Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When it rains it pours then you can not EGG!

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited April 2022 in EggHead Forum
NOT FOR THE FAINT HEART. I will be  LIVING through your  EGG food PHOTOS, BE thoughtful  AND SHARE THEM photos PLEASE!

I first want to apologize for my appearance if this is unacceptable or in the wrong spot.  I find this forum to be family and therapeutic.

So after many many years of running a business being on ladders, climbing etc. I was transitioning out of that type of work and into a 9 ta 5.  So of course on my last side job I was put into a position to FIND BIGFOOT.  They can cancel the tv series. I have found him.  It's me.

Coming down a 7ft step ladder the front legs collapsed into a sorta sink hole.  Never put a ladder up against concrete like a patio or side walk edge.  No great packed soil there or so it seems.

Ladder dropped in and began to throw me off.  So like any other guy ehhh.  I'll just jump off.  Not that high. Only on the 3rd or 4th step.

Landed in a rockbed landscape similar to this below.  Rolled and broke my ankle and leg.

The knuckle broke off the ankle part of the bone like a the shelf breaking off on an iceberg in anartica.  The leg bone fracture cut thru the bone like a samari worrior slicing thru bamboo with his sword.

8 screws and an inverted "Y" plate.  6 to 8 weeks bed, layed up they say.  Surgery yesterday.  Went well.  But dayum I want to grill. Not sure of how everyone else does it.  But the wife doesn't touch my egg.

Thanks for listening just needed to pick myself up by looking at everyone's food pics.
Jd
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    WOW - what an injury, but also some great reconstructive work by some talented doctor!
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Good luck to you. With all your posts and pics I'm certain you'll be missing it big time. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    if those screw tips are sticking thru the bone like it looks, thats going to be painful as things get better. my brother had both ankles replaced and one screw was penetrating the muscle on the back side on one leg after the initial fix before the replacements
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jdMyers
    Options
    I go back on the 4th and was going to ask about the length and future problems.  Then again don't know If they are permanent yet 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,106
    Options
    Sad to hear about your misfortune.  Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Damn, that’s tough.  Really tough.  Sorry this happened.

I really think what we need (and you’re probably the right guy to set it up) is a newb mentorship program.  New people with eggs that want to learn, they can get paired with a mentor (you) and FaceTime with you when they have questions, or for guidance on a big cook.  Setting the egg up correctly, lump and wood chunk placement, trimming a brisket, etc.  you can help people and cook vicariously through their efforts.

Or, this is a really bad idea and you need to hire a neighborhood kid or family member to cook while you shout instructions over FaceTime.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    Options
    That is one he!! of an outcome after that landing.  In the grand scheme it could have been worse regarding where you made the initial contact but still some serious reconstructive surgery at work.  
    I am surprised at the extended down-time these days.  You may get into the PT realm sooner than you think.  
    Keep the positive spirits,  You could leverage this opportunity to suggest to your wife that she deserves her own BGE.  Get one and begin the tutorial.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    I appreciate the kind words.  This forum has been awesome and it's because of you folks.  Great idea on the newb section.  It might help all of us.  I know I second guess myself all the time.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry to hear.  I had a similar injury over 20 years ago.  End of my tibia on the ankle side broke off and flipped over.   Surgery corrected it, but I was told I may never walk the same again.  They put in a bunch of screws, also removed hip bone and transplanted down there to help glue everything back together.

They said they would remove screws if they bothered me.  Ended up not needed to.  My hip hurt worse than my ankle for a while.  Took about a year for the bruise to go away.  Bothered me for about 10 years, especially when the weather changed.  But I'm fully recovered.  Sucked when I ran out of pain killers, but I didn't want to get hooked.

I had some trouble going through security when they used the metal detectors.  Now with the new technology, it's not a problem.
    Bummer!  Wife touch Egg?  Not in a million years.  Look at the bright side, you can do what I did when I was laid up and rewatch every season of the Sopranos.  😀
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,709
    Options
    I can come clean the protein out of your fridge if that will help reduce stress.  Seriously though dang, that looks rough, I hope you have a speedy return, I always enjoy your cooking posts.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,208
    Options
    Oh man, sorry that happened to you.  Seems like it is always something we have a done a million times that jumps out and bites you.  Glad they were able to repair you, hopefully in a year this will be nothing but a bad memory.

Get well!!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,597
    Options
    Damn!!!Take care and here’s to a speedy recovery 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Wow - hoping you have a full and speedy recovery.  My wife won’t touch my eggs either (her choice, not mine).  Pre egg and hasty bake, we cooked on a Weber kettle.  She was perfectly comfortable with that, so several years ago, we acquired a new weber and she loves it.  Might be a way to get your wife grilling for you??? 

Good luck! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

posted to FaceBook Big Green Egg BBQers hope this helps:
    Calling any Columbus,OH eggheads!
    I'm sure he would appreciate an occasional good will BGE grilled/smoked protein. Thanks
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh man. So sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy recovery. We have seen and heard about some gruesome injuries on here. This is right up there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,378
    Options
    Godspeed on your recovery 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,066
    Options
    That sucks!  I feel for you man.  This all reminds me of when I effed up my knee and needed all kinds of surgery to fix it:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Hilarious 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Holy hardware, Batman! Hope you're starting to feel better after surgery. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    Options
    Ouch, wishing you a speedy recovery,
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Ladders are the devil's work. Get well soon.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    GET WELL !!!
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe