?  I always thought it was SmokingAl, but turned out to be SmokinGal.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Wasn't there a Smokingal?  I always thought it was SmokingAl, but turned out to be SmokinGal.
    Yes.  Unfortunately she not only disappeared from the forum, but she stopped maintaining the cooking blog she had.  I think she mentioned some health issues at the time.  Some here fear the worst.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    Options
    There have been some great cooks offered by the women who used to infrequently participate on the forum.  Perhaps it was not as friendly back then.  
    @Florida Grillin Girl is the forum name of the one who participated in a few of the then weekly Friday Zoom sessions.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Referencing the article, Cookston’s Memphis BBQ Co. is the real deal.  She’s competing with the best in Memphis.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Langner91
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Yes.  Unfortunately she not only disappeared from the forum, but she stopped maintaining the cooking blog she had.  I think she mentioned some health issues at the time.  Some here fear the worst.
    I won't dislike, but it doesn't feel right to like.  Sorry to hear this.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2022
    Options
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,098
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @EggObsessed and @Florida Grillin Girl are a couple active members that come to mind for me.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Julie… the hooker?  That was her forum name?
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Haha, Julie's forum name is @Mainegg, you have to be an old timer to get the hook part.
    canuckland
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Foghorn said:

There is one thread that's a total sausage fest and it's a good one.
  • Langner91
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Langner91 said:
    Foghorn said:

There is one thread that's a total sausage fest and it's a good one.
    Good point!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    Options
    I'm still here. All of my eggs have been in storage for 4 months, so no eggin for me lately.  When I get my BGEs back, I am planning on some frikkin fantastic cooks to post here, so be ready!
    Great that you have surfaced here and are getting ready to fire 'em back up.  
    Can't wait for the postings. 
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,041
    Options
    Haha, Julie's forum name is @Mainegg, you have to be an old timer to get the hook part.
    Wasn't she up to something like 18 eggs at one point?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Wasn't she up to something like 18 eggs at one point?
    You mean 17? 😉
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,323
    Options
    I'm still here. All of my eggs have been in storage for 4 months, so no eggin for me lately.  When I get my BGEs back, I am planning on some frikkin fantastic cooks to post here, so be ready!
    You'll be like Wendy with the Lost Boys.