Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Oven Tools

Options
So I fired up the oven today, and realized I do not have the correct tools.

Think I need a turner, a brush, an ember mover, and a peel.

What tools do you all recommend and use the most, and what brand do you recommend?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Oven…like inside? Then what is this ”turner” “brush” and  “ember mover” of which you mention? Only things I use inside in my oven is my pizza stone and my metal peel. Then I I use my wooden peel to cut the pizza on and serve from.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,201
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oven…like inside? Then what is this ”turner” “brush” and  “ember mover” of which you mention? Only things I use inside in my oven is my pizza stone and my metal peel. Then I I use my wooden peel to cut the pizza on and serve from.
    Sorry, I was talking wood fired ovens.  I have a new wood fired oven in my outdoor kitchen and it is a new beast for me.

The picture below was me getting it up to temp before I attempted to slide the coals and wood over to the side.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Got it…sorry to have jumped ahead
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina can probably recommend a good crawfish paddle,  that doubles as a decent metal peel. 

Paging @SciAggie , as well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Came to ping the Sciaggie but caliking already did.  @Ozzie_Isaac I am not sure if you were active here during the sciaggie's reign of culinary dominance on the forum.  From his outdoor kitchen build to his "Oh I just whipped up some leftovers" that looked food magazine centerfold worthy. . . 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Came to ping the Sciaggie but caliking already did.  @Ozzie_Isaac I am not sure if you were active here during the sciaggie's reign of culinary dominance on the forum.  From his outdoor kitchen build to his "Oh I just whipped up some leftovers" that looked food magazine centerfold worthy. . . 
    I was, he was the impetus for getting a wood fired oven.  All of his cooks are amazing.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2022
    Options
    GI Metals is the industry standard. I've got their 12" & 16" perforated aluminum peels (which I highly recommend), turning peel, ash shovel and brass bristle brush in their Azzurra line. I've been pleased with the quality.   
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I went thru this on the highest level.  I had several ideas.  First how do youbuse your oven.  Do you burn in the center and move embers to the left, right or back.  Or do you have a log holder and the wood is elevated.  I have a alfa 4 pizze oven.  It's not huge but that heat is.

I use a basic restaurant supply, Amazon, inexpensive wooden peel to load and launch pizzas in to the oven.   I use a 8 inch round tuning peel to spin, rotate, lift up into the dome, and to remove pizzas. My handles are semi longer than you think you need.  I do not cut pizza on the peels.  I use round metal flat pans for pizza to serve on and cut on those.

I use a small shovel with a handle and a hand held brush for ash clean up, as the oven is cook.

If you build your fire in the middle and then move it over then you need an ember mover with handle. I lastly have the Popeye extend a grab log grabber to pickup logs that rolled off in the heat.  A blue charcoal holder plastic can for the ash during clean up

For dough a plastic bin, a pointed spiked roller, 

Goto home depot for a tool holder it's easier 

Gimetal.com has tons of stuff.  alfa pizza tool set is almost everything in a kit.

Pics to follow.
    https://www.kickassgrills.com/alfa-ac-5pset36-36-inch-medium-pizza-peel-turner-brush-rake-and-shovel.html?sel=382848&st-t=search&vt-k=&vt-mt=&vt-ap=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtSSBhDYARIsAEn0thQRGNcLR3fcy6Y35OL7JkMohElD8QhzghYW-lGpcpHeBbteqHqCe4MaAsxOEALw_wcB
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    I have had a pizza oven for 5 years, looks identical to the one in the photo above. There are two tools that are important to me:

(1) Pizza Peel with a long handle ... prefer all metal (including handle)
    (2) Pizza Oven Scraper Brush ... use it to push coals, scrape the bricks and brush ashes.

37 Pizza Oven Brush with Scraper
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    All, thank you for the help.

From a use case, I am learning, but plan to use it for pizza and roasting meats.  I have been building a fire in the middle and pushing it over to the side.  I also got a rack to hold the wood and plan to try that also.

@jdMyers I think you had responded with tool recommendations on one of my earlier threads, but I couldn't find it.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond again.

@Mark_B_Good do you like that head orientation on the brush, or one with the brush in-line with the handle?  Also, any issues with bristles coming off?  I am not a fan of wire bristles, after biting into a loose bristle that adhered to piece of chicken from the grill.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    *resisting wood fired pizza oven rabbit hole*

I have now spent my lunch hour (plus) watching videos on how to light, how to build the fire, how to turn a pizza, and how to sweep the floor of ash and soot.  All the tools, all the techniques!  

I am glad you can't find redgum wood here in the states....

Dang, it looks fun!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SonVolt
    Options

@Mark_B_Good do you like that head orientation on the brush, or one with the brush in-line with the handle?  Also, any issues with bristles coming off?  I am not a fan of wire bristles, after biting into a loose bristle that adhered to piece of chicken from the grill.

A lot of brushes have heads that can be rotated. If you look at JD Myer's brush you can see the wingnut that can be loosened and the head rotated 90 degrees. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    All, thank you for the help.

From a use case, I am learning, but plan to use it for pizza and roasting meats.  I have been building a fire in the middle and pushing it over to the side.  I also got a rack to hold the wood and plan to try that also.

@jdMyers I think you had responded with tool recommendations on one of my earlier threads, but I couldn't find it.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond again.

Ozzie, I have an ash grate at the back center of my pizza oven. I put my wood in the back, left corner of the oven ... so I need to push the ashes to the back and right to get to the ash grate.  You'll always have trouble in one direction or the other, so it's a matter of what is the better of the two evils. Personally, I'd rather be able to push to back, because mostly, I'm trying to keep those ashes away from the front fire bricks where the pizza lays. Yes, it is a pain to push the ashes to the right towards the ash grate, but the long handle helps me put the bristles on a 45 degree and work the ashes to the center. 

I would hate to bite into a bristle man ... that must have been awful. So far, no issues ... after I sweep with the bristles, I ALWAYS flip it to the scrapper side and move any residue and remaining ashes to the back of the oven ... you can physically see the bricks are absolutely clean before throwing the pizza in, so I don't think there's much risk, if you're a bit careful just observing the cleaned area. It's also so hot, that everything turns to ashes ... nothing sticks ... so it's easy to clean the fire bricks well with the scraper, and you'll notice even the smallest thing left on the bricks if they aren't cleaned properly.
  • jdMyers
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Items of importance.  Vs usage.  

#1.  Never use sap wood.  
    #2.  Never use fire starters that contain sap wood.

They oose and burn the brick bottom leaving horrible taste.  If you see wood oozing sap get rid of it.  Scissor log grabber is great for that.

I used to build fires only on the log burner.  Fire takes to long to heat up the brick floor.  I now build on the floor but on the one side to develope coals then put in rack and burn from there.  However I learned the rack isn't needed truthfully.  

Ref loading peels wood is easiest to use.  Metal perforated sheds more flour before putting it in the oven.

8 inch long handle turn peel is the best for rotating and raising as well as removing.  Small yet sturdy.  Longer handle a must

Once you use one you don't look back.

If you build fires on the side and continue to load wood on the side you don't need a ember mover.

hardly use it since I don't burn in the middle anymore.

Adjustable brush is nice. Steel or brass if in hot oven.  In a cold oven.  I use the pool table brush and dust pan.  Easier.  Not hot. Cheaper.

If your cooking meats or other.  Build up coals and put the cooking grate or Tuscany over the coals.  Keeps drips off the oven floor 

Harbor freight point and aim inferred  thermometer.  Cheap.  See oven floor temp b4 cooking.

But it was said above.  A good brush, a peel, and a turner long handles is minimal all you need.  

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options

Bbq 500 is perfect for grilling inside the oven.  It rotates and pivots.  Keeps drippings off brick.

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Pizza pliers works great for Lloyd's deep dish and other lipped pans.  Local pizza hut will usually Give you a pair.

Dough dockers help alot with air bubbles.  Pointed not squared tips

Columbus, Ohio
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I should have known.  The oven was only half the battle!  So many new toys, I mean tools to get.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2022
    Options
    You are all a terrible influence.  There are a million versions of all these things, here is what I finally settled on.  Handles seem overly long, but after practicing with a broom stick they should work.  Wish the shovel came in 47", but it was not available in that length from this site.  I almost got an ember tool too, but decided I could just use the shovel, or make one from some scrap I have laying around. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    @JohnInCarolina can probably recommend a good crawfish paddle,  that doubles as a decent metal peel. 

Paging @SciAggie , as well. 
    This sounds perfect for me…deets?!  :D
    Options
    You guys are killing my wallet. Bout to pull the trigger on a 16” dual fuel Ooni Karu. Told my wife it could be my Fathers Day present. Hoping she’s cool with it. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,256
    edited April 2022
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    You guys are killing my wallet. Bout to pull the trigger on a 16” dual fuel Ooni Karu. Told my wife it could be my Fathers Day present. Hoping she’s cool with it. 
    You’ll love it. We bought one a few months back to travel with us in the RV. Using gas (assuming you bought the gas burner option) I have had it up to Neapolitan temps in about 30 minutes. 

This particular pizza had sugar in the dough (purchased from local pizzeria as it was a last minute decision) so I couldn’t crank up the temps.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,462
    Options
    CTMike said:
    ColbyLang said:
    You’ll love it. We bought one a few months back to travel with us in the RV. Using gas (assuming you bought the gas burner option) I have had it up to Neapolitan temps in about 30 minutes. 

This particular pizza had sugar in the dough (purchased from local pizzeria as it was a last minute decision) so I couldn’t crank up the temps.
    This is what I’m looking for. Someone who uses it portable. Wife doesn’t want it cluttering up the granite outside as we have space, but not for a permanent pizza oven. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    You are all a terrible influence.  There are a million versions of all these things, here is what I finally settled on.  Handles seem overly long, but after practicing with a broom stick they should work.  Wish the shovel came in 47", but it was not available in that length from this site.  I almost got an ember tool too, but decided I could just use the shovel, or make one from some scrap I have laying around. 

Nice haul!

One of the million videos I have watched had the guy using a "natural" bristle brush.  He said the bristles will singe a little, but the head is replaceable and it prevents eating a brass wire.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jdMyers
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The gi metal stuff is nice and looks good hanging together.  My ember tool and shovel I got from local restaurant supply.  Very inexpensive.  Wood peels from restaurant supply are $10.  Restaurant supply pizza pans are $2.99 -$4.99.  wasserstrom, and restaurant equippers.com.  the pliers amazon.  Call gu metals and ask for a discount 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SonVolt
    Options

For the launching peel, I'd probably go with 1 size larger than you plan to make. So if you're shooting for a 12" pizza get the 14" peel. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Items of importance.  Vs usage.  

#1.  Never use sap wood.  
    #2.  Never use fire starters that contain sap wood.

They oose and burn the brick bottom leaving horrible taste.  If you see wood oozing sap get rid of it.  Scissor log grabber is great for that.

I used to build fires only on the log burner.  Fire takes to long to heat up the brick floor.  I now build on the floor but on the one side to develope coals then put in rack and burn from there.  However I learned the rack isn't needed truthfully.  

Ref loading peels wood is easiest to use.  Metal perforated sheds more flour before putting it in the oven.

8 inch long handle turn peel is the best for rotating and raising as well as removing.  Small yet sturdy.  Longer handle a must

Once you use one you don't look back.

If you build fires on the side and continue to load wood on the side you don't need a ember mover.

hardly use it since I don't burn in the middle anymore.

Adjustable brush is nice. Steel or brass if in hot oven.  In a cold oven.  I use the pool table brush and dust pan.  Easier.  Not hot. Cheaper.

If your cooking meats or other.  Build up coals and put the cooking grate or Tuscany over the coals.  Keeps drips off the oven floor 

Harbor freight point and aim inferred  thermometer.  Cheap.  See oven floor temp b4 cooking.

But it was said above.  A good brush, a peel, and a turner long handles is minimal all you need.  

I'd prefer that if the scraper blade was actually on the bristle head ... so it could be the full width, instead of that tiny scaper. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2022
    Options
    SonVolt said:

For the launching peel, I'd probably go with 1 size larger than you plan to make. So if you're shooting for a 12" pizza get the 14" peel. 
    The opening on my oven is 18", so I thought a 12" peel is about as large as I should go until I become more proficient.  I am completely new at this and outside of some YouTube videos and your folks help I am clueless.

I have 30 days to learn and order more tools.  I have a free 30 membership to webstraunt.com which gives free shipping.  Without that, the shipping from all places I tried was extremely expensive (~$100) the one place with "free shipping" made up for it in the unit price.  The old adage remains true, TANSTAAFL.  I was not able to find any gi metal dealers in my town.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:

The opening on my oven is 18", so I thought a 12" peel is about as large as I should go until I become more proficient.  I am completely new at this and outside of some YouTube videos and your folks help I am clueless.

I have 30 days to learn and order more tools.  I have a free 30 membership to webstraunt.com which gives free shipping.  Without that, the shipping from all places I tried was extremely expensive (~$100) the one place with "free shipping" made up for it in the unit price.  The old adage remains true, TANSTAAFL.  I was not able to find any gi metal dealers in my town.

Did you try GI Metals website? I think I paid $15 in shipping the last time I ordered from them direct. 

Interesting on the Webstaurant program, b/c their shipping rates have always been outrageous for me. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Did you try GI Metals website? I think I paid $15 in shipping the last time I ordered from them direct. 

Interesting on the Webstaurant program, b/c their shipping rates have always been outrageous for me. 
    I got to the point where I had to create an accountant to see shipping, I did not go further.  Maybe I should have.

Webstraunt's shipping was outrageous so I initially stopped the order process.  After another few hours searching and trying combinations of options from other sites I bit the bullet and signed up for free month of free shipping, then $99/month after.  Supposedly I can cancel at anytime, so I plan to cancel in a few weeks.  The price overall between GiMetal online store and Webstraunt was close, with the edge going to Webstraunt.  Only issue was the lengths of each piece was a bit different.  Would have just preferred all 47" lengths.

Hopefully it all works out.  In the future I will order direct from GiMetal if there shipping really is more reasonable.