Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping Grills

Options
I’m in the market for a portable car camping grill.  I prefer charcoal but could do gas.  Electric wont work.  Don’t want to spring for the minimax.  Currently considering the Weber go anywhere, smokey joe and lodge sportsman.  Any feedback/recommendations?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My vote goes to the Weber Go Anywhere charcoal version.

You can tweak the temp as you like, direct/indirect, all without burning too much charcoal. It can really crank out some delicious grub, if you get creative. Or, simple cooks. Very portable. And, very compact to easily stow away in your vehicle.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I went with the Go Anywhere, though I really wanted the little Smokey Joe. The Go Anywhere packs a lot better for car camping, and you can keep it in the box if you cut a hole for the handle. 

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    The guy that "car camps" down by the bridge has a metal coffee can and a small piece of screen.  

Seriously, the Go Anywhere would probably be a little more useful.  The Smokey Joe would be almost too small to cook on for more than one or two adults.  It is basically a minimax sized grill.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I have a Weber Smokey Joe, works like a champ and is very durable. 4 burgers and 4 hot dogs at a time is no issue.
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I use a Weber Jumbo Joe weekly in the summer to feed my softball team. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i would pick the weber go anywhere but would also want a small blackstone to simplify breakfast and quick burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Weber Q works …..
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Weber has a hew folding model of portable gas grill available. Its pretty slick but will push up there in price point to where you may not want to venture.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/portable-grills/weber-traveler/
  • Kayak
    Options
    That seems bigger than this:

Weber Q 1000 Gas Grill image number 0

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• pgprescott
    Options
    Yep it is. Folds down though and has wheels. Pretty cool, the thing folds down with an assist from air shocks of some sort. Not for everyone, but pretty versatile for tailgating and camping.
    Weber Traveler Portable Gas Grill image number 4

Weber Traveler Portable Gas Grill image number 3
  • Kayak
    Options
    I don't know, look at the muscles it takes to haul that thing around!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    We use the charcoal go anywhere. Perfect for two people 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    For 2-4 people we get by fine with a Weber Smokey Joe and a Coleman 413G.  The Coleman is the heavy hitter for breakfast fare.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,609
    Options
    I’d skip gas, I’ve never had a small gas grill that did any better than you would need for hot dogs and they always seem to be more of a pain to clean than charcoal grills.

Weber Jumbo Joe is <$100 and is a better size than the smoky joe.

Orion makes a different kind of cooker that takes charcoal and is very versatile - not your traditional grill though.

Snow Peak makes a folding stainless grill, really good company for titanium cookware, not sure about the grill.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    One thing I'd keep in mind is that depending upon where/when you may be camping the only grills allowed may be those that are gas fueled.
    So that means you need to buy two different types of grills so you can pack according to conditions. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    PKGo? Lit has experience but he's not here.
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,609
    Options
    When I can’t have a fire or use charcoal, I use a grill pan on my camp stove, it’s about the same as a portable gas grill.

One thing to consider is the range of what you’ll be cooking when camping.  I know I’ll never cook ribs or smoke a pork butt or unlikely even fish when camping.  Kabobs or a steak are probably the fanciest I’ll go camping unless I precook ribs to heat up.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    When I can’t have a fire or use charcoal, I use a grill pan on my camp stove, it’s about the same as a portable gas grill.

One thing to consider is the range of what you’ll be cooking when camping.  I know I’ll never cook ribs or smoke a pork butt or unlikely even fish when camping.  Kabobs or a steak are probably the fanciest I’ll go camping unless I precook ribs to heat up.

we have wilderness sites up here that you can get to by boat. theres usually a full tday turkey dinner smoked up with a propane smoker, a leg of lamb seared in an open fire then slow roasted next to the fire on a flat rock. theres always fish. theres also a 14x22 foot safari tent with  wood stove for heat and a 3 gallon water heater attached to the stove. full cots, card table......oh, and a couple kegs floating in the cold lake water. is this what everyone calls camping
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Wonder if @Ton_Til has any experience with portable grills.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Legume said:

we have wilderness sites up here that you can get to by boat. theres usually a full tday turkey dinner smoked up with a propane smoker, a leg of lamb seared in an open fire then slow roasted next to the fire on a flat rock. theres always fish. theres also a 14x22 foot safari tent with  wood stove for heat and a 3 gallon water heater attached to the stove. full cots, card table......oh, and a couple kegs floating in the cold lake water. is this what everyone calls camping

My ex-wife's definition of roughin' it is "slow room service".

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Why @GrateEggspectations? Just why
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:

My ex-wife's definition of roughin' it is "slow room service".

these areas were heavily logged back in the late 1800's or so. theres still a few outhouses standing, but you have to find them. last trip out i found a 3 seater an someone even left a roll :D
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Not sure when paging a member with relevant experience became taboo. But perhaps it’s appropriate to channel the line one member once chided me with when I innocently asked another member whether photos were his (and was correct in my suspicion that he was in fact a professional photographer)…. “Care to post the thread rules?”
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Plus, he seems to be preoccupied by something other than his grill. Just look at his gaze. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Plus, he seems to be preoccupied by something other than his grill. Just look at his gaze. 
    He’s simply anxious to get to the campsite and pitch a tent. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I’m sorry @GrateEggspectations if you want to hang out with @lit be my guest.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Not sure when paging a member with relevant experience became taboo. But perhaps it’s appropriate to channel the line one member once chided me with when I innocently asked another member whether photos were his (and was correct in my suspicion that he was in fact a professional photographer)…. “Care to post the thread rules?”
    I would think paging a member that has been banned by the mods and is operating under an obvious troll account is perhaps a slightly different story.  

Regardless, the dude hasn’t been active of late.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Yep it is. Folds down though and has wheels. Pretty cool, the thing folds down with an assist from air shocks of some sort. Not for everyone, but pretty versatile for tailgating and camping.
    Weber Traveler Portable Gas Grill image number 4

Weber Traveler Portable Gas Grill image number 3
    This is kind of a neat little thing.  I’m surprised I’ve never seen it before. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’m sorry @GrateEggspectations if you want to hang out with @lit be my guest.
    Just trying to help the OP get some good info corresponding to his ask. For most of us here, that’s what the forum is all about. It’s not my responsibility to police the posts of others or to determine whether they are deserving of being here or not; just as it isn’t yours.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I’m getting taken to the woodshed by a Canadian! I should seriously re evaluate my social discord.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.