Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Ever fix a NON BGE childhood dish? :OT

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    MasterC said:
    When I was growing up Jonny marzetti was an exotic treat. Mom used velvita cheese,I switched to kraft 4 Italian cheese blend; I couldn't locate a recipe for that only a 3 cheese blend, and cheddar.

Man that brings back some memories.  I'm pretty sure my mother used to make something a lot like this.  I can practically taste it through the screen.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    MasterC said:
    When I was growing up Jonny marzetti was an exotic treat. Mom used velvita cheese,I switched to kraft 4 Italian cheese blend; I couldn't locate a recipe for that only a 3 cheese blend, and cheddar.

ahhh american chop souy with cheese.  havent seen it in diners for years, im betting the younger generation has never seen it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    MasterC said:

Man that brings back some memories.  I'm pretty sure my mother used to make something a lot like this.  I can practically taste it through the screen.  
    So many memories of eating something similar to that as well.  Might have to make some this weekend since SWMBO is going out of town.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    RRP said:

I don't have any pics but one of my favorite dishes my mother used to make when we were growing up was beef stroganoff.  We've made it a few times over the years - always good!
    John, beef stroganoff is one one MY classic dishes which I LOVE and even serve to company by THEIR request! It really takes me much-o time, but well worth it. Funny thing is I have leaned since it takes me so long I ONLY use ribeyes and when COSTCO has PRIME then I only use that!

If you ever want a kick butt stroganoff recipe that will "knock your socks off" as us old farts used to say then just holler!...but be forewarned - when done right this recipe takes several hours and can't be rushed, much less dirties more skillets, DO and other items!

Would love to get more information about your beef stroganoff.  I make it every so often and it is really good, but would like to maybe try something new.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2022
    Options
    RRP said:

I don't have any pics but one of my favorite dishes my mother used to make when we were growing up was beef stroganoff.  We've made it a few times over the years - always good!
    John, beef stroganoff is one one MY classic dishes which I LOVE and even serve to company by THEIR request! It really takes me much-o time, but well worth it. Funny thing is I have leaned since it takes me so long I ONLY use ribeyes and when COSTCO has PRIME then I only use that!

If you ever want a kick butt stroganoff recipe that will "knock your socks off" as us old farts used to say then just holler!...but be forewarned - when done right this recipe takes several hours and can't be rushed, much less dirties more skillets, DO and other items!

Would love to get more information about your beef stroganoff.  I make it every so often and it is really good, but would like to maybe try something new.
    Here you go - this always takes me 3 hours to prepare so be warned! Also over the years I have made the mistake a few times using sirloin and even filets, but this recipe really shines when I use ribeyes ONLY!

BEEF STROGANOFF from RRP

Ingredients:

·      1.5 to 2 pounds ribeye (and ONLY ribeye!) cut in medium bite size pieces

·       enough flour in a plastic bag to shake raw meat

·      8 oz of white button mushrooms, sliced into thin pieces

·      1 large kosher dill pickle with rind removed and cut in small pieces (lay pickle spears on flat surface and use potato peeler)

·      1/3rd cup of the jarred pickle juice

·      3- 4 good dashes of celery seed OR fresh celery leaves are best

·      3-4 good dashes of dried parsley flakes

·      1/3rd  cup of diced onions – NOT sweet onions!

·      11 oz Swanson’s brand boxed beef broth

·      1/3rd package of wide egg noodles (4 oz)

·      1/3rd stick butter for noodles and 1/3rd stick for saute’d mushrooms

·      sour cream – enough for several BIG dollops

·      2 Wylers brand beef bouillon cubes

1.    Salt and pepper the cubed meat and then place in plastic bag with the flour.

2.    Clean and slice mushrooms and then sauté them in 1/3rd stick of butter stirring frequently as they cook. Do NOT drain – just set aside when done.

3.    Brown meat in a warm, but NOT hot skillet with veggie oil for 3 minutes, turning the pieces for another 3 minutes. Do NOT over cook! Will probably need to do 3 batches. Transfer these cooked pieces to a Dutch oven, which has been sprayed with PAM.

4.    Combine meat and mushrooms by layering them in the Dutch oven.

5.    Using blender combine the cut up pickle, pickle juice, celery seed or leaves, parsley flakes, diced onions and beef broth and beef bouillon cubes on the puree or liquefy setting for 4 minutes – CAUTION – even with lid on blender cover the cap as the mixture can blow ot the tiny air holes!

6.    Add blender mixture to the Dutch oven.

7.    OK to set the Dutch oven in the refrig after cooling until ready to move on to cooking!

8.    When ready to cook the meal, stir the mixture thoroughly and cook it with cover on, but ajar on a low #2 or 3 setting for 45 minutes, but be sure it does NOT get overcooked!!!  

9.    Cook the noodles with the butter and some salt in the water for 20 minutes.   

10.  Stir sour cream dollops well in to cooked stroganoff before spreading noodles on plate, top with stroganoff and…ENJOY!

11.  When storing leftovers keep meat and noodles in separate containers. Sous vide left overs for 90 min at 142º.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    @RRP - that recipe sounds pretty awesome!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thank you!  Sounds really good.  Will for sure be making this.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Great thread. PSA - see good use of Pyrex type pans, no bueno placing screaming hot ones on cold surface.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    Chicken Divan
    Reminds me of The Magic Pan, loved their chicken divan.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Here you go - this always takes me 3 hours to prepare so be warned! Also over the years I have made the mistake a few times using sirloin and even filets, but this recipe really shines when I use ribeyes ONLY!

BEEF STROGANOFF from RRP

Ingredients:

·      1 large kosher dill pickle with rind removed and cut in small pieces (lay pickle spears on flat surface and use potato peeler)

1.    Salt and pepper the cubed meat and then place in plastic bag with the flour.

2.    Clean and slice mushrooms and then sauté them in 1/3rd stick of butter stirring frequently as they cook. Do NOT drain – just set aside when done.

3.    Brown meat in a warm, but NOT hot skillet with veggie oil for 3 minutes, turning the pieces for another 3 minutes. Do NOT over cook! Will probably need to do 3 batches. Transfer these cooked pieces to a Dutch oven, which has been sprayed with PAM.

5.    Using blender combine the cut up pickle, pickle juice, celery seed or leaves, parsley flakes, diced onions and beef broth and beef bouillon cubes on the puree or liquefy setting for 4 minutes – CAUTION – even with lid on blender cover the cap as the mixture can blow ot the tiny air holes!

7.    OK to set the Dutch oven in the refrig after cooling until ready to move on to cooking!

8.    When ready to cook the meal, stir the mixture thoroughly and cook it with cover on, but ajar on a low #2 or 3 setting for 45 minutes, but be sure it does NOT get overcooked!!!  

9.    Cook the noodles with the butter and some salt in the water for 20 minutes.   

10.  Stir sour cream dollops well in to cooked stroganoff before spreading noodles on plate, top with stroganoff and…ENJOY!

11.  When storing leftovers keep meat and noodles in separate containers. Sous vide left overs for 90 min at 142º.

never heard of pickles in this dish, googled it. the russian versions dont seem to use pickles but the polish recipes pretty much all do.  copied for next time
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

BEEF STROGANOFF from RRP

Ingredients:

never heard of pickles in this dish, googled it. the russian versions dont seem to use pickles but the polish recipes pretty much all do.  copied for next time
    What a kicker your https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/18607/and-tonights-winner-is-gfws-stuffed-green-peppercomment  made! Way back in the early 1980's I had the brightest, kindest boss I ever had while in banking...he was the CFO of the HUGE financial institution based in Chicago and I was in charge of our 8 offices "downstate" as it Iwas called.

Bill was of Polish decent which being from Chicago was not all that uncommon. BTW at that time Polish jokes were a rage and most times hinged on being cruel! BUT Bill loved them and coulld tell and share the latest Pollock jokes
    out there!

Unfortunately for Bill's family, our institution AND the world Bill already knew he was pre-destined to have a short life span...just like his father and brother Bill passed away vwry early at age 50. 

Sh*t happens even to the BRIGHTEST, NICEST guya!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    My father didn't get to watch us alone very often, six boys and one girl, but I remember one particular time he had to watch us, and he also had to feed us all lunch. He did not look happy. He looked in the kitchen cabinet, grabbed a bunch of cans, some random stuff from the fridge and we had hot dog soup, which consisted of sliced hot dogs,  canned potatoes, one small can of crushed tomatoes, a small .. rather roughly and angrily chopped onion, all kinda violently boiled in chicken broth, which was coaxed to boiling sooner with words I cannot even describe and a rather unceremoniously bending of a ladle handle. In the end, it was shagnasty, but we all smiled like he had climbed mount everest with no sherpa, oxygen, chalk bag, or fidget spinner. 

Basically ...  true dat. 

StumpBaby

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    i have to say that i do miss my moms rice-a-roni sandwiches on white with kethup. a real creative chef.......
    Real tomato ketchup Fish?  
    Greensboro, NC
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    Mom worked till 9:00 at the bank so my Father, who could barely boil water often made me Campbell's tomato soup with elbow noodles thrown in with tons of black pepper. i still crave it from time to time when the wife and I vacillate all damn day on what we want for dinner and this dish becomes the last minute option.  
    I had store brand tomato soup straight up after microwaving along with a grilled cheese yesterday for lunch. Been a long time, and it was tasty 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    i have to say that i do miss my moms rice-a-roni sandwiches on white with kethup. a real creative chef.......
    Real tomato ketchup Fish?  

heinze, nothing but the best
    fukahwee maine