Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Ever fix a NON BGE childhood dish? :OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880

I’m certainly am not implying that I grew up dirt poor, but “cash money” was not always in my parent’s home. When some cash flowed then a real treat was my Mother’s Hamburger Pie!  

I have always loved that meal in spite of how simple it was…cheap ingredients  to me today, but a rather expensive dish back then! 

Here’s my tribute dish picture in honor of my long deceased parents’s memory! 

How about any of you older eggers sharing your memory dishes?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    That looks really pretty good, Ron.  I bet if you did put that on the BGE to bake it that the added smoke could enhance it.  Care to share the recipe?

I don't have any pics but one of my favorite dishes my mother used to make when we were growing up was beef stroganoff.  We've made it a few times over the years - always good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    My sisters and I always joke that we had beef roast, boiled potatoes and cooked carrots every night of our childhood.  I won't eat a boiled potato to this day and my oldest sister can't be near a cooked carrot.

Needless to say, I don't make it much these days.

My mother was really amazing.  Even though we ate a lot of roast, and we had leftovers a lot, we rarely ate the same meal twice.  She was a master at fixing a meal one night, and then totally remaking something else with the leftovers.  Sunday night chicken turned into chicken pot pie on Wednesday night.  The aforementioned beef roast turned into stew or hash a couple of nights later.

Thanks for starting this, Ron.  I certainly miss her cooking and I know I have said it on this forum many times.  If she were here to boil potatoes and carrots her kids would be first in line to eat with her.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

My Mom used to make "Western Casserole" Ground beef, corn, kidney beans, cheese, tomato soup and some other stuff. My Dad hated it so she would only make it when he was on call, but we all loved it. My wife does not like it, so I usually make it when she goes out of town. I've even cooked it on the Egg before as pictured above. Simple, cheap but good. 

https://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/western-casserole/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i could make my moms french toast.....weight watchers skinny bread, powdered eggs and powdered milk, margarine, and a drizzle of corn syrup......but im not going to.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317
    Fried salmon (canned) croquets, rice-a-roni (beef flavored), and canned cream corn. Whenever the Mrs goes out of town.  
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Chicken Divan
    Memphis, TN
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Grilled chicken.  Mom said it as "well done" but it was just burnt (every time).   Every now and then I manage to follow in her footsteps...
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • fishlessman
    CP92 said:
    Fried salmon (canned) croquets, rice-a-roni (beef flavored), and canned cream corn. Whenever the Mrs goes out of town.  

i have to say that i do miss my moms rice-a-roni sandwiches on white with kethup. a real creative chef.......
    fukahwee maine

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317

i have to say that i do miss my moms rice-a-roni sandwiches on white with kethup. a real creative chef.......

Oh my. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    The one we still most often (usually once a month between late October/mid-March is Cabbage  Casserole. Originally it was ground beef, onion, garlic sauteed together with a can of tomato sauce; poured over chopped cabbage.  Bake covered for 45 min, uncover, top with grated cheese, bake for another 10.  Now we'll either use beef or turkey and usually use a big jar of salsa instead of the tomato sauce; and upgraded the cheese from pre-shredded mozzarella to a combo of fresh grated sharp cheddar and pepper jack.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    CP92 said:

Creamed corn makes a great sandwich right out of the can.  White bread, of course.
  • RRP
    That looks really pretty good, Ron.  I bet if you did put that on the BGE to bake it that the added smoke could enhance it.  Care to share the recipe?

Mrs. P’s Hamburger Pie

Ingredients:

1 # ground beef (I use 80/20)

1 large white onion diced 

1 cup small curd cottage cheese

2 eggs

Crust:

2 cups Bisquick

1/2 tea salt

1/2 cup cold water

Utensil:

8x8x2 glass baking dish

Mix diced onion and broken up beef in skillet and brown until meat looses it’s color. Salt to taste. I also add 2 or 3 good jolts of Maggi while the meat is browning.

Prepare crust and mix with spoons as wet Bisquick gets really sticky! What works for me is since it does not roll out well with a rolling pin is I drop the raw dough “glob” into the middle of the dish, cover the dish with Freeze-Tite brand or equivalent plastic wrap and start spreading the dough out and up the walls of the dish by merely pressing withe my fingers. It doesn’t have to be uniform in thickness, but working it that way goes pretty quickly.

Pour browned beef and onions into dish and level out.

In a measuring cup whisk 2 raw eggs and then add the cottage cheese mixing it all well with a spoon - NOT a mixer!

Pour this egg/cheese mixture over the top of the beef/onions. Spread so all it covered. Dust with freshly ground pepper.

Bake at 350º for 30 miutes.

ENJOY!

RRP - Dunlap, IL

• fishlessman
    Legume said:
    CP92 said:

Creamed corn makes a great sandwich right out of the can.  White bread, of course.

creamed corn isnt a big seller in new england, but for sandwiches its hard to beat a bean sandwich or a gorton sandwich with frenches (canadian pork spread and mustard) needs to be a new england gorton, not a flavorless canadian cretons
    fukahwee maine

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    RRP said:

Mrs. P’s Hamburger Pie

Ingredients:

2 eggs

Crust:

2 cups Bisquick

1/2 tea salt

1/2 cup cold water

Utensil:

8x8x2 glass baking dish

Mix diced onion and broken up beef in skillet and brown until meat looses it’s color. Salt to taste. I also add 2 or 3 good jolts of Maggi while the meat is browning.

Prepare crust and mix with spoons as wet Bisquick gets really sticky! What works for me is since it does not roll out well with a rolling pin is I drop the raw dough “glob” into the middle of the dish, cover the dish with Freeze-Tite brand or equivalent plastic wrap and start spreading the dough out and up the walls of the dish by merely pressing withe my fingers. It doesn’t have to be uniform in thickness, but working it that way goes pretty quickly.

In a measuring cup whisk 2 raw eggs and then add the cottage cheese mixing it all well with a spoon - NOT a mixer!

Pour this egg/cheese mixture over the top of the beef/onions. Spread so all it covered. Dust with freshly ground pepper.

ENJOY!

RRP - Dunlap, IL

Thanks Ron . . . added to "the List"! :)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    loco_engr said:
    RRP said:

Mrs. P’s Hamburger Pie

Ingredients:

2 eggs

Crust:

2 cups Bisquick

1/2 tea salt

1/2 cup cold water

Utensil:

8x8x2 glass baking dish

ENJOY!

RRP - Dunlap, IL

Thanks Ron . . . added to "the List"! :)
    Thanks, buddy!

Since typing that recipe with my one finger today I have seen that I had typos and exclusions!

I'm SORRY! let me try again!

Mrs. P’s Hamburger Pie

Ingredients:

2 eggs

Crust:

2 cups Bisquick

1/2 tea salt

1/2 cup cold water

Utensil:

8x8x2 glass baking dish (aka a 2 quart dish)

Prepare crust and mix with spoons as wet Bisquick gets really sticky! What works for me is since it does not roll out well with a rolling pin is I drop the raw dough “glob” into the middle of the dish, cover the dish with freeze-tite brand or equivalent plastic wrap and start spreading the dough out and up the walls of the dish by merely pressing with my fingers. It doesn’t have to be uniform in thickness, but working it that way goes pretty quickly and actually can become rather uniform without a lot of effort. Just remember to patch any holes!

After carefully removing the freeze-tite pour the browned beef and onions into dish and level out.

In a measuring cup whisk 2 raw eggs well and then add the cottage cheese mixing it all with a spoon - NOT a mixer!

Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.

ENJOY!

RRP - Dunlap, IL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Okay just what in the heck is Maggi? Other than that, good recipe. Mom did something similar but the hamburger also had tomato paste and green beans and it had biscuits on top instead of a bisquik crust. Most of what we ate depended on what was growing in the garden and what part of the calf purchased from our farmer uncle was left in the freezer. Unfortunately she could really desecrate a sirloin steak.
  • RRP
    edited April 2022
    Okay just what in the heck is Maggi? Other than that, good recipe. Mom did something similar but the hamburger also had tomato paste and green beans and it had biscuits on top instead of a bisquik crust. Most of what we ate depended on what was growing in the garden and what part of the calf purchased from our farmer uncle was left in the freezer. Unfortunately she could really desecrate a sirloin steak.

LOL - NOT real sure why you are saying your Mothers dish was similar! Kinda looks a whole BUNCH different than what I posted! but as for MAGGI...
    https://www.amazon.com/Maggi-Seasoning/dp/B002UR987M/ref=asc_df_B002UR987M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312252985817&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6018207053401195467&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022113&hvtargid=pla-571556593915&psc=1

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    CP92 said:

Was that something that was in the rotation?  Or was it only prepared for special occasions, like holidays and birthdays?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Maggi is like "Kitchen Bouquet" that my mother kept in the cupboard.  Whenever the gravy was a little bland, she would give it a little splash.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I still eat Ramen and now my kids like it too. I dress mine up now, but still have a straight bowl of Top Ramen sometimes.

My grandma used to make beef stroganoff. I never do, but should.  Like RRP due to money we got ground beef as a nice meal.  My mom liked hamburger helper, which I haven't made since college.
  • fishlessman
    edited April 2022
    CP92 said:

Was that something that was in the rotation?  Or was it only prepared for special occasions, like holidays and birthdays?

i can only wish it was in the rotation, it was one of her best dishes. canned chefboyardee roller coasters was another good one. her store bought frozen mashed potatoes cooked in the nuke were ok if you put them back in to thaw them out, might be better in the egg. mom put zero effort into food

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Musakka and Pilaf.........Harissa AKA Keshgag 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Mom worked till 9:00 at the bank so my Father, who could barely boil water often made me Campbell's tomato soup with elbow noodles thrown in with tons of black pepper. i still crave it from time to time when the wife and I vacillate all damn day on what we want for dinner and this dish becomes the last minute option.  
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I don't visit here as often as I used to, but I happened to see this one, and it's fun to see what people's happy memories are.

My favorite dish my mom made when I was a kid was meatballs that were browned and then simmered in undiluted Campbell's canned onion soup.  She served them with grits.  I not only still make it, once in a while, but I made it for my grandsons when they were young, and THEY loved it!!!  Maybe one day they'll make it for their own kids...  :)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Rice, pork chops, and mushroom soup.  I have tried and tried, but have not been able to make it turn out like my moms.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    CP92 said:

i can only wish it was in the rotation, it was one of her best dishes. canned chefboyardee roller coasters was another good one. her store bought frozen mashed potatoes cooked in the nuke were ok if you put them back in to thaw them out, might be better in the egg. mom put zero effort into food

Rice-a-roni and chef boyardee were staples for me as well. I had to look up roller coasters to make sure I wasn't missing something. 
  • RRP

I don't have any pics but one of my favorite dishes my mother used to make when we were growing up was beef stroganoff.  We've made it a few times over the years - always good!
    John, beef stroganoff is one one MY classic dishes which I LOVE and even serve to company by THEIR request! It really takes me much-o time, but well worth it. Funny thing is I have leaned since it takes me so long I ONLY use ribeyes and when COSTCO has PRIME then I only use that!

If you ever want a kick butt stroganoff recipe that will "knock your socks off" as us old farts used to say then just holler!...but be forewarned - when done right this recipe takes several hours and can't be rushed, much less dirties more skillets, DO and other items!

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Swiss steak over rice. I make it myself now. Have my own spin. Use cayenne and serranos to make it spicy. 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    When I was growing up Jonny marzetti was an exotic treat. Mom used velvita cheese,I switched to kraft 4 Italian cheese blend; I couldn't locate a recipe for that only a 3 cheese blend, and cheddar.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    MasterC said:
    When I was growing up Jonny marzetti was an exotic treat. Mom used velvita cheese,I switched to kraft 4 Italian cheese blend; I couldn't locate a recipe for that only a 3 cheese blend, and cheddar.

That is because if you make a 4 cheese blend, we may enter a wormhole and the time space continuum as we know it will cease to exist.  You're lucky to be alive!  On a more related note, I could eat that entire 9x13 in one sitting.  It look amazing.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI