Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mother’s Day, what to Egg?

Options
ColbyLang
ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
Gang, that day rapidly approaching. Whole family coming here. 9 adults, 8 kiddos. Planning on Egret’s ham with a spiral ham that got frozen around Christmas. Question is, what other protein? Could do multiple hams, but that’s kinda boring to me. Small whole packer? 

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    My mom would have requested chicken thighs.

Enjoy the family!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    My wife would probably go with salmon rubbed with Raging River.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This may just be me,   but the sides are where it's at. 

The proteins seem pretty meh... ribs/pulled pork/brisket/etc. It's hard for me to get excited about them . Don't get me wrong, folks will miss it if you don't have at least 1 star protein.   But, they may enjoy a special side, or dessert , even more. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    With 8 kiddos a big pan of Mac and cheese. Grilled pineapple would be good. Salsa and chips.  Maybe good cornbread.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Agreed to killer set of sides. Also doing Commander’s Palace bread pudding soufflé for desert. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    The ham is pre-cooked, or will you oven cook? How long to cook?
    When I choose a second protein ... one is going to be more difficult and drive the time of the meal ... the second I want to be easier to cook, flexible/quick ... so I can finish at the same time as the main cook.

So if the ham is raw and going to take several hours ... the second protein I'd make easy ... like chicken thighs as suggested above, or maybe even a fish ... salmon?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    It’s a run of the mill Boar’s Head spiral honey ham. Just needs to get to edible temps. Gonna egret method it. On the hunt for a smaller prime packer. 
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    With 8 kiddos a big pan of Mac and cheese. Grilled pineapple would be good. Salsa and chips.  Maybe good cornbread.
    I have to agree on the mac and cheese for the kiddos depending on age and how picky they are.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Maybe consider asking the moms of honor what they would like. It is after all their day. 
    IL 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Big group, 8 kids to keep track of, people usually want to pick and nibble and talk. I would keep it simple and enjoy time with her.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Ricearoni sandwich with ketchup on white
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Agreed to killer set of sides. Also doing Commander’s Palace bread pudding soufflé for desert. 
    I need to look into that bread pudding souffle. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Prime rib roast would fit the bill with the quantity of folks you have coming.    But as you mentioned, a small packer would fit the bill too.    My wife really enjoys filets but at their current price that would be a strong bill with the mouths you are feeding.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rib roast sliders. I have done those a couple of times for large crowds, worked out really well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a big chicken pie. pie can be made ahead and cooked day of in the oven
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    I always struggle on mother's day, mostly because my mother was a snaggletoothed wench with cauliflower ears, course beard hair, lips like two 1950's era whoopie cushions, and one eye that always looked at your left ear .. no matter what was happening in the room (the other one took-in everything though, so it's not like we could have done all sorts of diabolical crap on that one side of her head, and gotten away with it. Trust me, we ran reconnaissance missions, so we knew fairly early-on ..  about that other eyes range).

So ummm what to cook for the women who has everything?

StumpBaby

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Probably grab some McDonalds on the way home.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ColbyLang
    Options
    Ham and a 12# prime packer for the win. Packer will go on Saturday night during bourbon drinking. Overnight it and pull it off in time for late lunch. Ham will go on during the final stages of the brisket’s ride. Stuffed potato casserole, marinated green bean salad, corn on the cob. Of course bread. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I picked up a tray of chicken thighs. Mom hasn’t had the Japanese barbecue sauce marinated chicken.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Results are in and it looks like we are planning smoked chicken & sausage with potatoes au gratin, green beans and likely bread pudding.
    LBGE
    AL
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Results are in and it looks like we are planning smoked chicken & sausage with potatoes au gratin, green beans and likely bread pudding.
    Ain’t nothing wrong with that
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    caliking said:
    This may just be me,   but the sides are where it's at. 

The proteins seem pretty meh... ribs/pulled pork/brisket/etc. It's hard for me to get excited about them . Don't get me wrong, folks will miss it if you don't have at least 1 star protein.   But, they may enjoy a special side, or dessert , even more. 
    This! 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options

for dessert look at Banana pudding 4 on allrecipes.com bus add more cool whip/more bananas/more wafers     It tastes like the old recipe that used to be on the wafer box.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We travelled to see the kids for the weekend. No cooking. Going out to an old favorite for mex tonight and then two bays at top golf tomorrow, all by her request.  She wants to go out and have fun with the kids.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Legume said:
    We travelled to see the kids for the weekend. No cooking. Going out to an old favorite for mex tonight and then two bays at top golf tomorrow, all by her request.  She wants to go out and have fun with the kids.
    #winning